KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Metroid

Metroid
Started by: parenthesis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xyz9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Metroid

Cannot find Metroid thread, so posting this here.

Metroid and Scopohilia!

I can't understand how brilliant this is. The most obvious way of putting it is fighting "mother brain" behind a lens, as if looking at the mother's brain when a child first looks into a mother's eye.

See, in most side scrollers, you're looking to the right where you access emotional, visual, aural memory etc. and the left is concept. You all remember the look of Bowser and Ganon, but Mother Brain is a bit of a blur to you. This is because Mother Brain is on the left of screen where you access your conceptual side, which kinda puts you off. (This is actually even more brilliant, but I'll get back to that)

Okay, so what's concept? When you come up with ideas. Ideas like jumping over a goomba, or going in that cave to find the sword. Metroid combines these above and beyond, for example, ice beams, grapple beam, save stations, etc. Your ideas come when you look at the left, which is why finding the morph ball in the first game is such an amazing experience when you're all alone and your eyes wander. The ball itself draws your pupils onto it, reminding you that Samus, behind her mirror like visor, is you, and you should keep an eye on her. (How genius is that?)

Interesting fact, every game since that one all started with you going into the left direction......except for Other M. :/

You need to be looking at Samus the whole time to work out your next moves, but you also need to get used to the idea of shooting in all directions, going down etc. These games as sidescrollers really focus on solving puzzles and understanding how to grow stronger, as you see the environment around you decay. This is a feeling of growth, which is pretty awesome.

One down side or good side is "back tracking", you remember the visual environments so much going to the right, your eyes drift to the left and think, I should see what's over there. The disadvantage is this can be annoying, the advantage is this is getting you used to using your conceptual side to find out tactics to defeat bosses or advance into further areas. Remember fighting Kraid? His entire image is embedded in your memory on the right side, on the left is you making sure you know when to shoot and when to jump, etc.

What it teaches you. It teaches you to use your eyes and your mind! Pointlessly bashing the buttons like pretty much every other game is pretty boring from a game perspective. You want to be active, and Metroid certainly makes your eyes active. But why?

Well, it comes to the power of the eye itself my friends. Scopophilia is loving looking. All children experience this, seeing is the first thing the child learns from the mother. The child loves the mother so much that it loves looking at the mother as the mother taught it how to see in the first place. But what was so great in the mother's eye? What did you see in it?

Well, whatever, onto landing on mother earth, I mean Zebes, Samus' home planet where she was raised by birds! Exploring the wildlife, the ecosystem, til eventually she goes to the main control centre, mother brain! You realise mother brain as a threat and by penetrating the glass in front of the brain, you can now attack it with your missles and whatnot, and this time you have to look at the right to figure out what to do next! This uses both parts of the brain in the wrong direction, so you have to move your right eye over to the left to remember mother brain, (this angle as if you're looking back into your mother's eye!!) and your left eye over to the right to really see all this weird shit hurting you. This right eye looking left and left eye looking right is the movement our faces make when we panic. Other bosses in most games had the boss move side to side to try and do this, Metroid used narrative and visuals. We are panicking like crazy, yet Samus is pretty much stationary. I can tell you one thing, no other final boss fight is like Mother ****ing Brain! Then you have to ****ing escape!! I imagine the game developers had this very much in mind!

Why is Samus a woman? Well, I gues Nintendo were too scared to make a guy use his manliness to destroy motherhood, so make Samus a woman. Yeah, maybe she's a lesbian or just has mother issues because her mother was ****ing killed when she was a child. She lost her family, which turned her hard as nails. She commits genocide and kills a queen in the sequel ffs! So maybe Samus is very distant from her mother and childhood as she is not coming to grips with her role as a mother which is very evident in all these games (I think Mother M tried this but gave the script to SakaLucas).

Super Metroid used this even further to points other people have explained (going full circle and ending with you going to the left to discover how to use your new powerups, or how about going lower and lower into Ridley's lair? El birdo) Again, going to the left, your working out your next move, creating the narrative yourself, naturally! Phantoon and Ridley also help you look to in all directions.

If you're a Prime fan, you can probably see how the Prime games used this even further!

TL;DR Mother brain is the best fight ever because she doesn't move at all!

Official Bracket Thread smile **** YEAH!
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 03:15 AM
xyz9 is currently offline Click here to Send xyz9 a Private Message Find more posts by xyz9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I do agree that the games made you think more than just going to the right. Super Metroid was the most enjoyable game I have ever played the first time through. Even the second time through.

The story is also part of why the Metroid series is enjoyable. I also liked the Lore-like approach to the Prime games.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 02:37 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote