KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Fanfiction.net is being hypocritical.

Fanfiction.net is being hypocritical.
Started by: Nightslash

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nightslash

Fanfiction.net is being hypocritical.

I'm not posting a fanfic, but this is about a fanfic, so I figured it goes in this topic.

A day or so ago, an author named Clez, who's also a very good friend of mine, submitted a story relating to the movie Queen of the Damned. Now, fanfiction.net doesn't allow stories by Anne Rice, so they deleted the story and suspended her for a week.

I'm bringing this up because there are about twenty or more other stories that relate to Queen of the Damned that the moderators haven't done anything about, and yet they deleted hers. Sorry if you think I'm taking up space with this rant, but I think this is incredibly unfair for her.

So, if you are a fellow writer at fanfiction.net, as I am, please contact the site to complain. Or, you can contact me, at [email protected]

Thank you for your time.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2004 04:27 PM
Nightslash is currently offline Click here to Send Nightslash a Private Message Find more posts by Nightslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlayerChick
Hot Chick w/ Superpowers

I don't write Anne Rice stuff on FanFiction.net, but this incident doesn't seem really fair. The moderators need to keep on top of things and weed out all the inappropriate stories!

Old Post Mar 12th, 2004 08:08 PM
SlayerChick is currently offline Click here to Send SlayerChick a Private Message Find more posts by SlayerChick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

I know Clez, she's reviewed some of my stuff!

Why won't they allow Anne Rice?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2004 04:36 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix

Why won't they allow Anne Rice?

Because Anne Rice has stated that people are not allowed to write fanfiction about her stuff.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2004 05:49 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlayerChick
Hot Chick w/ Superpowers

I don't think thats even the issue here: the moderators banned her while dozens (if not hundreds) of other authors still have fanfics on there with Anne Rice material!

Old Post Mar 13th, 2004 11:08 PM
SlayerChick is currently offline Click here to Send SlayerChick a Private Message Find more posts by SlayerChick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

we should mass e-mail them in protest...

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 02:51 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

On a point of accuracy, unless the authors who have the material also run the site, this is the site admins being sloppy, not hypocritical- and a protest should recognise that.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 03:06 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nightslash

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
On a point of accuracy, unless the authors who have the material also run the site, this is the site admins being sloppy, not hypocritical- and a protest should recognise that.

Yeah, I know. I just thought "hypocritical" sounded more fitting, or something like that. wink

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 03:37 PM
Nightslash is currently offline Click here to Send Nightslash a Private Message Find more posts by Nightslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marandalee1988

I was wondering why there was no Anne Rice on ff.net. I've been looking for a Queen of the Damned or Interview fic. Is there ANYWHERE that will post them?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2012 01:36 AM
Marandalee1988 is currently offline Click here to Send Marandalee1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Marandalee1988 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Marandalee1988
I was wondering why there was no Anne Rice on ff.net. I've been looking for a Queen of the Damned or Interview fic. Is there ANYWHERE that will post them?

The problem is that Anne Rice is so protective of her intellectual property that she'll threaten legal action against any site that hosts fanfiction using her characters or settings.

While I tend to be of the mind that fanfiction is a waste of time, I wouldn't go so far as to say it warrants litigation.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2012 03:21 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Why would you have an issue with people using your characters creatively in a non-profit sort of way?

It really alienates a portion of your fanbase for no reason.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2012 03:52 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Because it is copyright infringement (even if no one is profiting from it) and the holder of said copyright can defend it as strictly as they wish. It's their intellectual property, after all.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2012 04:28 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

From an artistic standpoint, I can understand why a writer may also not be amused by all the horrible things that fanfiction writers can do to their characters.

I wouldn't advocate censorship/litigation (so long as the ff writers don't go for profit), but at the same time I've always thought that if you have any kind of skill as a writer you're better off writing your own stories.

I think it was TS Elliot who said that bad poets (substitute writer) "borrow" while good poets "steal".

Borrowing would be fanfiction, stealing would be retelling a story with your own unique spin such that it's barely recognizable as descending from the original. That's the basis of all real fiction.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2012 08:58 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Originally posted by Peach
Because it is copyright infringement (even if no one is profiting from it) and the holder of said copyright can defend it as strictly as they wish. It's their intellectual property, after all.

Did you read the part of my post where I talked about there being no tangible benefit to Rice? And how this alienates the most passionate part of her fanbase?

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Oct 24th, 2012 11:22 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Peach

While you're right I don't think that Anne Rice would take legal action against it because, economically speaking, it's not within her best interest to do so.

It's a very flimsy case, and there's no tangible amount of money involved—as there would be if someone were to make money off of her intellectual property or illegally distribute her works.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2012 09:28 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Astner
While you're right I don't think that Anne Rice would take legal action against it because, economically speaking, it's not within her best interest to do so.

It's a very flimsy case, and there's no tangible amount of money involved—as there would be if someone were to make money off of her intellectual property or illegally distribute her works.

Fanfiction.net likely makes a great deal of money off of advertisements given how much traffic they get. And in either case, Anne Rice doesn't need more money, any kind of lawsuit would be punitive in nature.

I'm admittedly not well versed in copyright law (I abandoned my aspirations for Law School just after two semesters of pre-law) but I would think that the onus would not be on Anne Rice to prove infringement but more on FF.net to prove that fair use hadn't been overstepped/violated. I wouldn't expect Rice to win, but I don't know if I'd call her case "flimsy"

Last edited by Omega Vision on Oct 27th, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Old Post Oct 27th, 2012 11:53 PM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Barker
Did you read the part of my post where I talked about there being no tangible benefit to Rice? And how this alienates the most passionate part of her fanbase?

Except that really it doesn't, as she's had the "no fanfic or derivative works allowed" stance for nearly two decades. Pretty much everyone is aware of this already and has been for a long, long time.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 12:01 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Omega Vision
While I tend to be of the mind that fanfiction is a waste of time.

That's dumb. It doesn't make any sense.

Spending time with characters we love is NEVER a waste of time.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I've always thought that if you have any kind of skill as a writer you're better off writing your own stories.

And what makes you think we can't write both?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 01:19 AM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BeyonderGod

Unfair like a few things on this site......

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 02:02 PM
BeyonderGod is currently offline Click here to Send BeyonderGod a Private Message Find more posts by BeyonderGod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Etherean Fire
Noble Al-LIE

Originally posted by chilled monkey
That's dumb. It doesn't make any sense.

Spending time with characters we love is NEVER a waste of time.

And what makes you think we can't write both?

Agreed. What better way to be inspired than by knowing what's possible? I'm an aspiring writer myself, and being a "skilled" writer is by no means an inherent quality.

Like any art, you have to persist like hell to even be able produce anything worthwhile, and fanfiction, for many (preferably the truly faithful and dedicated), is a healthy outlet for one's imagination and skillbuilding. Fanart is a similar avenue, as it requires an exhaustive effort from the artists and encourages them to apply and better themselves at their trade. One wouldn't dismiss that as a "waste of time" (no offense, Omega), so why would we do it with fanfiction?

Sure, I admit that there's an unfortunate frequency of those who would carelessly saturate the art with frivolous wish fulfillment with no real artistic intent, but God forbid we narrow our minds as result and overlook those who actually give a shit about what they're doing.

For the sake of future artists, we need to be able to provide them with constructive perspective; praise them for their strengths and point out their weaknesses so that they may correct them. To add to the earlier comment about how "the best poets 'steal'", these things allow authors/artists to challenge their understanding of works that inspired them to begin with so as to eventually translate what they've learned from it to their own original works. It would be more difficult for the relatively inexperienced to determine these things, would it not?

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 12:31 AM
Etherean Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Etherean Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Etherean Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote