KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series (2014) (Warning: Book/Show Spoilers)

Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series (2014) (Warning: Book/Show Spoilers)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series (2014) (Warning: Book/Show Spoilers)

You've been forewarned. This game takes place after the current point in the show during the Feast of Crows/Dance of Dragons (possibly after) period. We've got our first pieces of information on the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08...tle-information

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: For now then, our best guess is that the series will follow Stannis' troubled march to Winterfell as he's battered by snowstorms and prepares to face off against the Boltons, with you taking the role of a member of House Forrester. In the books, we never meet any named character from this noble house, though we do know they're from the Wolfswood in the North and sworn to House Glover of Deepwood Motte. As a result, it seems we're likely to encounter an entirely original character when the story starts.

Get ready to get attached to meaningless characters only for them to be killed off at the end of every episode lol. This is probably going to be my favorite Telltale game. Wolf Among Us and TWD were both great, so I have high hopes for this.

(please log in to view the image)

I doubt that last picture is real, but lol.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Aug 29th, 2014 at 07:27 PM

Old Post Aug 29th, 2014 07:15 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Old Post Aug 29th, 2014 07:25 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

So we're just following Stannis through snow and forest?

They couldn't pick anything more interesting than that?

Also, don't even care. Give me a ****ing Game of Thrones action RPG. thumb up

Old Post Aug 29th, 2014 08:13 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Considering the Walking Dead was such a huge success, I'm interested to see this game in action.

Currently going through Walking Dead Second season and loving it.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2014 11:13 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro

I.... think they did.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2014 11:24 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Martin has a give for making even the most mundane (in practice) events into amazing set pieces. For example, I was not excited to sit through Edmure Tully's wedding to some mousy Frey girl.

He also has a gift for introducing new characters and making them exciting and interesting as hell. Oberyn Martell of Dorne (a house and region I didn't care one bit about previously) comes to mind. A more recent example for me that blew my mind in the books is [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Young Griff. I'm not even sure I should put that in spoiler tags. The name is so insignificant at that anyone who isn't already aware would forget within a few seconds.

I have no doubt GRRM will make House Forrester and Deepwood Motte a blast to explore. I'm already somewhat interested since they're a Northern House that worships the Old Gods.

And if you haven't yet given Telltales previous games a chance, you should. They have a gift for storytelling. The style fits A Song of Fire and Ice (a book series set from personal perspectives that revolves completely around different characters choices and outcomes) to a T. I'll take this over an RPG for storytelling any day.

Originally posted by Smasandian
Considering the Walking Dead was such a huge success, I'm interested to see this game in action.

Currently going through Walking Dead Second season and loving it.
I just got the second season. I'm going to play through the first one more time before I begin though. I'm gonna miss Lee. The dude is my alltime favorite TWD character (show, game, comic, whatever). Lee is f*cking awesome.

How does season 2 stack up to season 1 so far?

PWNT

Old Post Aug 29th, 2014 11:42 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Inferior.

Howdy!

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 02:37 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Nephthys
I.... think they did.
I guess I should have thrown "good" somewhere in that post.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 02:58 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Martin has a give for making even the most mundane (in practice) events into amazing set pieces. For example, I was not excited to sit through Edmure Tully's wedding to some mousy Frey girl.

Martin also isn't actually working on this game at all, lol.

His personal assistant is as a "story consultant", which is fine, but I don't have high hopes for the writing being as gripping as the fat man himself's.

quote:
He also has a gift for introducing new characters and making them exciting and interesting as hell. Oberyn Martell of Dorne (a house and region I didn't care one bit about previously) comes to mind. A more recent example for me that blew my mind in the books is [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Young Griff. I'm not even sure I should put that in spoiler tags. The name is so insignificant at that anyone who isn't already aware would forget within a few seconds.

I read all the books before you did. I likely know much more about the setting than you. I don't need you to sell them to me.

quote:
I have no doubt GRRM will make House Forrester and Deepwood Motte a blast to explore. I'm already somewhat interested since they're a Northern House that worships the Old Gods.
Could be. Shame that the game isn't taking place during something inherently interesting though. Like the Civil War maybe. Or being an Ironborn raider. In fact, for a setting as diverse and interesting as GoT, I'd go as far as to say that the ideal course of action would be to have multiple viewpoints.

quote:
And if you haven't yet given Telltales previous games a chance, you should. They have a gift for storytelling. The style fits A Song of Fire and Ice (a book series set from personal perspectives that revolves completely around different characters choices and outcomes) to a T. I'll take this over an RPG for storytelling any day.

They're not even the best at storytelling in gaming. I've played both seasons of The Walking Dead and started The Wolf Among Us. Sure, Walking Dead (Particularly season 1) is a perfectly good feelsy storyline with lots of emotional moments and shit (Although to be honest the story is also fairly intellectually bankrupt, possibly because any themes are carried over from the series it is based off of). Kenny is best character, Lee and Clementine are also golden. Want to know what it doesn't have?

Interesting gameplay. Frankly it's more or less an interactive movie. It has little in common with a proper adventure game because every solution for a problem is so blatantly obvious that there's no challenge involved (Unless you consider missing a QTE challenge). It's an inherently inferior gameplay model that just exists to bring you from one plot point to the next.

The story's presentation is itself flawed. For a game that claims the story adapts to your choices it is frankly bad at doing so. If you have to make a choice between two characters dying, the one you choose to live almost never amounts to shit in the long run. They then proceed to die after doing not much of anything, usually an episode later. This is especially bad in season 2, but I won't spoil you.

Compare to Wrex who can die in Mass Effect 1, yet if he lives he continues to do cool plot relevant shit throughout the rest of the series.

Mass Effect is better in almost every way is what I am saying. thumb up

Also, seriously, I don't need a definition of "A Song of Ice and Fire" (The actual title btw). I've read the books.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 03:13 AM
NemeBro

Know what, take some of that post with a grain of salt, particularly me bashing its themes. I'm just really salty over season 2 of The Walking Dead.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 04:05 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

You are right about the very simplified and most uninteresting gameplay. Which is fine sometimes but with them having several games a year now is getting a bit old.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 04:12 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Martin also isn't actually working on this game at all, lol.

His personal assistant is as a "story consultant", which is fine, but I don't have high hopes for the writing being as gripping as the fat man himself's.

I read all the books before you did. I likely know much more about the setting than you. I don't need you to sell them to me.
Oh, that wasn't meant to come off as condescending or offensive. I know you read the books before me and know more about them until I catch up. I remember you were one of the people I talked to about them before I started last February. That wasn't meant to convince you of the books. It was meant to convince you of the game. Those were all feelings you've probably felt at some point during your reading, like I did more recently. That was to give you something relate to how I'm trying to approach this game.

Of course, the reasoning falls a bit flat if GRRM has nothing to do with the game. I remember reading a long while back when this was announced that he was making the story for it. I guess that was wrong. :/

quote:
Could be. Shame that the game isn't taking place during something inherently interesting though. Like the Civil War maybe. Or being an Ironborn raider. In fact, for a setting as diverse and interesting as GoT, I'd go as far as to say that the ideal course of action would be to have multiple viewpoints.
Eh, I may be biased since I'm rooting for Stannis to claim the throne, and the Boltons are my favorite villains. Seeing them clash without knowing the outcome is kind of exciting for me. Since I'm not yet finished with A Ball of Beasts, I don't know if their war happens before the end, so I don't know the outcome. I only found out from the book 3 days ago that Stannis is planning on claiming the North by marching on the Dreadfort, so I'm not sure if you already know the outcome of that (please, don't tell me lol).

Also, agreed with multiple view points. This game would greatly benefit from it. I'm actually assuming there will be, and this is just one chapter, or part of all the chapters. They did multiple view points in 400 days, so they definitely have a bit of experience with it. Hopefully they learned a ton from the experience of developing that DLC.

quote:
They're not even the best at storytelling in gaming. I've played both seasons of The Walking Dead and started The Wolf Among Us. Sure, Walking Dead (Particularly season 1) is a perfectly good feelsy storyline with lots of emotional moments and shit (Although to be honest the story is also fairly intellectually bankrupt, possibly because any themes are carried over from the series it is based off of). Kenny is best character, Lee and Clementine are also golden. Want to know what it doesn't have?

Interesting gameplay. Frankly it's more or less an interactive movie. It has little in common with a proper adventure game because every solution for a problem is so blatantly obvious that there's no challenge involved (Unless you consider missing a QTE challenge). It's an inherently inferior gameplay model that just exists to bring you from one plot point to the next.

The story's presentation is itself flawed. For a game that claims the story adapts to your choices it is frankly bad at doing so. If you have to make a choice between two characters dying, the one you choose to live almost never amounts to shit in the long run. They then proceed to die after doing not much of anything, usually an episode later. This is especially bad in season 2, but I won't spoil you.

Compare to Wrex who can die in Mass Effect 1, yet if he lives he continues to do cool plot relevant shit throughout the rest of the series.

Mass Effect is better in almost every way is what I am saying. thumb up

Also, seriously, I don't need a definition of "A Song of Ice and Fire" (The actual title btw). I've read the books.
A story doesn't need to have a deep plot for it to be interesting well written. One thing I've noticed is that TWD Season 1 has basically the same exact story as TLoU (which was praised left and right for its story). Its just a middle aged man who lost his family to a zombie apocalypse and developed a father/daughter relationship with a random little girl he picks up through his journey (who he also ends up sacrificing everything for). TWD ended up winning game of the year for its story in 2012, and TLoU came close but was knocked out by GTAV in 2013. Silent Hill 2 had the same simple, but great storyline style and it stuck with people for over a decade.

Agreed on the false sense of "choice" the games have. That wears a bit thin. ME is similar though. Even if Wrex dies in ME1, another Krogan takes his place and does the exact same thing. Him surviving ME1 doesn't have any real impact on the story or the ending. I do agree that ME handles it better, but not by much. The only game I've played to legitimately live up to the 'your choices affect story' tagline is Heavy Rain.

As for interesting gameplay, I'm biased here too. I grew up with Indigo Prophecy and loved Heavy Rain to death (same people who made IP), so I have a love for the interactive movie/game style. IMO, they can portray more emotion and have a more interesting way of presenting the story. Then again, I also loved all the cutscenes in MGS4. My mentality on these kind of things isn't something that's widely held, so it may be a strange opinion.

And again, that was to explain how I'm trying to approach the game. thumb up

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Inferior.

Know what, take some of that post with a grain of salt, particularly me bashing its themes. I'm just really salty over season 2 of The Walking Dead.

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear. These posts are kind of worrying.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Aug 30th, 2014 at 06:09 PM

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 05:57 PM
Bardock42

As someone who has also read the books, I can tell you NemeBro knows nothing.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 06:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

You read them in German though. You read an inferior translation of the books.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 06:43 PM
Bardock42

lolno

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 07:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I accept your concession.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 07:50 PM
Bardock42

See, that reading ability is why you don't know nothing about ASOIAF

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 08:19 PM
NemeBro

You've already conceded, to continue posting like this when you've already admitted inferiority is unseemly Bardock. Learn from Asha's example and just give up when beaten.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 08:30 PM
Arachnid1

quote:
In the video game Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series, players assume the role of five different members of House Forrester, including both family members and people in service to the house, as the members of House Forrester try to prevent the house from meeting its doom. - Wiki

Sounds like House Forrester is going to be targeted by Queen Cersie. Considering they're an inferior house, I predict the majority of them will be wiped out by the Lannisters and their allies.

Sucks to be a Forrester.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads...watermarked.jpg

Ethan Forrester looks like a conniving traitorous little shit. Lord Forrester s going to be the wise but hardened father. Mira just seems like she wont survive the game. I expect her to get Martelled. Asher is going to be the lovable brute that gets outsmarted by some capable villain and killed.

A lot of them remind me of Stark characters. Thats probably not a good thing.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Nov 21st, 2014 at 08:05 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2014 07:55 PM
Quincy
Debaser

Stoked.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Nov 21st, 2014 08:21 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote