KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Help me get into FF Tactics

Help me get into FF Tactics
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Help me get into FF Tactics

I ****ing love the FF games, and I have War of the Lions on PSP, the story is good, but the ****ing permadeath.

I cannot S-T-A-N-D permadeath in games, I haven't completed a Fire Emblem game either yet for this reason (I got far in Blazing Blade & Shadow Dragon, but I can't bring myself to beat them out of the paranoia of losing a goddamn character.)

It feels like it's just the permadeath, but it also feels kinda slow to me. It feels like the characters die so quickly, I'm okay with losing like 1-2 guys that don't matter out of the entire campaign, but I remember just losing 4 guys straight in the last battle I did and giving up on the game.

Should I just level more? I really wanna keep going with it and the other aforementioned games (I mean Shadow Dragon isn't the best, but I love using Marth in Smash and this is how I try to justify using him so often.)

I forgot what the place is called, but Ramza's dad just died and I'm in this new area where I'm hilariously outnumbered.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 19th, 2021 05:24 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Guys plz.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 19th, 2021 06:52 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Klaw
Sigma Male

Haven't played it.

Haven't played any FF in years.

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2021 08:59 PM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Never play any of those games lol.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jul 20th, 2021 01:02 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

It's just so boring. SO BORING.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2021 02:44 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I ****ing love the FF games, and I have War of the Lions on PSP, the story is good, but the ****ing permadeath.

I cannot S-T-A-N-D permadeath in games, I haven't completed a Fire Emblem game either yet for this reason (I got far in Blazing Blade & Shadow Dragon, but I can't bring myself to beat them out of the paranoia of losing a goddamn character.)

It feels like it's just the permadeath, but it also feels kinda slow to me. It feels like the characters die so quickly, I'm okay with losing like 1-2 guys that don't matter out of the entire campaign, but I remember just losing 4 guys straight in the last battle I did and giving up on the game.

Should I just level more? I really wanna keep going with it and the other aforementioned games (I mean Shadow Dragon isn't the best, but I love using Marth in Smash and this is how I try to justify using him so often.)

I forgot what the place is called, but Ramza's dad just died and I'm in this new area where I'm hilariously outnumbered.

What battle are you at right now?

This is one of my top ten games ever. Love the whole FF series, this is a jewel of a game.

I originally played the OG version on PS1, and nearly hit a wall and couldn't progress because I saved my game right before a battle guaranteeing defeat. Just remember to have multiple save files, with at least one or two where you can roam around the world map and fight battles to grind. Even on WotL on iOS while using a walkthrough to get stuff like the materia sword and other secrets I still used like 4-5 just in case.

My last playthrough I didn't use the story characters like [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Agrias, Mustadio, or especially Orlandu because they can turn the last chapter of the game into a series of curb stomp battles.

I just outfitted Ramza and all my generic characters with the squire Fundaments/Guts/Mettle skill to use focus (generic characters + Ramza) and tailwind or eventually shout (Ramza only) to grind their levels and JP. That's my best suggestion: grind about 10-15 levels ahead of what the story enemies' levels are while getting your characters top quality gear + stuff like the winged boots and ribbons and such that have auto-spell cast or status effect nullifying abilities, and you'll be good. I grinded at the beginning of chapter 1 in Mandalia Plains till my guys were all level 99 though, and broke the game smile

Some of the specific battles in FF tactics, if playing through blind, can stop your playthrough hard, like [SPOILER - highlight to read]: when Ramza fights Wiegraf solo in Riovanes Castle. You need to equip the Winged Boots to avoid Wiegraf's earth slash attack, and use yell to increase Ramza's speed to OP levels, affording Ramza multiple turns to Wiegraf's one turn, then use either focus + your attacks or just your attacks to end the fight. Of course, I - and many a gamer new to tactics - did not know this on my first playthrough, and I survived just long enough to use yell and get my speed attribute up to run away and heal until I could use focus to increase my strength attribute and finally defeat Wiegraf after around a baker's dozen times of getting obliterated. The game has a handful of battles like that.

Check out a job guide online if you want to start unlocking the better jobs earlier on in the story to experiment different combinations of using one job with a secondary skill. For an overall website detailing stuff like a walkthrough, job guide, and secrets, check out Caves of Narshe:

https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/fft/

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2021 02:39 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote