KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Am I the only one here that can't get into SWTOR? (Repost)

Am I the only one here that can't get into SWTOR? (Repost)
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Am I the only one here that can't get into SWTOR? (Repost)

I re-downloaded it the other day, after taking a years-long Hiatus from it.

What I found out was...

1. SWTOR really doesn't like my GTX 1050-TI or my i7 processor, as it lagged a lot.

2. The combat felt flashy, but very, very boring, it didn't feel good to fight things, which is a big deal for me in games, combat is super important. Hell, ****in ESO, DCUO, and FF:XIV:ARR have way better combat, and I don't feel that strongly about either of those games in the slightest except for DCUO.

3. Lack of decent player-progression and feeling under-powered against enemies.

Why do I feel weak when fighting common Rakghouls at level 22? Why did I barely beat Darth Tarnis and random Dark Jedi by the very skin of my teeth?

Why do they portray me as some bad-ass in some cutscenes and treat me like a ***** in others? Oh yeah I'm really the galaxy's only hope when the bad guy can toss me around like I'm nothing and I have to ****in sneak up on him just to stand a chance.

4. Subscription-based game, yeah no, this MMO is not good enough to be subscription-based, whether we're talking storyline, which ruined most of it's decent characters, ruined Revan, overblew the Emperor. Am I supposed to be intimidated by Valkorion? It doesn't sound half as intimidating as Vitiate, and he looked way more disturbing before, that mask he wore when taking down the council was bad-ass. Now he's some generic white-bearded dude.

You want more game? You better pay up to get to all the extra shit, and you better keep paying every single month to keep it.

It's fair enough if you want to make us pay for it, but make it BUY to play, you clearly make enough money charging us tons of money to get the bajillion credits needed for any type of significant character customization, so just use that.

Furthermore, speaking more on Revan, what exactly the **** where they thinking when they turned him into this psycho that wanted an entire species life destroyed. He also went down like a ***** "I've fought Mandalore's and armies of the dark side. You won't stop me! -Dies-".

What. The. ****?

5. At least Character Customization is decent... Oh wait, no it's not, because to meaningfully customize your character you have to have millions of credits? WHAT'S THAT? YOU WANTED TO LOOK LIKE TULAK HORD? WELL **** YOU, EAT SHIT, GIVE US MONEY. OH WHAT? YOU WANTED A WHITE LIGHTSABER? MORE MONEYYYYYYY. You need millions of credits just for the 2 things I listed, maybe some of these changed but from what I've seen the company is greedy.

6. EA and Origin. That is all.

It's cool to play the games for the lore. But there are so many better games that have real fun action-oriented combat. A better storyline, and way better character customization while still being F2P.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 1st, 2019 08:44 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I'm sorry but in a game where progression is rewarded way more then skill, if I'm decently equipped and have leveled up skills that deal tons of damage, and a small group of Rakghouls can bring down my health more then half, I think there's a problem, especially when I over-level them.

Yeah I get I might be "bad at the game", but it doesn't change the fact that I didn't have fun fighting stuff.

There's plenty of content, the story is passable of course, but they ruin so many characters we've come to know in love and made them all unlikable or stupid in some way.

Especially that stupid lightsaber, the Outlander gets some magic ****in lightsaber so he can beat Arcann.

What? WHAT THE ****? OH YEAH NO OBI-WAN YOU CAN BEAT SIDIOUS JUST GET THE MAGIC LIGHTSABER IT'S COOL.

What did it really improve? Am I expected to believe the Outlander's martial prowess became better due to some lightsaber?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2019 08:46 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I was in to SWTOR. I really liked it too. Enough to play each of the six storylines to completion at least once. I just think they shit the bed HARD with the expansion. Dumbing down the gameplay (instead of just making it accessible, they ****ed it up hard).

It wasn't fun to play anymore, nor did it really have the challenge that something like FFXIV has.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 02:11 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Forgot about that game. The Imperial Spy mission was pretty fun.

I dropped it mainly because Coop was broken, and I was mostly interested in a ftp coop option. Too many cutscenes were restricted to only one player, so you'd end up twiddling your thumbs while they were in a Jedi conference call or something.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 02:15 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
I was in to SWTOR. I really liked it too. Enough to play each of the six storylines to completion at least once. I just think they shit the bed HARD with the expansion. Dumbing down the gameplay (instead of just making it accessible, they ****ed it up hard).

It wasn't fun to play anymore, nor did it really have the challenge that something like FFXIV has.
Both games were way too slow-paced for me.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 05:44 AM
ares834

Nope. The game sucks. Boring combat and a horrible story. It is nothing more than a bad WoW-Clone with a SW paintjob.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 06:48 AM
ares834 is online now! Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Was into it for quite a long time. But that was mostly due to me being a big SW and MMO fan. Was into the lore and world but the gameplay was simply decent if you came from WoW, not all that great tho.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 11:23 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I played through the Jedi Guardian storyline.

It's an okay game. The environments look pretty good, and the narrative is very solid for an MMO - it's very cool how quest is fully voice acted.

That said, the combat is pretty boring, like a dumbed down less fun, less dynamic version of WoW, and the world itself, outside of some hub towns, feels very bland and boring.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 10:17 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by -Pr-
Dumbing down the gameplay (instead of just making it accessible, they ****ed it up hard).

Ugh, I had completely forgotten about this. Yeah, the game was significantly less fun after the skill system was changed.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 11:37 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by BackFire
I played through the Jedi Guardian storyline.

It's an okay game. The environments look pretty good, and the narrative is very solid for an MMO - it's very cool how quest is fully voice acted.

That said, the combat is pretty boring, like a dumbed down less fun, less dynamic version of WoW, and the world itself, outside of some hub towns, feels very bland and boring.
If you want some MMO's with awesome combat.

Dauntless, I posted about it earlier. Fun-as-hell MonsterHunter clone.

Vindictus, action-packed anime-themed game with button presses and clicks over tabs. (A big plus for me).

Dragon's Dogma Online, one of the funnest MMO's ever, period, due to the combat alone.

Guild Wars 2, awesome combat, nothing feels like a chore, quests are fantastic.

Black Desert Online, actions are very brutal, a bit flashy, but way more fun then something like SWTOR or WoW.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2019 12:42 AM
Larin Delbink

IMO the worst part of the game is the sidequests, and actually an area where I think of the strong story emphasis as a weakness rather than a strength, because at least in an MMO that isn't very story driven, you can kind of just quickly read through the tiny text box for the story content and then just get on with it. But with TOR, where the sidequests are ultimately just as uninteresting and uninspired as any generic MMO fetch quest, I find the extra detail and interactivity mainly just a waste of time.

Regarding the game in general, I agree with most of the posts in this thread.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2019 08:28 PM
Larin Delbink is currently offline Click here to Send Larin Delbink a Private Message Find more posts by Larin Delbink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by Jmanghan
If you want some MMO's with awesome combat.

Dauntless, I posted about it earlier. Fun-as-hell MonsterHunter clone.

Vindictus, action-packed anime-themed game with button presses and clicks over tabs. (A big plus for me).

Dragon's Dogma Online, one of the funnest MMO's ever, period, due to the combat alone.

Guild Wars 2, awesome combat, nothing feels like a chore, quests are fantastic.

Black Desert Online, actions are very brutal, a bit flashy, but way more fun then something like SWTOR or WoW.

For me combat is less important in an MMO than the world having a sense of place and feeling like somewhere I want to explore and lose myself in, or having a cohesive narrative, among other things, like a good community and an effective carrot on a stick. The only one of those I've played in GW2, and it's very good, but the carrot on the stick wasn't there for me and I prefer the holy trinity group dynamic.

For me, I think the best MMO out there is FFIVX. The world has deep and compelling lore, it has the best narrative of any MMO I've played, and has good carrot on a stick mechanics to keep you pushing on, and a great community. Also a very pretty presentation and pretty decent combat.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2019 09:36 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

For me combat is less important in an MMO than the world having a sense of place and feeling like somewhere I want to explore and lose myself in, or having a cohesive narrative, among other things, like a good community and an effective carrot on a stick. The only one of those I've played in GW2, and it's very good, but the carrot on the stick wasn't there for me and I prefer the holy trinity group dynamic.

For me, I think the best MMO out there is FFIVX. The world has deep and compelling lore, it has the best narrative of any MMO I've played, and has good carrot on a stick mechanics to keep you pushing on, and a great community. Also a very pretty presentation and pretty decent combat.
I'm the opposite I think, the combat is probably my biggest interest in ANY game, unless I'm playing a platformer, or something like Journey.

Also, wow, does anyone remember Journey? Holy shit that game won so many awards.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 03:40 AM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Ugh, I had completely forgotten about this. Yeah, the game was significantly less fun after the skill system was changed.
I meant to say this to you awhile ago.

How does Valk not look generic?

He's some grey-haired bearded dude, he's just not intimidating.

He looked the most intimidating with the mask he wore when fighting the council members and the HoT.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2019 02:40 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

With the new expansion coming in a couple of weeks (playable Nautolans ftw) and me being on a Star Wars thing as of late, I decided to hop back in.

I'm levelling a Sith Sorcerer, and most of what I felt before about the game hasn't changed. Enjoying the story, love how the powers work, but by god is it too easy. I am NOT one of those elite players that has to have BiS equipment while doing the hardest raids in the game while hopped up on energy drinks, but at the same time... I got jumped by more mobs than one should today, and someone distracted me while I was trying to kill the crowd. I looked away for a good twenty seconds, and looked back only to see that Khem Val had more than half his health, and I had at least three-quarters of mine.

In FFXIV I'd have been murdered.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 11th, 2019 09:26 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Whoever decided to make this game instead of just making a sequel to KOTOR 2 is a big piece of f*cking shit.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2019 10:34 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Probably an EA executive. I always heard rumors that internally BioWare wanted to make kotor 3 but couldn’t get the ok from uptop.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2019 04:11 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Given how thoroughly EA has ****ed Bioware, I wouldn't be surprised.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 15th, 2019 05:59 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably an EA executive. I always heard rumors that internally BioWare wanted to make kotor 3 but couldn’t get the ok from uptop.

Me responding to the news:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 15th, 2019 09:24 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote