KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games worth playing just for storyline?

Do you...
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
There are no game storylines that are as good as books/movies/tv shows 0 0%
I like most videogame storylines as much as movies/books/tv 4 40.00%
I very rarely like videogame storylines as much as movies/books/tv 4 40.00%
I actually prefer videogame storylines to movies/boooks/tv shows 2 20.00%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Games worth playing just for storyline?
Started by: Darth Ray Park

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Question Games worth playing just for storyline?

This thread is for games that you think would be worth playing through even if you didnt even slightly care about the gameplay, but purely for the story (note, the gameplay can be good as well!).

Games whos storylines you think are on the level of books, tv shows and movies.

For me out of the ones I have played they would be:

MGS Series (1,2,3,4,Peace Walker,Portable Ops).
KOTOR Series (1 and 2, havent started playing TOR).
Dragon's Age.
Mass Effect.
Legacy of Kain Series (all of them).
Silent Hill 1-3 (never played 4).
Shenmue Series.
Heavy Rain.
Max Payne.

UN...LIMITEEEEEEEED...VOTES!! THAT IS HER TRUE POWER!!

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 02:21 AM
Darth Ray Park is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Ray Park a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ray Park Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: Games worth playing just for storyline?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Ray Park

Max Payne.

Should check out Max Payne 3 its totally worth it.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 03:29 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeh still need to play second one first though.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 03:34 AM
Darth Ray Park is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Ray Park a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ray Park Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

In recent memory, Mass Effect comes to mind. But I'm actually somewhat sure I'd just see it as another passable but not particularly inspired sci-fi story if it were just about the story. The gameplay moments it's able to create as a result of the story are what put it over the top imo. I actually find Assassin's Creed's main story to be intriguing, but it ironically hasn't been story-heavy (at least with the meta-story outside of the Animus).

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 05:09 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

I dont know I watched Star Trek and Star Gate and I thought mass Effect was better than both of them, for me anywya.But not on level of something liek Prometheus for sure (which wasAWESOME)

I only played the first assassins' creed so far but i didnt think the story was all that great. it was ok and had interesting setting that i plan on researching, but the story didnt really do much for me.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 05:18 AM
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Prometheus was pretentous crap. as for game being played for their story I will say prince of persia(all of them), EU3, uncharted, and the castlevania series(Lords of shadow mostly)

Last edited by Phanteros on Jun 13th, 2012 at 05:43 AM

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 05:38 AM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I dont know I watched Star Trek and Star Gate and I thought mass Effect was better than both of them, for me anywya.But not on level of something liek Prometheus for sure (which wasAWESOME)

I only played the first assassins' creed so far but i didnt think the story was all that great. it was ok and had interesting setting that i plan on researching, but the story didnt really do much for me.

You thought it was better than Star Trek and Stargate but not Prometheus? blink

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 05:42 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Yeh still need to play sec ond one first though.

If your a PC gamer hop on Steam and get it

Originally posted by Phanteros
Prometheus was pretentous crap.

Hater's gonna hate......

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 07:42 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I love it when you talk black, Kazenji.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 08:14 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Dragon's Lair.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 08:23 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I love it when you talk black, Kazenji.

Quit your jibber jabber.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 08:37 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Oh god yes.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 08:39 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I saw Prometheus somewhat drunk, and I was happy that at least that provided some entertainment. The movie certainly didn't.

People can enjoy whatever they want, I'm not going take offense at someone ranking it above Star Trek. I was just bored out of my mind.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 01:45 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Digi
In recent memory, Mass Effect comes to mind. But I'm actually somewhat sure I'd just see it as another passable but not particularly inspired sci-fi story if it were just about the story. The gameplay moments it's able to create as a result of the story are what put it over the top imo. I actually find Assassin's Creed's main story to be intriguing, but it ironically hasn't been story-heavy (at least with the meta-story outside of the Animus).

The metastory is just stupid. I ignore it entirely for the most part.

The historical side of the game, though, is awesome.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 01:47 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

For this thread

Monkey Island.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 01:51 PM
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Phanteros
uncharted

Hmm definitely disagree with this one I knw ot is your opionoion but I think you may be slightly biased because the game overall is really good, because the storyline alone is NOT even close to as good to carry the game or as good as other media. I played all three games and really like them btw but really... they are very shallow, predictable and chilche.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 01:54 PM
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
I saw Prometheus somewhat drunk, and I was happy that at least that provided some entertainment. The movie certainly didn't.

People can enjoy whatever they want, I'm not going take offense at someone ranking it above Star Trek. I was just bored out of my mind.

The first aprt of movie, which wasd the best aprt, was all about the atmosphere, suspense, mystery and scenery, so if you were drunk you may not have been able to appreciate it. When the film becomes more action focused its not as good, though sI sitll relaly liked that psr as well.

I think I will re-watch Alien and watch rest of series now.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 01:56 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Monopoly.

Real answer: The Deus Ex games.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 02:08 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Nephthys

Real answer: The Deus Ex games.

There are many real answers....

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 02:11 PM
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Rememebr guys, this isn't just stories you "liked" these are games that you would still play, or i giess, watch, were the gameply completely removed and you were just watching the cutscenes. In other words, soemthing you woudl as soon watch maybe, a youtube playthrough of, as you would another book, tv, or movie.

So something like Uncharted is blatant... bias based on how good the overall game is. It like saying Grand Theft Auto or Halo, awesome games, but not exactly greta stories.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 02:15 PM