KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How strong are the Jedi masters of TOTJ era?

How strong are the Jedi masters of TOTJ era?
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Merchant

How strong are the Jedi masters of TOTJ era?

Guys like Thon, Odan-Urr, Arca Jeth. They're implied to wielding impressive power, specifically Thon that sexy beast. Basically who do you guys compare them to from say TOR or PT era?

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 04:58 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I'd say they're quite impressive. Thon got compared to Yoda by one Jedi naming some of the best in history (though I don't think he's as strong as Yoda), Vodo and Arca are powerful too. Odan-Urr probably a bit lower- he was more known for his wisdom than his power, and he was old.

I'd say Thon may be stronger than Windu, Vodo pretty close to Windu (maybe a hair behind), and Arca a bit behind that, with Odan likely another step behind, but they'd all fit in well with the top of the council.

Last edited by Q99 on Feb 18th, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 11:03 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Arca taming and riding that enormous Drexl was particularly badass.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 03:53 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Re: How strong are the Jedi masters of TOTJ era?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Merchant
Guys like Thon, Odan-Urr, Arca Jeth. They're implied to wielding impressive power, specifically Thon that sexy beast. Basically who do you guys compare them to from say TOR or PT era?

Thon doesn't really need much explanation

His feats and powers speak for themselves :maybe

Odan-Urr and Vodo-Siosk Baas?

There reputations during the Old Republic Era are akin to Yoda and Mace Windu's during the Rise of the Empire

Odan-Urr was also more or less the Grand Master (called Head of the Jedi Assembly) before the title was given a name too (it was retconned into the series many years after Tales), which tends to be carried by the greatest of all masters

Sure, Urr was well past his prime, being "Old" when Exar Kun had slain him, but so was Yoda when he fought Sidious (though Yoda's showing vs Sidious lasted longer), and Kun himself was far more powerful than an incarnation of Ulic Qel-Droma that was already a contender for the greatest Jedi of his time (this was pre fall Ulic, just before heading to the Krath)

Arca's harder to peg. His showings on Onderon confuse me. He temporarily drove Nadd's power away, only for Ommin to fairly casually wreck him... then he drives Nadd away again?

Or something.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 05:36 PM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

He was able to lift that lid to the Sarcophagus of Nadd, and dispel the powerful darkside energies from Onderon (temporarily). The guy was very powerful if he could do that too a being that could transform multiple places into darkside nexuses.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 05:56 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Indeed

Just the loop becomes annoying to rationalize when you remember Nadd > Ommin

And Ommin was dominating Arca pretty easily

Granted, he'd been on Onderon a while by then

But he still sends Nadd's ass back to the Chaos after being there even longer

Though Ommin was dead

It's a back and forth I haven't quite figured out the best picture for yet :hmm

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 06:01 PM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Re: How strong are the Jedi masters of TOTJ era?

Originally posted by The Merchant

Each era have advantages... And each spêcies too.
If Miraluka have a better affiliation with the use of theforce sens because they don't have eyes, thon have better use of TK and telepathy...
PT era don't have a great military power they clearly admit it... (Themself)

P.S Thon go on ossus... Every body who studdy malachor V holocron or read ossus secret became serious bad ass...

Last edited by Revanchiste on Feb 18th, 2015 at 07:31 PM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 07:28 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I will note how of the four big names here, two pretty much eschewed physical combat entirely. Says a lot about the era.

With Ommin, was he using Nadd's assistance? Because Ommin + Nadd may > the spirit of Nadd on it's own.

Arca may have been caught off guard a bit too. That's a thing that happens to him (see also his death to the Krath droids).

Old Post Feb 18th, 2015 08:46 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Amanoa and Ommin drew all of their power from Nadd's corpse, which was the nexus where he his spirit lived after his body died. When Nadd took his power away from them, they both basically died on the spot, lol. In fact, Nadd actually obliterated Ommin's spirit altogether. Goes to show just how powerful Nadd is - after dying, his tomb became a focus of power great enough to sustain the life span of hundreds of beings and empower them to become fairly powerful sorcerers, and at any time he could withdraw the portion of power he gave them leaving them essentially powerless.

Arca didn't ever overpower Nadd. As you'll see, Amanoa only died because Nadd withdrew his power from her. It's the same with Ommin, whose soul he destroys when he realizes that Ulic has him screwed. Arca just kind of showed up and claimed the credit. Ommin curbing him and others with just a portion of Nadd's power is kind of epic on Nadd's part.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 12:56 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by Q99
I will note how of the four big names here, two pretty much eschewed physical combat entirely. Says a lot about the era.

You're talking about Arca Jeth and Odan-Urr I take it?

Jeth actually has accolades as being a master duelist in TotJ Companion and Power of the Jedi Sourcebook IIRC, so he's not all Force Powers even if that's what he chooses to use

Makes sense given the kind of duelist Ulic is. You'd figure he'd need to know what he's doing to train him that well at least :hmm

quote:
With Ommin, was he using Nadd's assistance? Because Ommin + Nadd may > the spirit of Nadd on it's own.

I'd have to reread the parts and other expository source material to check

Ommin's wife was at least empowered by Nadd at the heart of the Nexus on Onderon in his Tomb when Jeth did his thing anyway.

IIRC, Ommin also summoned Nadd back from the Chaos to use his power once more too, though I'd need to check up on that possession empowering Ommin being a thing though :hmm

quote:
Arca may have been caught off guard a bit too. That's a thing that happens to him (see also his death to the Krath droids).

Maybe?

I mean, Nadd was already in the room, I'd like to think he was at least wary of the guy in front of him, cripple or not, given he kind of called the dark spirit in the first place.

Though I might be forgetting some narration that suggests Jeth was caught off guard.

Originally posted by ILS
Amanoa and Ommin drew all of their power from Nadd's corpse, which was the nexus where he his spirit lived after his body died. When Nadd took his power away from them, they both basically died on the spot, lol. In fact, Nadd actually obliterated Ommin's spirit altogether. Goes to show just how powerful Nadd is - after dying, his tomb became a focus of power great enough to sustain the life span of hundreds of beings and empower them to become fairly powerful sorcerers, and at any time he could withdraw the portion of power he gave them leaving them essentially powerless.

Arca didn't ever overpower Nadd. As you'll see, Amanoa only died because Nadd withdrew his power from her. It's the same with Ommin, whose soul he destroys when he realizes that Ulic has him screwed. Arca just kind of showed up and claimed the credit. Ommin curbing him and others with just a portion of Nadd's power is kind of epic on Nadd's part.

That's actually wrong on two counts

The first being Jeth's Battle Meditation legitimately overpowered Amanoa's Nadd enhanced Battle Meditation

Second being, even if Nadd withdrew his power... which I don't recall happening (hell, the TotJ Companion fails to support you), he has no reason to do so without Jeth at least being a major hinderance to Nadd and his goals.

Not like this says Jeth > Nadd, but he kind of needs to compare for how this went down to make some sense.

And if Q99's suggestion about Ommin empowered Nadd holds true, or at least isn't contradicted by a second read through, the rest of the events make some sense and even serve to further validate the future accolade Ulic holds of being arguably the most powerful Jedi of his time given how he no sold Ommin's Bolts of Hatred

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 01:48 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well yeah, he overpowered her BM. I just meant he wasn't the cause of her death in the tomb.
quote:
There they discovered the secret source of her power in the deepest tombs of the palace: Freedon Nadd's sarcophagus, filled with the dark power of the ancient Sith warrior. Confronted by the light side strength of Jedi Master Arca Jeth, Freedon Nadd withdrew his strength from Amanoa, and she collapsed, lifeless, to the floor.
- Dark Side Sourcebook

The comic itself:
http://imgur.com/a/ZNTRn
quote:
In Arca's presence, the dark forces concentrated in the ancient sarcophagus are no longer of help to the evil old woman.

quote:
I did not kill her. The dark power that supported her has fled. -Arca

Now, admittedly I am confused about Arca and Amanoa talking about his "light" apparently having something to do with it.. but I think that may just be because Amanoa initially thought Arca overpowered her (when really Nadd just withdrew the power he was lendning her), and, because Arca didn't fully realize how powerful Nadd was and that he still had power to be distributed. At this time they didn't know that Ommin is even more powerful than Amanoa, so I would find it pretty perplexing that Arca could overpower Amanoa and by proxy Nadd's sarcophagus, but then proceed to get curbed by Ommin, who, again, died as soon as Nadd decided it was necessary for him to.
quote:
But while Ommin secretly developed his dark side skills, his body withered and his bones decayed until he was barely able to move without the aid of a complex mechanical exoskeleton. Only his sheer willpower-aided by the dark spirit of his ancestor, Freedon Nadd enabled Ommin to persist where lesser beings would have failed.

quote:
Though Ommin overcame Master Arca with his dark side power, he himself was beaten when the Jedi Ulic Qel-Droma severed the connection to his support exoskeleton, leaving King Ommin barely able to speak or move, let alone draw upon the power of the dark side. Freedon Nadd claimed King Ommin's corrupted spirit and departed, only to return some time later to corrupt the Jedi Knight Exar Kun.

quote:
The specter of Freedon Nadd had been assisting King Ommin, but decided that Satal and Aleema held the key to resurrecting the golden age of the Sith. The dark side avatar appeared before the pair and offered to guide them in their rise to power.

-Dark Side Sourcebook

Edit: Actually, I think the reason Nadd appeared to flee from Arca during Amanoa's death could have been because Amanoa wasn't a strong enough vessel to combat the Jedi. Because, I don't believe as a spirit, Nadd can do much to Arca by himself (correct me if I'm wrong), therefore he needs an acolyte to channel his power into. That would explain why he bailed there, leaving Arca under the pretence that it was his presence that drove him away, when really Nadd was grooming a far more powerful acolyte in Ommin to take out Arca. And he did.

Then Ulic came in.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Last edited by ILS on Feb 19th, 2015 at 02:17 AM

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 02:06 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

So we're just ironing out semantics here really given you even post that Nadd didn't want anything to do with someone as powerful as Jeth :hmm

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 02:11 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Like I said in my edit, I don't think Nadd withdrew from fighting Arca at the point of Amanoa's death because his power wasn't sufficient.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 02:12 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

I'll get back to you on that :hmm

Probably should reread every entry from a given source book on relevant characters over again first before I confirm or deny.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 02:15 AM
ares834

Originally posted by ILS
Edit: Actually, I think the reason Nadd appeared to flee from Arca during Amanoa's death could have been because Amanoa wasn't a strong enough vessel to combat the Jedi. Because, I don't believe as a spirit, Nadd can do much to Arca by himself (correct me if I'm wrong), therefore he needs an acolyte to channel his power into. That would explain why he bailed there, leaving Arca under the pretence that it was his presence that drove him away, when really Nadd was grooming a far more powerful acolyte in Ommin to take out Arca. And he did.

Then Ulic came in.

Nadd did ***** slap Vodo from across the galaxy.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 02:35 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by ILS

Edit: Actually, I think the reason Nadd appeared to flee from Arca during Amanoa's death could have been because Amanoa wasn't a strong enough vessel to combat the Jedi.

Upon reread, that's certainly plausible

quote:
Because, I don't believe as a spirit, Nadd can do much to Arca by himself (correct me if I'm wrong), therefore he needs an acolyte to channel his power into.

Yeah, Nadd himself more or less asserts he can't do anything by himself as a spirit. Has to suck having so much power in life, so much so that the nexus on the planet everyone draws upon is basically the power you once held, yet being unable to properly harness it as a spirit.

quote:
That would explain why he bailed there, leaving Arca under the pretence that it was his presence that drove him away, when really Nadd was grooming a far more powerful acolyte in Ommin to take out Arca. And he did.

Well, he actually did drive him away. Tales of the Jedi Companion and the Dark Side Sourcebook do corroborate that as we both posted.

It's just that your interpretation works to reason as for how.

Nadd wasn't grooming Ommin though, he was already groomed well before Arca ever stepped foot on the planet. Kind of why his bones have all gone to shit.

That's just semantics though :maybe

Still, pretty impressive if you think about it, even if he was at Ommin's mercy? Arca did pretty well at resisting the effects of his power for as long as he was held captive, even if he couldn't overpower it.

Oh, you know where the quote about Ommin's dark side energy being the strongest Arca ever felt comes from (indicates pretty clearly how well he took to Nadd's power I imagine as far as being a vessel goes :hmm)? It's on Ommin's wookiepedia page under powers and abilities, and I feel like I read it somewhere, but I can't exactly recall from where :hmm

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 02:54 AM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

We could probably go all day with semantics, haha.

Arca clearly has a lot of resistance and willpower, yeah. IIRC Arca actually has a respect thread somewhere on the web. I'll go look for it.

Wookieepedia sourced the audiobook for that feat, I believe, so I'd check there.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 03:00 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Think the respect thread was done by Silver of Comicvine, probably someone you know/knew

IIRC, the images are dead though :hmm

He could probably use a new one if someone could bother.

Granted Thon, Vodo-Siosk Baas, and Odan-Urr could use one period.

They've never had any as far as I could find.

Not that I will bother, I'm too lazy (my own on FFIII is languishing half finished as we speak now :lmao) and the narutoforums format kind of sucks for it anyway. Especially with the standard skin the dipshit domain owner has for the site.

So, the audio book. probably on youtube. If the quote is legit, I'd probably use it to suggest that while Nadd has a general edge, Arca really can't be too much weaker with how he drove him off from Amanoa

As I see it (and correct me if I'm wrong, I just put the puzzle pieces together, its up to others to tell me if the image doesn't make sense :maybe), Arca's already felt the power of the nexus Nadd left behind over the centuries, especially given how potent it'd have been at its epicenter in his tomb.

For Ommin to exceed that? His own modest power combined with whatever Nadd enhanced him with would have to be somewhat greater than Nadd's in the first place :hmm

Why? Amanoa may have been weaker than Ommin, but they were still not immensely disparate in power. They were rivals in training and all, and neither progressed further once Ommin's bones gave out on him.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2015 03:20 AM