KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Nexus: Insomnia Edition

Nexus: Insomnia Edition
Started by: ChaosTheory123

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Nexus: Insomnia Edition

So...

Given this thread is hardly a stellar example of actual compiled evidence?

Let's try this again :maybe

Because sleep isn't something I can come by

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Emperordmb
The most basic way a nexus seems to amp people is a passive amp. A force wielder may not be actively drawing from it, but they receive a boost in their abilities from being around so much energy. Basically a character's abilities may be amped to some extent, but it's not too far beyond what they are normally capable of. Ultimately even with the most extreme nexuses, a passive amp will only alter one's abilities by a factor of two at the very most.
Examples of this would be: Bane on Lehon, Bane on Ambria, Savage and Maul on Phleem, and Dooku on Vjun.

Seems

You all base your premise with Nexus amps being passive off of seems?

And here I was hoping you all had, you know, concrete evidence. :hmm

Let's see some actual definitive quotes now, that'd be an excellent place to start :maybe

Maybe they're in the Savage and Maul/Dooku examples

Hell if I know, that's why I ask

I can fairly safely say Bane on Lehon is more a matter of how you interpret certain things, with nothing actually pointing to him passively or actively drawing on the present Nexus.

Well, no, Kas'im's lack of actually noting a difference between the power Bane has on Lehon compared to what he possessed on Korriban (the much weaker nexus) would tend to suggest Bane wasn't drawing on jack shit, at least passively.

Or, at least, the difference in his power was too minute to actually detect.

You know, even despite being on the much more powerful dark side nexus.

Ambria? I don't remember those events too well. Do know that Thon kind of made drawing on dark side powers ****ing difficult by sealing the nexus in Lake Natth though.

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Quite frankly, even if the author doesn't say they are drawing on it, I don't see why the character wouldn't draw on it. If Dooku is going head to head with Yoda, there is no reason not to draw on the Nexus, it's a free stash of power. Same goes for Bane on Lehon.

Another gem kiddo, another gem :maybe

Your entire argument is from belief. When your conclusion is reliant upon the premise of your own beliefs?

That'd be a fallacy, not an actual argument kiddo

Now, is it possible they're drawing on it?

Sure, it's there to be drawn upon and all

Kind of on you to actually quote a passage that concretely says they do though :maybe

Old Post Feb 20th, 2015 10:15 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

There are a few, actually.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2015 02:36 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Posting them would be optimal then

Old Post Feb 20th, 2015 05:32 PM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Really would like an actual answer to my questions

The lack of support other than "they exist" without forking them over kind of leaves me wanting :hmm

http://i.imgur.com/ehojsBZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/jXkYGOG.png
http://i.imgur.com/lUaQJ1j.png
http://i.imgur.com/c57aEL7.png
http://i.imgur.com/7wVl1Zv.png
http://i.imgur.com/xBDzzPf.png
http://i.imgur.com/w8RFGNv.png
http://i.imgur.com/DGtiAfu.png
http://i.imgur.com/tr2kpzx.png

^Those would be every page from Bane's arrival on Lehon to Kas'im's death sans the Githany/Kaan interlude in the middle.

The red boxes represent confirmation of a nexus, the stated effects of the nexus, and every usage of force powers on or near the planet.

Bane tells us Lehon is strong in the dark side here before arriving

Alright, cool. Nexus confirmed.

Bane notes the power of Lehon is stronger than Korriban.

Awesome. Strong Nexus confirmed.

Kind of befuddling then when every mention of the force after that on the same page fails to mention Bane drawing on the Nexus even passively, but I'll leave quotes regarding confirming passive shit to you ****ers to dredge up :maybe

Bane confirms a dark side nexus this strong can make him light headed

Cool, doesn't actually explain WHY he's light headed other than the place being strong in the dark side, but **** if it doesn't reinforce there being a Nexus.

Still no actual mentions of Bane drawing on its power (read the whole page, the boxes, hell if I care, the text is there for you to bring shit up), the leap in logic going from being light headed in its presence to drawing power from it is somewhat steep without something actually concrete, but hey, I'm sure something has to exist :maybe

Once more, Kas'im mentions he can feel Bane's "unmistakeable presence" along side the power of the world

Once more, kind of interesting Kas'im claims it's unmistakeable and sort of fails to mention anything about Bane feeling stronger... despite Lehon being a far superior nexus of dark side energy than Korriban where he'd have last been able to gauge Bane

Kas'im uses some force powers, fails to mention anything about drawing on the nexus.

Bane tells us once more Lehon > Korriban

Hammer that one down Bane~

Still no mention of drawing on a nexus. There is mention of both Bane and Kas'im having previously held power in reserve that they're no longer doing though.

Bane gives himself over to the dark side completely

Do I have to actually explain why that's too vague and unhelpful to be taken as "he totally drawing on Lehon right now"?

Assuming of course someone was actually ever stupid enough to try using it as evidence in favor of amp anyway :hmm

Bane gathers energy in an effort to charge his most powerful attack

So... where's the actual evidence in the narration that says "he gathers this energy from the nexus"?

I have to ask, do you lot latch onto vague and unhelpful shit as being concrete? :hmm

Please, correct me if I missed something, explain to me why and how this scene shows him drawing on a nexus. Certainly fails to demonstrate it actively.

Have **** all clue about passive even being a thing without someone quoting relevant shit to me too :hmm

Last edited by ChaosTheory123 on Feb 21st, 2015 at 01:57 AM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 01:54 AM
The Merchant

In Yoda Dark Rendezvous some weak force User was able to get a huge boost in the Force just by landing on Vjun.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 02:18 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by The Merchant
In Yoda Dark Rendezvous some weak force User was able to get a huge boost in the Force just by landing on Vjun.

Post the quote/passage/page? :hmm

Mechanics seem inconsistent though, otherwise Kas'im would have actually noted Bane was more powerful

How exactly can he be "unmistakeable" if his power is greater just for being on Lehon?

And the general narration about "holding in reserve" and finally using his full potential would sort of indicate Bane didn't notice a difference between his and Kas'im's power on Lehon compared to Korriban

Suppose it could just be a retcon, given PoD came out about 2 years later than DR

Or applying consistent mechanics for Nexii across the board probably doesn't work too well :hmm

Or maybe Vjun was just that much greater a Nexus than Lehon or Korriban :hmm

Last edited by ChaosTheory123 on Feb 21st, 2015 at 02:33 AM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 02:30 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

That's because it isn't the individual that becomes stronger, it's the Force itself-and by extension, it's effects. A nexus, by definition, isn't a pool of power to be tapped into; it's a place where the Force itself is unusually strong. Now, in some cases such pools of power can "cause" this to occur, but that's a different subject entirely

You asked for an example, here's it coming right from the horse's mouth:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...60187-19943.jpg

"This planet is a Dark Side conduit. A call to the Force brings forth an exponential flood!"

-Darth Sidious

Another example of this was as the Merchant mentioned, in Dark Rendezvous. Whie noticed that using the Force became much easier on Vjun, and that while on the planet he could comfortably perform tasks that would have taken intense concentration normally. I'll grab you that quote tomorrow, unless someone else does.

Something I also often like to point out is that if a nexus needed to be actively drawn on, then Jedi like Yoda wouldn't struggle to use the Force while on a Dark Side Nexus. Unless you think he was intentionally drawing on Vjun's power to hinder himself, that is.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 04:30 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by NewGuy01
That's because it isn't the individual that becomes stronger, it's the Force itself-and by extension, it's effects.

Sounds like semantics

The individual wields the force. They have a given well of power unique to themselves (all that "strong in the force" shit). For the effects of the force to be strengthened, more power, more energy, needs to be available to draw upon.

quote:
A nexus, by definition, isn't a pool of power to be tapped into; it's a place where the Force itself is unusually strong.

So, you're saying...

It's not a pool of power, yet it's a pool of power

That's how it reads to me

How else but through quantity will generic fictional magic power grow "unusually strong"?

Energy doesn't spontaneously generate itself from nothing, to grow stronger it requires something more.

quote:
Now, in some cases such pools of power can "cause" this to occur, but that's a different subject entirely

I'm sort of doubtful Star Wars has gone Nasu on me, but you're free to shed some light on how this actually makes sense I guess :hmm

quote:
You asked for an example, here's it coming right from the horse's mouth:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...60187-19943.jpg

"This planet is a Dark Side conduit. A call to the Force brings forth an exponential flood!"

Yeah, this is what I wanted to see.

I hate it when I open a thread, see a bunch of discussion, yet nothing present in terms of content that's useful for those outside the circle to understand or be able to confirm what's being discussed

So thanks for bothering indulging me regarding seeking information

So Sidious says Nexii do function to give you power passively

That's fair enough then

quote:
Another example of this was as the Merchant mentioned, in Dark Rendezvous. Whie noticed that using the Force became much easier on Vjun, and that while on the planet he could comfortably perform tasks that would have taken intense concentration normally. I'll grab you that quote tomorrow, unless someone else does.

