KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » A Question for Atheists.

A Question for Atheists.
Started by: Flyattractor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Flyattractor

A Question for Atheists.

And that Question is.

Do you hope that you are Right, or Wrong?

Thoughts?

smile

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:10 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Right or wrong about what exactly? State your question more clearly, my green-fonted friend.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 12:38 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

If there is an AFTERLIFE or not.

I would have thought that would have been rather OBVIOUS hence that kind of being the ULTIMATE Question for an Atheist.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 07:01 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Well, I hope that when we die we can eat nothing but pork loin ribs and watermelon and f#ck Victoria Secret supermodels, but that doesn't make it likely.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 07:05 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

SO then you HOPE for Some thing while at the same time you feel to need to ridicule those with a belief for something along the same lines?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 07:12 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Except I'm being facetious and know it's ridiculous. I said it wasn't likely.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 07:21 PM
Flyattractor

Ahh I see, I see.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 07:26 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Well, I hope that when we die we can eat nothing but pork loin ribs and watermelon and f#ck Victoria Secret supermodels, but that doesn't make it likely.

Exactly, hope there's something sure, but I don't really expect it.

Belief in the afterlife of a paradise where everyone who obeyed this/that rule gets to go and exist happily ever after and those that didn't get anally raped in a fire pit for all eternity is little more than Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy tales for the masses.

edit: I'm also not an Atheist too boot, but I don't think you need to be to see through obvious (imo) man-made fairy tales. Talking snakes, magical gardens, human-gods, transmutations, flying to heaven on a winged horse, god speaking to people etc., all fantasy stories.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 24th, 2017 at 07:49 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 07:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Nice to see you put it out there clearly. It explains so much about your other "Beliefs".

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 07:41 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
edit: I'm also not an Atheist too boot, but I don't think you need to be to see through obvious (imo) man-made fairy tales. Talking snakes, magical gardens, human-gods, transmutations, flying to heaven on a winged horse, god speaking to people etc., all fantasy stories.

I didn't want to call myself an atheist for a long time, either. And I still wish I didn't have to, because I think in a truly rational world it wouldn't be necessary, but it is necessary politically now, because it's an easy and effective way to separate yourself from the fairy-tale-believing religious folk that you speak of. Given as much as we now know about the natural world through science it just simply isn't tenable anymore to believe in extra-dimensional supernatural beings (who are oddly similarly flawed like humans). And if you do, you have to admit the lack of relevance that such a being has on the here and now. So if God exists, (s)he is irrelevant because all we have is our brains and our collaboration (or lack thereof).

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 12:14 AM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
, but it is necessary politically now,

That is a pretty ugly view of things.

I approve.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 06:57 AM
SamZED

If we're talking eternal bliss then of course I'd pick that over nothingness, so I guess I hope that I am wrong. That said, i do NOT hope for the christian or muslim versions of afterlife. I am going to hell according to both, which would be fine as long as I deserved it for being a bad person. But if I dont make it to heaven for not being christian/muslim enough or for "rejecting" Jesus/Allah type sh!t, then they can both go F themselves because it is not the type of heaven I'd like to go to, and I hope that it doesn't exist.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 09:32 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

You don't go to hell just for not being Christian in christianity.

No idea of how it goes in Islam.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 09:38 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

I culd be wrong. But I was told on more than one occasion by Christians that I have to accept Jesus Christ as my lord and saivor or else I'll go to hell.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 10:01 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by SamZED
I culd be wrong. But I was told on more than one occasion by Christians that I have to accept Jesus Christ as my lord and saivor or else I'll go to hell.

There is all kind of bs people calling themselves christians (or muslims, or any religion/practice really).

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 10:29 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Originally posted by Bentley
There is all kind of bs people calling themselves christians (or muslims, or any religion/practice really).
I know, but that doesn't mean everything they say is bs. I am pretty sure that it is the case in Islam that non believers go to hell. Now I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on either religion, but a quick google search gave me this:

Mark 16:16King James Version (KJV)
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

And I'd like to stress that I have no idea if this verse is still relevant/accepted by Christians or even if it means what I think it means and if there are 8 others that condrodict this one etc... (and if so then please do correct me) but if it means what I think it means then it is exactly what I meant when I said that one can go to hell for not being Christian enough. In this case for not believing or being baptized.

Last edited by SamZED on Aug 25th, 2017 at 01:38 PM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 01:32 PM
Bentley
Seitei

I know, but that doesn't mean everything they say is bs. I am pretty sure that it is the case in Islam that non believers go to hell. Now I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on either religion, but a quick google search gave me this:

Mark 16:16King James Version (KJV)
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

And I'd like to stress that I have no idea if this verse is still relevant/accepted by Christians or even if it means what I think it means and if there are 8 others that condrodict this one etc... (and if so then please do correct me) but if it means what I think it means then it is exactly what I meant when I said that one can go to hell for not being Christian enough. In this case for not believing or being baptized.

The problem with that interpretation is that the teological implications actually shrink the sacrifice of Christ. If you couldn't have found the Church during your lifetime, then you would be de facto condeemed to Hell, which would make Christ's Death a "partial" salvation, not available for every human being.

So to get around that problem most christian denominations assume that people can find Christ's grace outside the Church even if it's always more desirable to become a member of whichever christian beliefs they practice.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 02:45 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Bentley
You don't go to hell just for not being Christian in christianity.

False. You do indeed.

This is correct. I live in the southern Unites States. This is an all-too common belief. My dad is a fundamental Christian.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 03:12 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Really depends on the interpenetration, but accepting Jesus as being the only way to reach God and thereby heaven is kinda the crux of most (all?) Judeo-Christian based religions.

John John 3:16 often being quoted in this regards: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." It's the one you see most often people holding up on a piece of cardboard at rallies, sports games, conventions etc. Saw at least one person holding it up at Comic Con in San Francisco earlier this year. Even got in on the bottom on an In-N-Out Burger drink cup.

John 14:6 is another favorite that supports the belief in Jesus as savior = ticket to heaven: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 25th, 2017 at 08:27 PM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 08:25 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can't say I hope the biblical God exists. Who wants an abomination deciding where you go after you die?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 08:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote