KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Dresden Files

The Dresden Files
Started by: Lincoln Rhyme

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lincoln Rhyme
Movie snob

Smile The Dresden Files

Now for all of you who have not read a book from this mystery/horror/fantasy/comedic series,shame on you mad . Let me give the rundown:

The Dresden Files are about a wizard investigator in modern day Chicago. His name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. His investigation cases include: ghouls,werewolves,vampires,ghosts,demons,necromanc
ers,fairy's,trolls,zombies,and
killer unicorns. Basically any supernatural creature,thing, etc. you will likely find in this series. Harry is quite the smart-ass and,he can't keep his opinions to himself,even to the people that could easily kill him for running his mouth. Harry has been known to get his balls in a vice in just about every book of the series because of his comedic smart mouth.

Harry is a consultant of Chicago's Special Investigations unit,who take the "unexplainable" cases and help keep people in the dark about the world of the supernatural. Head of this branch is Lieutenant Karrin Murphy AKA badass *****. She calls in Harry for advice,and usually gives him cases to solve.

So what are you waiting for!? Get started with Storm Front by Jim Butcher. The series currently has 12 books in it.

Last edited by Lincoln Rhyme on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 04:52 AM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 04:44 AM
Lincoln Rhyme is currently offline Click here to Send Lincoln Rhyme a Private Message Find more posts by Lincoln Rhyme Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

A Wizard P.I. who's in the phone book.

honestly? no one has posted in this? read it, it's awesome. beyond words.

(please log in to view the image)

...enough said. go out and read.

HIS force be with you.

Last edited by Jaeh on Sep 11th, 2010 at 04:37 PM

Old Post Sep 11th, 2010 04:31 PM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Scenario
Greater Sci-Fi combatant

Awesome series. Every single character is badass to one degree or another.

Even Butters.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2010 12:27 AM
The Scenario is currently offline Click here to Send The Scenario a Private Message Find more posts by The Scenario Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AfroMan

The 13th book comes out in July! I CAN'T WAIT!

Old Post Feb 18th, 2011 07:18 AM
AfroMan is currently offline Click here to Send AfroMan a Private Message Find more posts by AfroMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Love the book series. Got turned onto them by a friend this summer and I was almost immediately hooked.

I referred two people directly to them along with one person indirectly. They all became as hooked as I am.

Supposedly Ghost Story's first chapter has been leaked onto the net.

I read it, and I can't say if its legit or not only that it does feel like the right style and that if real I am quite interested in how it'll play out based on what happened in the leaked chapter.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2011 06:51 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Getting closer...

Old Post Jun 18th, 2011 12:00 AM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miiih

My friend I have gone through this one. Basically, take traditional hardboiled fiction, give it a mind bending preternatural twist and you have Storm Front, the first book in a new series with the potential to send author Jim Butcher to the top of the gumshoe sub-genre of horror/fantasy fiction.
Harry Dresden, the series' protagonist, is everything that's great about the hardboiled anti-hero, with a twist: He's a wizard trying to make a living working practical magic in a modern world that's foolishly rejected the supernatural in favor of science and technology. Part average guy, part renaissance man, Harry's got a dark side, a wicked sense of humor and a deeply rooted, personal code of honor that drives him to risk everything to fight the supernatural forces preying on his clients, an attitude that puts him at constant, dangerous odds with both the bad guys and the authorities alike.

In Storm Front, when a routine murder investigation turns out to be anything but routine, the police reluctantly turn to Harry for help. But a case that started as a way to pay the rent soon gets complicated for Harry when he's forced to cross paths with the Chicago mob and a mysterious figure known as the Shadowman, drawing Harry into a web of black magic and danger.

Already under the Doom of Damocles (a form of probation placed on him by the White Council who oversee the ethical use of magic in the world of the mundane) Harry himself falls under suspicion and is forced to risk execution to solve the mystery and stop the Shadowman, before the killer takes another victim.

Storm Front is a riveting, action packed roller coaster of a novel, a damn good mystery with compelling characters set in a rich alternate reality universe where anything can happen. There's a little something for just about everyone here from black magic and the Chicago mob to vampire madams, demons and the fey.

