KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Statements vs Feats

Statements vs Feats
Started by: deft

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
deft

Statements vs Feats

Are scans the end all be all of whether or not we believe a character can do something or are documented statements that the writer has written or worth just as much?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 02:54 AM
deft is currently offline Click here to Send deft a Private Message Find more posts by deft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

If the statements are narrative captions not speech bubbles
They are just as good as feats

Social media comments are usually a cluster fuk of fans trying to get writers to say what they want to hear, so it gets complicated

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 05:49 AM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CatL18

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MrMind
If the statements are narrative captions not speech bubbles
They are just as good as feats

Social media comments are usually a cluster fuk of fans trying to get writers to say what they want to hear, so it gets complicated

This.
About twitter, people make writers tell what they want to hear.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 06:33 AM
CatL18 is currently offline Click here to Send CatL18 a Private Message Find more posts by CatL18 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Depends on which makes hulk look more impressive and others less impressive, eh carver?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 06:51 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

Feats all day long

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 07:43 AM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say feats > statements. Talking about lifting a weight isn't as impressive as actually lifting the same weight, etc.

That said, statements *can*(and often *do*) hold just as much validity as feats, depending on who made the statement and what the context behind it is.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 09:33 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Assuming it's all in the actual comic:

Feats > statements, usually.

Though as a general rule, feats with statements > feats or statements alone. The combined art and words give multiple ways to assess the feat. The better we can understand the feat, the more weight we can place in relying on it.

Statements alone are difficult, because it implies that something is theoretical or happened off panel. Either way, lots of ambiguity and little reliability.

... unless OP is asking about statements the writer makes outside of the comic, which do not in any way trump what happens in the comic.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 02:09 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Well as I mentioned, it depends who made the statement and what the context is behind it. Because some statements are irrefutable from the onset, and do not require any supporting 'feats' to validate them.

For example: if Rip Hunter or Waverider state the timestream is collapsing, I don't need to see a page depicting its literal collapse to know they are 100% correct. If Reed, Valeria, and Franklin are having a discussion about the inner-workings of Marvel's current cosmology, I don't need to see any of those inner-workings depicted on panel to believe them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 11:58 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Beat me to it. I was just making this thread up in my head as well...

I would class them as:

1 Feats not depending on art - taken as gospel. Nobody here questions that Superman can fly, for example.

2. Feats depending on art - Drax's anti-Thanos aura, some depictions of speed fighting, and bullet-timing.

3. In-character narration. By this I mean, if Reed or Pym says that he's tested Cyclops' eye blasts, and they contain the equivalent of 1 million Newtons, we believe him. I won't believe Johnny Storm if he said this.

4. Comic Narration. This one is a bit iffy, particularly when we start looking at the Silver Age or pre-crisis comics.

5. Character narration. Spiderman telling the story of the Sentry stalemating Galactus.

Originally posted by carver9
Perfect way of putting it. You are a pretty good poster.

With this posts this thread can be closed.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 12:38 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Statements, whether it's narrative or not, can be riddled with analogues and hyperbole and because of that it's a less reliable form of evidence. But the idea that statements are completely useless is a stretch to say the least.

Although I can sympathize with battleboard communities that deal with cross-fiction battles and have stricter criteria with evidence because a comic character is going to have a more extensive history than a movie character.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 03:39 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Originally posted by MrMind

thumb up

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 04:38 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JBL THE GREAT

It depends on the character being talked about.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 05:31 PM
JBL THE GREAT is currently offline Click here to Send JBL THE GREAT a Private Message Find more posts by JBL THE GREAT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by DarkSaint85

LOL

You and carv were such a great couple in 2011.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 06:20 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Re: Statements vs Feats

Originally posted by Galan007
Well as I mentioned, it depends who made the statement and what the context is behind it. Because some statements are irrefutable from the onset, and do not require any supporting 'feats' to validate them.

For example: if Rip Hunter or Waverider state the timestream is collapsing, I don't need to see a page depicting its literal collapse to know they are 100% correct. If Reed, Valeria, and Franklin are having a discussion about the inner-workings of Marvel's current cosmology, I don't need to see any of those inner-workings depicted on panel to believe them. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Sure... but those statements aren't really 'feats', and seem irrelevant to this topic?

If Rip Hunter states the timestream is collapsing, I don't see why anyone would have reason to doubt him. If Rip then says that "Character X is the only one who can fix it", now we're in the territory of something that can be measured as a feat.

The question is, can we rely on statements without feats to believe that a character can do something?
Originally posted by deft
Are scans the end all be all of whether or not we believe a character can do something or are documented statements that the writer has written or worth just as much?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 06:41 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Smurph
The question is, can we rely on statements without feats to believe that a character can do something?
Sure. Depending on who says it and what the context behind the statement is.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 07:15 PM
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

[feats and statements that don't contradict each other] > [feats] > [statements by credible sources on specific events] [i.e. see Galan's post about the Linear Men] > [objective statements by the author's narration box] > [...] > [empty statements -i.e. hyperbole, statements made in the midst of the battle "I've never been punched that hard!" etc.] > [...infinity...] > [other sources [handbooks]] > [....] > [harassing the writers to give you PMs]

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Oct 25th, 2019 at 03:23 PM

Old Post Oct 25th, 2019 03:21 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

^ thumb up

I like this thread. Lots of good replies, surprisingly.

Good job, deft.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2019 03:24 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by CatL18
About twitter, people make writers tell what they want to hear.

Naturally they're going to be malleable to different interpretations to promote their own work. But you won't be able to get them to say whatever you want.

But I do agree that it's generally the least reliable source of information.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2019 04:12 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Astner
But you won't be able to get them to say whatever you want.

Oh, you're wrong about that.

Plenty of stubborn fanboys made them say exactly what they wanted.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2019 04:17 PM