Byss is a better example

What you're describing has nothing to do with increase in power, only increase in control and finesse

Granted, maybe that's just the fault of your description, which I can certainly relate to in doing myself...

Take your time with the quote if no one bothers to post it

Not really in a rush

Granted, my 3rd post in this thread was made to provoke some response, but I was just mostly bored and avoiding doing up my personal statement for graduate applications :lmao

quote:
Something I also often like to point out is that if a nexus needed to be actively drawn on, then Jedi like Yoda wouldn't struggle to use the Force while on a Dark Side Nexus. Unless you think he was intentionally drawing on Vjun's power to hinder himself, that is.

Don't actually follow your logic

Sure, you can feasibly conclude that, by being impaired in his ability to harness the force as a light sider, the opposite must be true for dark siders

It assumes too much though on its own

Without statements like Byss?

This argument is incredibly flimsy at best

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 10:40 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I love this thread.

Note that in Dynasty of Evil, at least twice Bane and Zannah consciously call upon a nexus' power with the text pretty explicitly saying that they weren't beforehand.

And Sidious' statement doesn't explicitly say its a passive boost. A call to the Force can also refer to them consciously calling on the nexus.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 11:06 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by Nephthys
I love this thread.

Glad you're having fun. :maybe

quote:
Note that in Dynasty of Evil, at least twice Bane and Zannah consciously call upon a nexus' power with the text pretty explicitly saying that they weren't beforehand.

Yeah, Drew was pretty good about telling us when they were drawing on them at all.

Andeddu's Temple for Bane and somehow on Ambria for Zannah right?

Still not really sure HOW she can call on anything on Ambria when Thon did his job pretty well, but the implication she had to expend energy to pierce his cage and draw power out isn't too bad I guess.

quote:
And Sidious' statement doesn't explicitly say its a passive boost. A call to the Force can also refer to them consciously calling on the nexus.

True, while its not as vague about shit as most things you could bring up, the statement itself is up to some form of interpretation

Which leaves DR's which seems to only be about one's ability to control the force, not how much raw power they can throw around with it :hmm

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 05:23 PM
Raptor22

Here r the quotes from dark rendezvous.

"Scout, its incredible. There's something about this place-can't u feel it? I've never felt the force so strongly. Normally i would have to concentrate just to hold all these bones in the air, but here..." -Whie

"It frightens me, Scout said. The force is very strong here. If even i can feel that, i can only imagine what it must be like for u. I dont think its a good idea for us to use it unless we absolutely have to. It's like... air with too much oxygen. The dark side is just waiting to catch fire.-Scout

" Anakin drew 2 blasters from the gun locker by the forward hatch. "I love this planet. Its just steeped in the force . i could feel it the moment we we touched the atmosphere. Im usually a good pilot-but here it was like the ship's hull and my skin were the same thing. I could feel exactly how much heat she could take, how much torque, how many rolls..."
"The difference between coruscant and here is like the difference between swimming in fresh water and the ocean. I feel so buoyant."
"Anakin tapped the hatch lock and launched himself outside with a towering leap. Bright glares of blasterfire sparkled around the hatch, but he was thru, twisting in the air, a blaster in each hand, firing as he went, one, two, three, four shots -two droids holed thru their video sensors, running blindly across the hillside, sparks shooting from their scrambled sensor arrays.
Anakin hung in the air for an impossibly long time, let himself fall at last into a shoulder roll, two more shots at a droid trying to sneak up behind him, taking off it's weapon hand and blowing out a knee, and then he was standing, perfectly balanced, with the blaster pistol steaming in the vjunn rain. "I could walk on water," he said."

"Usually the force only helped scout predict her enemies moves when they were face to face, but the air of vjunn was rich even for her, and a prickling premonition had danced over her skin seconds before the caves started to colapse."

Sry, when i typed it out i had each paragraph spaced in, but when i posted, it all mashed together.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 02:44 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

Here is one from Crucible where luke is in that dark side monolith. Note that the person he blasts is a robot with a body and skin thats durable enough that blaster bolts ricochet off of.

"Still cartwheeling, luke flicked his palm up. The force rushed into him with wild, burning fierceness, then he unleashed a blast of energy so powerful it blew the flesh off her vanalloy skeleton -that was a surprise- and she tumbled away in pieces, her crimson blade tracing spirals thru the darkness.
Luke's shoulder glanced off a tree. He hit the ground, off balance and disoriented, a little unnerved by the raw power he had just unleashed. The force had swept into him with pure unshaped potential, and he had killed with it- more out of surprise than necessity. "

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 02:58 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote