KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Children of Light (Turned-based RPG for XBox One)

Children of Light (Turned-based RPG for XBox One)
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

Children of Light (Turned-based RPG for XBox One)

Children of Light score: 9 out of 10

Seriously, if you like old-school RPGs, you will love this game. It mixes in some minor platforming, turned-based RPG battle system, classic RPG leveling system as you gain experience, and a decent enough story.

I have not gotten very far into the game but I am loving it, so far.

Imagine a cross between the movie Princess Mononoke and the games Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda (puzzles have a LoZ feel to them), and Paper-Mario.

The art can be quite amazing sometimes. The battles are decently challenging. It also adds some newer RPG elements such as crafting and socketing weapons to increase their powers.

Seriously, if you loved Chrono Trigger (Or Super Mario RPG), this is a must-own game. The worst case scenario is you will explore a semi-unique game with decent art and music and get entertained for a few days. If you're a turn-based RPG fan, this is definitely a game you should pick up. It costs only $15. You can also cheat and spend $3 and buy gems for your weapons (you don't need to but the option is there for people who want to get through the game more easily).

More about the leveling system:

As you gain levels, you have a pre-planned boost to your character attributes. Such as level 3 gives you a +2 to strength. You also can spend skill points on abilities in a skill tree (more like a skill maze...because there are so many). So far, I love leveling. And I want to grind to level. An RPG that makes me want to grind to level is a well-executed RPG. Also!!!! And this is the more important thing a leveling RPG must do!!! When you level, the monsters do not level with you! So you can go back to previous areas and one-shot some of the bad guys (if you missed them...so far, I have not missed any and I don't think they respawn, sadly). Many RPGs use a system that causes the enemies to level with your character. No...stop that. Part of playing a leveling RPG is the awesomeness of leveling up and then rolling over the old enemies that gave you trouble.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jun 6th, 2014 at 03:50 PM

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 03:47 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Already made the thread bro, but yeah the game is swell.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 06:01 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Already made the thread bro, but yeah the game is swell.
I did a KMC search by post title. No idea why it did not show up....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...amp;showposts=0

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 06:18 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

It happens a lot. Happens to me too lol. But anyways did you finish the game? If you liked it I recommend playing transistor. Its a different kind of RPG, but good none the less. Its kind of like what Parasite Eve should have been way way back when it came out in the late 90s

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 06:23 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

Originally posted by dadudemon
I did a KMC search by post title. No idea why it did not show up....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...amp;showposts=0

The name of the game Zack is talking about is Child of Light.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...29+forumid%3A66

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 06:57 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Its the same game unless I'm missing something.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 06:58 PM
Demonic Phoenix

Yeah, you are.

ddm searched for 'Children of Light'. stick out tongue

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 07:34 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Looks amazing, probably the next game I play through.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 07:38 PM
Astor Ebligis is currently offline Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

thumb up

The fighting is very addictive. I would have started a 2nd playthrough right after I first beat it, but I have a goal to finish all the games I have in this summer.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 08:14 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
The name of the game Zack is talking about is Child of Light.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...29+forumid%3A66

Well, shit. A mod should merge the threads. I clearly made a titling mistake. His is the correct title.

Edit - Thanks for finding that. You'd make a good mod. sad

Originally posted by Zack Fair
thumb up

The fighting is very addictive. I would have started a 2nd playthrough right after I first beat it, but I have a goal to finish all the games I have in this summer.

Yes, very addictive.

Question: do enemies respawn in old areas? I would LOVE to grind.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 08:33 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Not sure.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2014 09:44 PM
dadudemon

I am almost towards the end of this game. I still love it. It is still one of the best games I have played in ages.

They need to make a sequel but with a big budget. Pretty much NOTHING should be changed about the game mechanics. Just add a much much bigger story (5-20 times as large with very involved and complicated side quests) and voice acting for all the main characters.

I like the fact that when you kill enemies, ALL party members get the XP so all party members can level even if they didn't participate in the fight. This eliminates a micromanaging aspect from the game. You don't have to constantly swap out party members to earn them XP to keep them leveled.

This game is missing a character ability: "spy enemy stats." It would be great to have that ability for tougher battles and bosses so you can more strategically plan.

I like the skill leveling tree setup. I like the skills it provides, too. It is as if the game designers knew all the shit I hated about old RPG games and removed that and then added in all the stuff I love about RPGs making it one of the best Role-Based RPG experiences ever.

Some of the music is quite beautiful, as well.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2014 12:59 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

thumb up

Only downside is how short the game is. I would have played this game a solid 40 hours.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2014 04:08 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Just started playing the game for the ps4. Decent. Better than Zelda that is for sure.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2014 11:22 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by quanchi112
Better than Zelda that is for sure.

Frigging Pokemon is better than Zelda. Hone your trolling abilities Quan

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 05:13 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Originally posted by Bentley

Pokemon is better than everything though.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 04:29 PM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by quanchi112
Just started playing the game for the ps4. Decent. Better than Zelda that is for sure.

Yes. I don't really like the Zelda games. The puzzles get old. I would like a Zelda game that has you level up and increase your character stats as you fight stuff. It would be nice if the game focused on equipment AND character stats, not just solving puzzles and the equipment.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 04:40 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Martian_mind
Pokemon is better than everything though.

Kirby is also pretty cool, but your criticism is spot on.

Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes. I don't really like the Zelda games. The puzzles get old. I would like a Zelda game that has you level up and increase your character stats as you fight stuff. It would be nice if the game focused on equipment AND character stats, not just solving puzzles and the equipment.

If you want that, play a random RPG. The market is swamped with those games anyways.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 08:39 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Bentley
Shut your skank trap.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:44 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Game is okay.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 12:58 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote