KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Realistically, how powerful is Kyle Katarn?

Realistically, how powerful is Kyle Katarn?
Started by: Fated Xtasy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Question Realistically, how powerful is Kyle Katarn?

So he's beaten jerec, done incredible stuff while untrained and beaten seven highly dangerous Dark Jedi while untrained. Then afterwords, Katarn is empowered by the Valley of the Jedi, defeats reborn, Tavion Axmis, and a man who was able to bring down a bridge with a gesture and duel Luke skywalker.

Then there's his feats and accolades after these events.

Use a character like Mace or Obi-Wan to set the bar for Kyle.

I personally think, he's nearing Obi-Wan level perhaps?

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 04:50 AM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Eh didn't he really just beat Jerec due to cutting the latter from The Force? It wasn't really a fight was it?

Or well as I'm reading it anyway he just cut Jerec off and then cut him down, he also had his Trooper and Jedi(abit very short) training to fall back on when he fought against those 7 Dark Jedi and from what I'm reading, he didn't do so hot in any of the fights.

Now as far as later on, yeah....that's good. I could see him as Obi-Wan, maybe a tad better? Though still on that area.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 05:05 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

He didn't actually beat them with his own skill, he had Qu Rahn give him tips and direct his blade on occasion and he actually had some Imperial training. Im not sure where to rank him in sheer skill, maybe on par with Ven Zallow or Qui Gon Jinn? He hasn't got the feats to put on Kenobi's level of skill, he's probably more powerful though.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 05:22 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Hes powerful enough that Darth Caedus considered him a threat.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 08:32 AM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

He's above Darth Bane, but below Quinlan Vos.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 12:34 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Dooku-tier, but weaker than Dooku himself.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 01:43 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Somewhere between Grievous and Dooku IMO

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 02:02 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Kenobi level.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 02:04 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Yeah, he's not as good as Obi-Wan or Mace, IMO. He's probably a cut below Mara in terms of straight-up ability.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 03:40 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
He didn't actually beat them with his own skill, he had Qu Rahn give him tips and direct his blade on occasion and he actually had some Imperial training. Im not sure where to rank him in sheer skill, maybe on par with Ven Zallow or Qui Gon Jinn? He hasn't got the feats to put on Kenobi's level of skill, he's probably more powerful though.
thumb up

Tho i think i rank kyle lower than most do here. I cant even think of any feats worth noting thru the NJO, The Dark Nest, LotF, or FotJ series.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2015 02:01 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I suppose by more measurable terms, he should be a cut above the Ven Zallow/Aryn Leneer figures, while remaining pretty firmly below the high tiers like the Hero of Tython.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2015 12:25 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Agreed with NewGuy01.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2015 12:26 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Re: Realistically, how powerful is Kyle Katarn?

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
So he's beaten jerec, done incredible stuff while untrained and beaten seven highly dangerous Dark Jedi while untrained. Then afterwords, Katarn is empowered by the Valley of the Jedi, defeats reborn, Tavion Axmis, and a man who was able to bring down a bridge with a gesture and duel Luke skywalker.

Then there's his feats and accolades after these events.

Use a character like Mace or Obi-Wan to set the bar for Kyle.

I personally think, he's nearing Obi-Wan level perhaps?

Katarn is like obiwan Kenobi if he haven't been trained by Qui gon surviving order 66 and pick up his light saber again, living his life as a farmer, and begin to fight to survive as he never did before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brLXI59TO8k

Grievous is preety weak... He have o course great streng, ability stamina combine with a dealy martial art form... But that's all... You put grievous against any Sith acolyte and you get im in trouble... O.K he just kick ventress ass... But he had the suprise element on his side.....
Gainst Katarn he juste get ass kicked : N°1 fear is not an effectiv tool against Katarn N°2 Katarn, use lightning and TK like no other Jedi does, he do not refrain himself, he say that the power are not bad or even evil, it depend on how you use them. And Katarn do not hesitate , he do not care for those Jedi dueling bullsits....

Old Post Jul 19th, 2015 07:58 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Out of the part of which I was actually able to understand, which is limited, you should know other Jedi, notably Jacen, used Lightning and TK far more potently, and that despite Kyle saying there are no "bad or even evil" powers, that's actually not true. Using both only weakens him, unless you're a special snowflake like Revan. I'm also not sure what the last part even meant. What does that have to do with how powerful Kyle is?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2015 12:41 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

He's the Chuck Norris of Star Wars

Old Post Jul 20th, 2015 12:41 AM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
I'm also not sure what the last part even meant. What does that have to do with how powerful Kyle is?

I think he's saying Kyle has no morals. laughing

Old Post Jul 20th, 2015 10:12 AM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

While I have you guys here. I know that Kyle gains force lightning as he progresses through jedi outcast, but has he any showings with FL in any of his appearances? Just curious, because I don't really know whether this is the only time he's seen with FL or something. Thanks in advanced!

Old Post Jul 21st, 2015 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I don't believe he does.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2015 07:47 AM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by NewGuy01
I think he's saying Kyle has no morals. laughing

Despite all his efforts to be Dad Katarn, sure, he;s right.

I think Kyle uses Lightning during JA gameplay, but nothing substantial.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2015 07:59 AM