KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Spike Video Game Awards (2011)

Spike Video Game Awards (2011)
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States, Earth

Spike Video Game Awards (2011)

It's a joke of an awards show that rewards popular games with high sales rather than for merit.

No gow3 nominated for goy or witcher 2, battlefield 3 was acknowledged for a second when it was mentioned as a nominee. and drake won best graphics.


Anyway here are the top catagories and their winners just for your edification..

Game of the year Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim. (i think the game blows..) but it beat out Batman: Arkham City, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Portal 2 and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Best PC game: Portal 2, which isn't a bad game. it won it over BF3 and the witcher 2.

Best shooter: Obviously codmw3, over bf3, gow3.

Bst RPG: Skyrim, over Dark Souls and Deus Ex? wow.

Best Figter: Mortal Kombat over MVC3. They were both good.

Best graphics: Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception! Over Batman: Arkham City, L.A. Noire and RAGE. That's great. (not)


w/e. i only watch the awards for the reveals anyway.

game on.


__________________
"The darkside, Sidious, is an illness no true Sith wishes to be cured of, my young apprentice .."

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 08:15 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

I'm glad I don't live in your crazy upside down world where Skyrim sucks and Batman, LA Noire (lmao) or Rage have better graphics than Uncharted 3. cool


__________________


Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 08:30 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Gender: Male
Location: Canada eh?

Oh dear god please tell me that most of the OP was a troll....

GoW3 nominated for GotY? No. Not with every other game that had come out. Great game, I love it, but much better comes have come out.


__________________

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 08:44 PM
General G is currently offline Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

A small grip but GoW is God of War, GEARS is the short hand for Gears of War. cool


__________________


Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 08:48 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Gender: Male
Location: Morgan's Maxim

Sounds about right for the most part. Gears of War 3 isn't game of the year material, so I don't mind it not being nominated.


Skyrim and Arkham City both deserved GotY, so as long as one of them won, I'm cool with that.

I think BF3 should have beaten Portal 2, but I haven't actually played P2 so I can't judge.

The biggest stickler for me is MW3 over BF3. Hell no. BF3 is a better game than MW3 in every way imaginable beyond just personal preference.


__________________

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 08:49 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States, Earth

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I'm glad I don't live in your crazy upside down world where Skyrim sucks and Batman, LA Noire (lmao) or Rage have better graphics than Uncharted 3. cool


?

what, am i supose to like it? well i don't. the hell? the game's a glitch pool, battles are hardly impressive, the story's meh and the graphics suck. my opinion.

and i'm more of a a pc player and if you wanna compare batman a.c. or la norie with it's new facial tech with the way it looks on pc compared to the way it looks like on cosole, in this case, a console exclusive, then you'd think the same way as well. you must've never heard of physx.


__________________
"The darkside, Sidious, is an illness no true Sith wishes to be cured of, my young apprentice .."

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 10:16 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States, Earth

quote: (post)
Originally posted by General G
Oh dear god please tell me that most of the OP was a troll....

GoW3 nominated for GotY? No. Not with every other game that had come out. Great game, I love it, but much better comes have come out.


why not? at least a nomination. it was the best gears.


__________________
"The darkside, Sidious, is an illness no true Sith wishes to be cured of, my young apprentice .."

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 10:17 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States, Earth

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

The biggest stickler for me is MW3 over BF3. Hell no. BF3 is a better game than MW3 in every way imaginable beyond just personal preference.


i'm there with you big time on that one. it won because it was the most popular of the 2. gay.


__________________
"The darkside, Sidious, is an illness no true Sith wishes to be cured of, my young apprentice .."

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 10:19 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Gender: Male
Location: Morgan's Maxim

lol. Told ya.


__________________

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 10:20 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

Fist, no one takes award shows seriously to begin with. Everyone could find gripes if we actually thought it represented a fully objective scoring system.

Anyway, popularity isn't the only things those games had going for them. And GoW3 also sold a lot more than some of those that were nominated or won, so your popular-only theory is a bit off anyway. Every reviewer I've seen, for example, acknowledges Skrim's bugs. I personally think it shouldn't have won because of them, but to say that it's not in the conversation is ridiculous.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Sounds about right for the most part. Gears of War 3 isn't game of the year material, so I don't mind it not being nominated.


Skyrim and Arkham City both deserved GotY, so as long as one of them won, I'm cool with that.

I think BF3 should have beaten Portal 2, but I haven't actually played P2 so I can't judge.

The biggest stickler for me is MW3 over BF3. Hell no. BF3 is a better game than MW3 in every way imaginable beyond just personal preference.


This.


__________________

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 12:14 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Gender: Male
Location: Under Satsuki's heel

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Sounds about right for the most part. Gears of War 3 isn't game of the year material, so I don't mind it not being nominated.


Skyrim and Arkham City both deserved GotY, so as long as one of them won, I'm cool with that.

I think BF3 should have beaten Portal 2, but I haven't actually played P2 so I can't judge.

The biggest stickler for me is MW3 over BF3. Hell no. BF3 is a better game than MW3 in every way imaginable beyond just personal preference.


Why isn't Gears GotY material?


__________________


Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 12:33 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Gender: Male
Location: Morgan's Maxim

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Why isn't Gears GotY material?
Content wise it's just not very impressive. It's got like, a 5 hour campaign that has mediocre writing in it, graphics that are only somewhat better than its predecessor, and a multiplayer suite that is essentially just a rehash of Gears 2, with a couple new gametypes and marginally tweaked guns. It's kind of like what Halo 3 was to Halo 2.

Even MW3, for how much of a MW2.5 it is, has at the least a completely new overhauled perk/class system and twice as many guns to balance, but even then it's not GotY material either.

I still believe that a sequel being just a rehash of its predecessor is not a bad thing, but on the other hand it's not something worth praising either. While Gears 3 is one of my favorite games of the year to play, whereas I have never been a fan of any of Bestheda's rpg's, the sheer amount of content and manhours put into Skyrim and Arkham City make them worth the GotY title. Gears 3's content is... lacking.

Also, it really bugs me that Epic made content that was already on the disk into DLC, for no reason. Even though they ended up giving most of it away for free, that's still deplorable.


__________________

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 02:41 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Gender: Male
Location: Under Satsuki's heel


__________________


Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 02:58 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Content wise it's just not very impressive. It's got like, a 5 hour campaign that has mediocre writing in it, graphics that are only somewhat better than its predecessor, and a multiplayer suite that is essentially just a rehash of Gears 2, with a couple new gametypes and marginally tweaked guns. It's kind of like what Halo 3 was to Halo 2.

Even MW3, for how much of a MW2.5 it is, has at the least a completely new overhauled perk/class system and twice as many guns to balance, but even then it's not GotY material either.

I still believe that a sequel being just a rehash of its predecessor is not a bad thing, but on the other hand it's not something worth praising either. While Gears 3 is one of my favorite games of the year to play, whereas I have never been a fan of any of Bestheda's rpg's, the sheer amount of content and manhours put into Skyrim and Arkham City make them worth the GotY title. Gears 3's content is... lacking.

Also, it really bugs me that Epic made content that was already on the disk into DLC, for no reason. Even though they ended up giving most of it away for free, that's still deplorable.


I found the graphics of GEARS are really uneven. Adam Fenix for instance looks like he walked out of a late last gen PS2 or X-Box game. Still, GEARS 3 is the best Duke Nukem game this generation. cool


__________________


Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:01 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Gender: Female
Location: verdant brink

Moderator

Honestly, Uncharted's graphics don't impress me all that much. Yes, the environments are amazing, but their character models are terrible. The graphics in those games are half excellent, half crap. Sorry, but that's not good enough to be winning awards with, to me.

I do not think Skyrim should have gotten game of the year, not at all. Not surprised that it did, but I think there were way better games out this year (ones that weren't complete rehashes of every single RPG to come out previously). Batman probably deserved it more, I think.

And yeah, Rage should have won in the graphics department. Not only were the graphics amazing, but they had a very nice visual style, as well.

These awards shows are always crap, but unfortunately a lot of people take them seriously. Combine it with how a lot of gamers are scared to try new things (I've brought this up before), and we just wind up with this recursive loop going on.

And really, why is anyone surprised that Witcher didn't win anything? It wasn't a big seller and was PC-only.

Also not surprised at MW3 winning, though BF3 definitely deserved it more.


__________________

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:09 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
?

what, am i supose to like it? well i don't. the hell? the game's a glitch pool, battles are hardly impressive, the story's meh and the graphics suck. my opinion.

and i'm more of a a pc player and if you wanna compare batman a.c. or la norie with it's new facial tech with the way it looks on pc compared to the way it looks like on cosole, in this case, a console exclusive, then you'd think the same way as well. you must've never heard of physx.


quote: (post)
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
?

what, am i supose to like it? well i don't. the hell? the game's a glitch pool, battles are hardly impressive, the story's meh and the graphics suck. my opinion.

and i'm more of a a pc player and if you wanna compare batman a.c. or la norie with it's new facial tech with the way it looks on pc compared to the way it looks like on cosole, in this case, a console exclusive, then you'd think the same way as well. you must've never heard of physx.


I personally would never have given Skyrim GOTY for some of the reason you mentioned. It's buggy and the graphics suck, but that said I think the story is decent and I think the game play is fun and addictive.

Did pieces of paper blowing around really enhance your play through of Arkham City? I didn't play AC on the pc but I've seen the side by side video comparisons and it isn't enough of an improvement over the console version to say it looks better than Uncharted 3. Also I much prefer the stylized realism of the Uncharted 3 facial animations and lip synching to LA Noir's creepy wooden mo-cap work. LA Noir might deserve some sort of award for the tech they used for mo capture, but a graphics award? Aside from the facial animations it has the same sub par GTA / Assassins Creed level graphics. I have a decently powerful rig, I played The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex on my PC at max settings and they of course looked beautiful... but nothing beats Uncharted on a 70 inch tv... except for Uncharted on 80 inch tv but I don't have that. cool

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
Honestly, Uncharted's graphics don't impress me all that much. Yes, the environments are amazing, but their character models are terrible. The graphics in those games are half excellent, half crap. Sorry, but that's not good enough to be winning awards with, to me.


...

The character models and animations are the best part of the game. confused


__________________


Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Dec 12th, 2011 at 03:24 AM

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:21 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Gender: Female
Location: verdant brink

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin


The character models and animations are the best part of the game. confused


Tell them to learn to actually make hair look like hair.


__________________

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:30 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Gender: Male
Location: In Luna's mane, chasing STAAARS!

Portal 2 won Best Multiplayer

It's awesome and all but for it to be able to beat Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, and Gears of War 3 in that department is bullcrap. I respect it winning Best PC Game, Best Performance by a Human Male (Stephen Merchent as Wheatley), and Best Performance by a Human Female (Ellen Mclane as GLaDOS) but Best Multiplayer? Wrong.


__________________


Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Dec 12th, 2011 at 03:37 AM

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:31 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Gender: Male
Location: The End

quote: (post)


I think thats pretty damn good actually. O_o

(But then I don't exactly play many modern games.)


__________________

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:35 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Gender: Female
Location: verdant brink

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
I think thats pretty damn good actually. O_o

(But then I don't exactly play many modern games.)


The guys are okay (though the grey-haired guy's hair looks like it's carved, not terribly natural), but I've never seen a female character who has hair that actually looks like hair, as opposed to just random clumps and ribbons with terrible clipping, in those games.


__________________

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:36 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 09:07 PM.
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Spike Video Game Awards (2011)

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.