I enjoyed this novel immensely and am looking forward to the next in the series.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2011 06:37 AM
miiih is currently offline Click here to Send miiih a Private Message Find more posts by miiih Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

im now getting ready to read Death Masks. I absolutely love these books. I read Storm Front sometime ago and I loved it but I got pre-occupied and had not read any for a long time. Once I heard that a new one is being released I had to pick it up again. So like I said im starting Death Masks now. And I have to say im not just reading these im practically consuming them. I have never read a book series like I am this one. Im trying to catch up before the new one is released. It shouldn't be that hard since im going through each one in a matter of 2-3 days....4 if im really busy lol

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2013 05:01 AM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

If you're talking about Skin Game you needn't worry, it's not coming out till December.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2013 02:31 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If you're talking about Skin Game you needn't worry, it's not coming out till December.
yes indeed I am. I hadn't realised it wasn't until the end of the year though! Im not going to know what to do to actually have to wait to read one lol

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2013 05:34 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I got into the series around when Changes was released--summer of 2010, so Skin Games is the the third book I've had to wait on. The worst part will be right after you finish Cold Days, but after a month or so your withdrawal symptoms should subside.

The good news is that there are (including Skin Games) six more books to go in the main series, and then after that Butcher is writing an "Apocalyptic trilogy" to cap it off.

My brother is also a fan of the series (I introduced them to him) and he was commenting how strange it is to think that he'll be in his mid-thirties when the series ends (assuming there are no delays). Hell, I'll be in my thirties too.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Jun 22nd, 2013 at 07:03 PM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2013 06:59 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

lol I got into it because I watched the show and I enjoyed it. I saw the "based on the novels" line and wanted to try them. The books (as is with most books) are much better then the show imo. Im pretty much done with Death Masks and am moving on to blood rites but since I have so much time to catch up i'll probably slow down a bit......I say that as if im not dieing to read the next lol.

I won't know what to do after its all over lol. I read the first in the Codex of Alera but I really couldn't get into it so I doubt I wil pick that series up.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2013 04:53 PM
Omega Vision

Yeah, I've never looked at the show because just from reading the synopses of the few episodes they produced it sounds greatly inferior to the novels.

Codex Alera...yeah, the first two books kind of suck if you're comparing them to the Dresden Files, and they never really get as good as the DF, but books 3 and 4 are pretty good. 5 as well, but I felt like the quality began to drop toward the end.

Blood Rites is actually one of my least favorite of the series, but it's not bad. Starting with Dead Beat the series really starts to reach its potential.

To me, all the books are good, but the best ones are Grave Peril, Dead Beat, White Night, Small Favor, Turncoat, and Changes while the least awesome are Stormfront, Summer Knight, Bloodrites, Proven Guilty, and Ghost Story.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2013 07:27 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

Yeah the show is so absolutely different then the books its as if they didn't even consider what was in the books. I like it as far as the novelty of introducing me to the books.

Like I said im trying to take it easy so I have less time to wait but it only will do so much good lol Im half way through Proven Guilty now. Dead Beat was really good! It gave me a sort of love for Butters! lol

Old Post Jul 11th, 2013 10:12 PM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Yeah the show is so absolutely different then the books its as if they didn't even consider what was in the books. I like it as far as the novelty of introducing me to the books.

Like I said im trying to take it easy so I have less time to wait but it only will do so much good lol Im half way through Proven Guilty now. Dead Beat was really good! It gave me a sort of love for Butters! lol

The good news then is that Butters becomes a regular in the latest books. He becomes Harry's doctor, more or less.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2013 12:49 AM
Omega Vision

Butcher reading the first few chapters of Skin Game:

Old Post Sep 6th, 2013 01:08 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

Well I gotta say this is some good stuff!

Old Post Sep 7th, 2013 09:46 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I just finished reading the current set of books out. Finished Cold Days last night it was awesome. I've been enjoying this series a lot of fun.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 30th, 2013 12:25 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Newjak
I just finished reading the current set of books out. Finished Cold Days last night it was awesome. I've been enjoying this series a lot of fun.
How long did they last for you?

I've gotten half a dozen people onto the series, and some of them have finished the entire series in under a week.

I paced myself, and read up to Changes over a course of about three months after discovering the series.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2013 12:31 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Omega Vision
How long did they last for you?

I've gotten half a dozen people onto the series, and some of them have finished the entire series in under a week.

I paced myself, and read up to Changes over a course of about three months after discovering the series.
I read them over the course of 3 months as well. A friend of mine had the entire series and wanted to get me hooked on it so he had someone to talk with him about it.

It's often better to read slower in my opinion helps digest stuff better.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 30th, 2013 12:49 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote