KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Adventure games are dead...

Adventure games are dead...
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Adventure games are dead...

Is that a bad thing?

I've been playing Under a Killing Moon out of nostalgia, because I used to love playing all kinds of adventure games, including the perser based version of Space Quest and even pure text games like Zork or Hitchhikers Guide.. But thinking about it, the "Gameplay" of an adventure game is usually tons of grinding.. Going through every pixel/area with a fine tooth comb, making sure you take everything that's not nailed down (And trying not to forget to save in case you do forget something and it breaks the game), and in the case of parser games you'll sometimes spend weeks simply fighting with the parser over phrasing a simple action.

All the fun of writing code, basically. evil face

I'm still enjoying my replay of UAKM, but I don't think I could ever go back to enjoying them like I used to... Times have changed, and the adventure game model simply isn't fun anymore. At least, not for me...

Last edited by cdtm on Mar 10th, 2012 at 09:46 AM

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 09:43 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

They're far from dead.....

ever heard of a game developer called Telltale?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 11:10 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

In my opinion both games like Uncharted and Metroid are Adventure games, and they're still very much alive (Metroid not so much right now, but I don't think it's gone just yet).

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 11:12 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I think the type of adventure game cdtm is thinking of is alot of the old games from Lucasarts.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 11:37 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Yoss Noda
Restricted

Account Restricted

While they've somewhat declined in the West they're still far from dead and the Japanese adventure game industry is as alive as ever.

Look no further than To the Moon for a very awesome and recent adventure game:

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 02:34 PM
Yoss Noda is currently offline Click here to Send Yoss Noda a Private Message Find more posts by Yoss Noda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

uncharted, Tomb Raider, Darksiders, Zelda, I am alive, back to the future, sam and max, Mass effect, assassins creed, red dead redemption..., Yeah i totally agree. Adventure games are dead. I think someone just doesn't have the gaming prowess to play modern adventure games and want more lame ass point and click games. Either way, they still make those too.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 04:00 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well this needs clear definition. Games like Zelda and Assassin's Creed are not in the same genre as Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle, and if you are calling both sorts adventure games you have a problem.

This thread is about the graphical adventures that were the evolution from text-based interactive fiction (which in turn is very much alive and thriving on the amateur circuit, with some of the best developer tools around). Let's restrict talk to that genre, thanks.

It IS a shame they have declined, and Telltale is 50/50 on quality. Strong Bad was awesome, though.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 05:18 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
uncharted, Tomb Raider, Darksiders, Zelda, I am alive, back to the future, sam and max, Mass effect, assassins creed, red dead redemption..., Yeah i totally agree. Adventure games are dead. I think someone just doesn't have the gaming prowess to play modern adventure games and want more lame ass point and click games. Either way, they still make those too.

Almost every one of those games you listed are action-adventure, which is very different from adventure.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 05:40 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

It's only different in the sense that you have more control. Point and click games are stagnate adventures which to me isn't very exciting at all and i really don't see how they can be considered adventure games at all. Action and adventure is one and the same.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 01:22 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Your opinion doesn't change that the genre is considered "Adventure games" though.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 01:53 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indeed- sorry, jinxed., but what you 'consider' is neither here nor there. It is simply incorrect to consider those games in the same genre by any useful definition of that word; they have fundamentally different styles, objectives and target demographics. This thread is not about Zelda-like games. Ironic that you say that action and adventure are one and the same, when half the point of the graphic adventure genre was to avoid action and the skills associated with it. Lucasarts even released its Indiana Jones games (Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis) in separate 'Action' and 'Adventure' versions, the adventure version being purely cerebral. No-one remembers the action versions, incidentally, as they were both crap.

Does anyone have a favourite from the graphic adventure genre?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 11th, 2012 at 08:20 AM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 07:52 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I really enjoyed Longest Journey.

Want to try the Blackwell chronicles those games look good

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 07:59 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Does anyone have a favourite form the graphic adventure genre?

Sam & Max and Monkey Island games even the episodes from Telltale.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 08:14 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, I never played Longest Journey, despite the good press.

Which Monkey Island was your favourite? I remember IV having a strong start and falling apart later; such a shame.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 08:21 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I bought Longest journey and its sequel during a steam sale. Although the sequel is more action adventury (and not in a good way) Both have excellent stories.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 08:33 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Which Monkey Island was your favourite? I remember IV having a strong start and falling apart later; such a shame.

It would have to be The Secret of Monkey Island

i noticed on steam there's quite a few indie adventure games on there.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 08:42 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Graphic adventures have been pretty big on the indie circuit.

I thought Fate of Atlantis was stunning, though Day of the Tentacle was its main rival.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 08:50 AM
Peach
mordrem

I honestly can't remember ever playing one that I really enjoyed.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 01:50 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

More recently it'd have to be Secret of Monkey Island. As a teeny kid I distinctly remember playing some sort of laid-back adventure game with two dinosaurs as the main characters. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, though.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 03:34 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Exile

Hope not, I want a sequel to DreamFall.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2012 02:24 PM
Dark Exile is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Exile a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Exile Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote