KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Has Darth Maul been Irreversibly Butchered?

Has Maul been butchered as a Character
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes- Like I_Like_Swords I am crying silent tears 8 88.89%
No - I love what Disney have done with him 1 11.11%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Has Darth Maul been Irreversibly Butchered?
Started by: Ziggystardust

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ziggystardust
Restricted

Account Restricted

Has Darth Maul been Irreversibly Butchered?

(please log in to view the image)

First of all, I am not some Darth Maul hater. It is true... that I'm no fan of the silent assassin archetype, but it certainly suited Maul when that was his defining trope. When I was eight, my dear mother bought me the Dark-horse publication Darth maul from a Brighton charity shop. It was one of the very first comics I ever owned. Ten years later and reading it again, I would honestly be lying if I said his character wasn't genuinely terrifying. It's only a shame, that I can't say the same about him now.

Maul has finally adopted the 'not so scary villain' trope. His goals can be as grandiose as Sidious', but the way he'd go about his plans makes one wonder what he'd actually do if he ever won. Instead of putting the heroes through a Death Course, it'll merely be an obstacle course strewn with riddles. It is true that the Maul might possess an impressive array of powers, but he'll end up using it with all the effectiveness of Misapplied Phlebotinum.

Last edited by Ziggystardust on Jul 21st, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 12:42 PM
Click here to Send Ziggystardust a Private Message Find more posts by Ziggystardust Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chingchangwalla
Restricted

Account Restricted

thumb up Wrecking Grievous was bad enough but Maul as well, mm ****ing disgraceful.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 12:57 PM
Click here to Send chingchangwalla a Private Message Find more posts by chingchangwalla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chingchangwalla
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maul and Grievous needed to be the genuinely shit scary blokes whilst Dooku was the moustache twirling old-school villain. Instead you have two incompetent moustache twirling villains who lose to Eeth Koth and get beaten by a blind man sad

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 12:59 PM
Click here to Send chingchangwalla a Private Message Find more posts by chingchangwalla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I prefer the old Maul, as in TCW, but I also enjoy the idea of injecting humour into his character. Especially at his age and in his position, he really has nothing to lose. So it makes a lot of Maul to stop being so serious and starting having fun, and it melds perfectly with his sadistic personality. And on a more general note its just refreshing to see them try something new.

How threatening he is as a character is a separate issue I think, I don't think there is any reason why he can't be threatening and amusing at the same time. And considering we've only seen him in one episode and one clip its awfully early to cast a judgement. Personally I think it would be remiss if Ezra's relationship with Maul and his path down the dark side did not gain some serious meat, and in that respect Maul could make for a very threatening villain. But at the same time I'm not fully convinced of the show's ability to execute that effectively. Twilight of the Apprentice for example was great, but fell short of its lofty potential.

There is also the added issue of the main cast being coated in plot armour, unlike in TCW, where he could establish himself as a real threat by say killing Duchess Satine, Pre Viszla and in general ****ing over Mandalore, he's got a loss less wiggle room here to be an effective antagonist. But again, turning Ezra to the dark side is the ideal way to redress that problem, as he needn't deny but nonetheless would be profoundly affected.

Regardless either way Maul will remain entertaining as a character, and as long as he's given a good death I won't have much complaint.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 01:19 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Maul's definitely fallen from his glory days in the TPM.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 01:21 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

His depiction in TCW was good. He butchered Satine in front of Obi-Wan. He intimidated multiple gangs into following him. He murdered Vizsla e.t.c e.t.c

It's Rebels that's butchering Maul. But to be fair it's only been the 1 episode so far so will give them the benefit of the doubt and see where it goes before I send death threats to Filoni.

But I am genuinely scared Maul will die to Kanan or perhaps even Ezra.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 01:31 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yes, pretty much. He's lost what was originally cool and become a very stock Sith villain. It's clear they didn't have any interesting plans for his personality so they just made him kind of generically evil.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 02:07 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Exaggerations. Patience.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 02:10 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Maul's definitely fallen from his glory days in the TPM.

thumb up

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 02:12 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Nephthys
Yes, pretty much. He's lost what was originally cool and become a very stock Sith villain. It's clear they didn't have any interesting plans for his personality so they just made him kind of generically evil.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 02:36 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

It is almost as if the Maul arc in TCW, could've easily been handed over to Asajj Ventress and further developed her character. Instead of cashing in on the sole cow TPM produced and having Ventress disappear behind a Tano/Offee storyline only for her to get off'd in that braincell killing Golden novel.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 02:53 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NTJack0
Ranger

It's not like Maul was all that interesting to begin with.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 03:22 PM
Click here to Send NTJack0 a Private Message Find more posts by NTJack0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by NTJack0
It's not like Maul was all that interesting to begin with.
How dare you.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 03:28 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by AncientPower
It is almost as if the Maul arc in TCW, could've easily been handed over to Asajj Ventress and further developed her character. Instead of cashing in on the sole cow TPM produced and having Ventress disappear behind a Tano/Offee storyline only for her to get off'd in that braincell killing Golden novel.
Nahhhh

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 03:38 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

TPM Maul was his best incarnation imo.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 03:42 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Tbh I think Ventress will make her appearance in Rebels. And I don't think Maul's intro was bad, he seemed like a different character.

Also, nothing surpasses REX's appearance on the show.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 03:43 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Ventress is dead, lol.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 03:45 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

lmao

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Petrus
Tbh I think Ventress will make her appearance in Rebels. And I don't think Maul's intro was bad, he seemed like a different character.

Also, nothing surpasses REX's appearance on the show.

I don't even know why Rex is in the show to begin with tbh other than fan service, I feel like he's just there.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 04:18 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Probably because we never find out his fate.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2016 04:23 PM