KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Who actually wrote the bible, the torah, the quran

Who actually wrote the bible, the torah, the quran
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Who actually wrote the bible, the torah, the quran

...and who supposedly wrote these religious texts?
In reality all were written by people, of course.
Pretty sure i know the bible press release, but not up on the others.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2015 01:03 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marywasasl*t
Restricted

Account Restricted

schizophrenics, mad men and civil servants.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2015 08:11 PM
Marywasasl*t is currently offline Click here to Send Marywasasl*t a Private Message Find more posts by Marywasasl*t Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Rabbinic tradition says that some of the books in the Torah were written by Moises, I think Ecclesiastes is among those but my recollection of it is quite poor. I think the tradition should also name without too much issue the books about the exile from Babylon, since it's quite modern in the rabbinic timeline as far as the Old Testament goes.

Who actually wrote them? Nameless ascetic men, probably the few rabbis that actually had notions of written language and decided to compile tales that were mostly expressed by oral tradition. Between those speeches there were likely engravings in wood or a variety of visual cues that guided storytellers through the process. Translating and rewriting was an unforgiving task so they were likely minor figures from their respective eras.

The rest of the Bible was also recollected by relatively unknown names, but at least we have pseudonyms for a few of them. Paul did write his letters and he was a roman citizen that lived and had decent education, the letters for the other apostles are not so clear in that regard, a couple of them might be legit and others made afterwards from previous documents or later transmissions. Each text from the New Testament is attached to a particular figure so the assumed author is implied.

I'm no expert in the Quran, but it's much more recent and the Middle East was pretty enlightened at the time (much more so than Europe at that point), so their historical accounts on the book should be rather reliable. One way or another, the Prophet must've written at least a part of it although tradition has it that the text is an aspect of Allah, so technically it always existed.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 16th, 2015 09:45 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Nice info, thank you, Bentley. thumb up

Old Post Mar 16th, 2015 11:03 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

the first five in the Bible, chapter 90 onwards of Psalms - Moises...

Paul wrote most of the epistles in NT...

majority of Psalms - David...
Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Songs of Songs - Solomon...
Lamentations - Jeremiah...

epistle to the Hebrews - unnamed but the style of writing is strikingly similar to Paul's, considering the author did mention Timothy, plus the salutations parallel that of the letter to the Romans:

"You should understand that our brother Timothy has been released, with whom I shall see you if he comes soon."
Hebrews 13:23

Old Post Mar 17th, 2015 01:32 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Yes, I had forgotten about David and Salomon as authors according to the tradition, good one dyajeep.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 17th, 2015 05:48 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

thumb up

it's also good to note that some authors have other people write for them in a particular time...

for example, Silvanus wrote for Peter:

"By Silvanus, a faithful brother as I regard him, I have written briefly to you, exhorting and declaring that this is the true grace of God; stand fast in it."
I Peter 5:12

and Tertius wrote for Paul:

"I, Tertius, the writer of this letter, greet you in the Lord."
Romans 16:22

Old Post Mar 17th, 2015 06:13 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Ghost writers in the bible. huh

Old Post Mar 17th, 2015 09:47 AM
dyajeep

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Ghost writers in the bible. huh

not really "ghosts" since they are revealed and was written there for several years... smile

Old Post Mar 18th, 2015 01:48 AM
riv6672

True, just a typical RIVsponse on my part...wink

Old Post Mar 18th, 2015 09:38 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I remember this from a Bible-as-literature course I took in college (back in the Hyborian Age):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2015 01:06 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Appreciate that...thumb up

Old Post Mar 18th, 2015 09:10 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Who actually wrote the bible, the torah, the quran

Originally posted by riv6672
...and who supposedly wrote these religious texts?
In reality all were written by people, of course.
Pretty sure i know the bible press release, but not up on the others.

It depends on what part of the bible.

Here is a site that explains.

http://www.biblica.com/en-us/bible/...rote-the-bible/

Old Post Apr 16th, 2015 06:41 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

what about sensorship? didnt the vatican censor verses, chapters and so on from the bible (which was made 40 years after Jesus' death)

Old Post Apr 16th, 2015 11:24 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
what about sensorship? didnt the vatican censor verses, chapters and so on from the bible (which was made 40 years after Jesus' death)

The Council of Nicea chose what would be in the bible, and what was left out. That sounds like censorship to me.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2015 03:38 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Editing. smokin'

Old Post May 4th, 2015 09:42 AM