KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Post-RotJ Luke as a character - Canon vs Legends

Post-RotJ Luke as a character - Canon vs Legends
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Post-RotJ Luke as a character - Canon vs Legends

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)

Looking at the characters strictly from his appearances in post-Return of the Jedi works. For Canon, this is from Shattered Empire to The Last Jedi; for Legends, this is from The Shadows of Mindor to Legacy: War. Which iteration of the character did you prefer - the depressed failure or the legendary grandmaster?

Last edited by Azronger on Dec 20th, 2017 at 01:48 AM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 01:39 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The one that hasn't inexplicably survived 40+ years of impossible shit.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 01:45 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Well I have to say I'm a fan of beards... but Legends

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 01:57 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Who isn't a fan of sad, lonely, and broken cowards?

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 01:58 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheMuser

Lol Legends

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 02:01 AM
Click here to Send TheMuser a Private Message Find more posts by TheMuser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Legends, it's not like he hasn't dealt with deep shit in that canon either, but instead of letting it consume him, he's still able to press on.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Dec 20th, 2017 at 02:09 AM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 02:03 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

"Compassion is for those who deserve it."

Legends is a lot better if we stop at NJO. Once you add in LotF and FotJ it becomes a lot more difficult to choose.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 02:07 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Canon Luke is representative of the white, middle-aged man in America. They're depressed like Luke and ready to die.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 02:48 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

The Legends version, obviously, but I don't exactly dislike Luke in canon.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 03:48 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Canon Luke, easily.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 03:54 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

After so much time reading throughout the Legends, with truly so many, 3/10, extremely poor works, I have really learned to appreciate the EU Luke. Despite all these inconsistencies, so many books I would rather forget about, all the writers, overall, really managed to capture the spirit of OT Luke well. They developed him towards his sixties really legitimately, never going off the core of his character, never undermining the Original Trilogy, but going into an interesting direction nonetheless. EU Luke remained the good-hearted farmboy trying to find a glimpse of light in everybody. He remained the RotJ Luke fearing the Dark Side into his final days. He remained somebody whose heart is that truly of a real Jedi, and remained somebody who was, let's face it, taking a piss on so many lessons of his predecessors, and so many of their mistakes as well.

He wasn't perfect, at all. He was this guy who just tries to be perfect, to do the wisest stuff possible, the calmest approach doable. But he was still someone who fallen into the damaged Unifying Force-Potentium combo, which gave a nice struggle in the Dark Nest. He killed Lumiya in an act of revenge, and all of that.

What I truly like about Luke in EU is that he really is that shining star, that guy who most people will consider boring and dull iconic Jedi, that still fails, that still gives into fear or grief or rush, that's still human. Somebody that's super-hyper-extremely moral (to the point of being a boring fuggot maybe), but still a human being, without the writers just suddenly giving him a bad day. Nope, he's still on top of that moral mountain and writers just give him challenges great enough that he can have his downs while remaining on the top of this moral mountain nonetheless.

What really makes me appreciate the writing is that there are so many instances where he's just this most powerful Jedi, the absolute badass, the absolute power in the universe, but he's still not overpowered in terms of writing. He shits on nearly everybody, but stories involving him concern events so wide and complicated, he still can't just power his way through the obstacles. He gets involved in galactical conflicts where he can't just power his way through planetary defenses or be at two places at once. In NJO they really learned to make him all-powerful without making a story boring. In essence, they just keep pressuring the point that he's still just a one person. He can have the power of the black hole, but that black hole still can't fight an entire war or repair corrupt government.

I really take all of that over Canon... but how can that be a surprise?

In essence, Legends Luke kept being a main character. In Canon, he gets disposed of to get the story into Rey-Finn-Kylo hands. There's no denying this huge difference in approach. I won't debate how they handled Luke in TFA and TLJ, but the approach is obvious. You can't have a forced-out-of-the-screen Luke match the main-character one.

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 03:57 AM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JKBart
After so much time reading throughout the Legends, with truly so many, 3/10, extremely poor works, I have really learned to appreciate the EU Luke. Despite all these inconsistencies, so many books I would rather forget about, all the writers, overall, really managed to capture the spirit of OT Luke well. They developed him towards his sixties really legitimately, never going off the core of his character, never undermining the Original Trilogy, but going into an interesting direction nonetheless. EU Luke remained the good-hearted farmboy trying to find a glimpse of light in everybody. He remained the RotJ Luke fearing the Dark Side into his final days. He remained somebody whose heart is that truly of a real Jedi, and remained somebody who was, let's face it, taking a piss on so many lessons of his predecessors, and so many of their mistakes as well.

He wasn't perfect, at all. He was this guy who just tries to be perfect, to do the wisest stuff possible, the calmest approach doable. But he was still someone who fallen into the damaged Unifying Force-Potentium combo, which gave a nice struggle in the Dark Nest. He killed Lumiya in an act of revenge, and all of that.

What I truly like about Luke in EU is that he really is that shining star, that guy who most people will consider boring and dull iconic Jedi, that still fails, that still gives into fear or grief or rush, that's still human. Somebody that's super-hyper-extremely moral (to the point of being a boring fuggot maybe), but still a human being, without the writers just suddenly giving him a bad day. Nope, he's still on top of that moral mountain and writers just give him challenges great enough that he can have his downs while remaining on the top of this moral mountain nonetheless.

What really makes me appreciate the writing is that there are so many instances where he's just this most powerful Jedi, the absolute badass, the absolute power in the universe, but he's still not overpowered in terms of writing. He shits on nearly everybody, but stories involving him concern events so wide and complicated, he still can't just power his way through the obstacles. He gets involved in galactical conflicts where he can't just power his way through planetary defenses or be at two places at once. In NJO they really learned to make him all-powerful without making a story boring. In essence, they just keep pressuring the point that he's still just a one person. He can have the power of the black hole, but that black hole still can't fight an entire war or repair corrupt government.

In essence, Legends Luke kept being a main character. In Canon, he gets disposed of to get the story into Rey-Finn-Kylo hands. There's no denying this huge difference in approach. I won't debate how they handled Luke in TFA and TLJ, but the approach is obvious. You can't have a forced-out-of-the-screen Luke match the main-character one.

Could not agree more. Well done.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:05 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Well, I'm definitely not picking the Luke that went from refusing to fight/kill Darth Vader(a being who had committed countless atrocities already) in the hopes of turning him back to the Light, to contemplating murdering his nephew because of what he might one day become.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:19 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Trocity
Well, I'm definitely not picking the Luke that went from refusing to fight/kill Darth Vader(a being who had committed countless atrocities already) in the hopes of turning him back to the Light, to contemplating murdering his nephew because of what he might one day become.

Legends Luke has done a lot worse shit than that such as actually falling to the dark side.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:21 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by JKBart

thumb up

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:21 AM
Trocity

Originally posted by Trocity

Oh and then ran away to hide and die and leave everyone he's ever cared about to try and clean up his mess.

Yeah, Luke sucks.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:24 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by ares834
Legends Luke has done a lot worse shit than that such as actually falling to the dark side.

Yes... when mindraped by Palpatine, not of his own free will.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:28 AM
Trocity

thumb up

If it is revealed it was Snoke messing with his and Ben's heads, that would be some redemption at least...

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:31 AM
ares834

Originally posted by Azronger
Yes... when mindraped by Palpatine, not of his own free will.

Fair enough. But Luke constantly flirts with the dark side throughout the EU. Personally, I have no problem with the Kylo sequence and felt it made sense. It's really no worse then what he did from time-to-time in the books.

The issue is Luke bitching out afterwards. And worse than all of that is the fact that he likely won't be the one to recreate the Jedi Order.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:42 AM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Legends has a lot of garbage writing (some as bad as TLJ), but overall, it managed to stay true to Luke's character. Rian on the other hand wanted to be "edgy" and ended up gutting the character in the process. You'd need a full three movies to properly do to Luke what Rian tried to do in one. The fall and rise of Luke Jaywalker. Now that could have been a good trilogy. Throw out all the Rey/Finn/Poe crap and make it about Luke's perilous journey to restarting the Jedi Order.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 05:28 AM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote