KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Is it worth playing a game if all of it's story has been spoiled?

Is it worth playing a game if all of it's story has been spoiled?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Is it worth playing a game if all of it's story has been spoiled?

I have personally been heavily spoiled when it comes to certain games, Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Shadow of the Colossus (in both story and how to beat certain bosses.)

Would you say that there is even a point to playing story-driven games if you've never played them but have already seen the entirety of the story?

Let's say for example: Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger, if you've never played them but already know the entirety of the story, every twist, turn, and sidequest through stuff like Youtube, Gaming Magazines, etc, would you say they're worth playing at that point?

I feel this is wayyyy different then someone who's beaten the game and decided to play it again, as you've already gotten through the game at that point.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 10:34 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Honestly, my vote is yes, they are or can be worth playing.

In the case of FF7, unless you've watched a full, 40-odd hour lets play of the game, you're not going to see everything. You're not going to get all the little character interactions and see the plot unfold the way the characters do. Sure, you might know what's coming, but it's the getting there that's interesting. Plus there are other things to appreciate in games like that. FF7 has a combat system a lot of people really like, and a fantastic musical score that accompanies your gameplay.

I'll give another example. A "divisive" game like Last of Us 2. I was, like a lot of people, spoiled before the game came out. Now, I didn't much care because at the time I had, iirc, little desire to play it. But I eventually did play it and while I still think the story and characters are largely shite, I do like things like the gameplay, the world design and such.

I do think the question is a relative one, but for me the answer is yes. Play the game, form your own opinion on it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 12:21 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It depends on the game.

Last of Us is a good example. You might not like the story but the rest of the game is very well made and fun to play.

But a Telltale game for example, if you know the story, there probably isn't a reason to play it.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 12:46 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

This is a stupid question. Is a book or movie not worth reading/watching if you've been spoiled? Of course not. Any halfway decent story is about the experience and not merely what comes next.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 01:40 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
This is a stupid question. Is a book or movie not worth reading/watching if you've been spoiled? Of course not. Any halfway decent story is about the experience and not merely what comes next.
I mean, it still depends, would you still watch Citizen Kane if you knew Rosebud was a sled? I can't imagine many who would, it's a great movie, but that's the big twist and it would ruin a lot of the movie for you.

How can you honestly say reading a book online or irl is different then experiencing them? It's not, not really.

With video games it's an interactive medium, making a lot more detrimental if anything, and they take a lot longer to get through then movies and even books 99.9% of the time. So if the big pay-off of the game is "this person did this", or "that person did that".

This is more about "journey vs destination". But some games ARE the destination, having an ending ruined sucks.

Like Shadow of the Colossus, most of the fun is the gratification you get from learning how the bosses work on your own. I remember the instant feeling of shame I had after I looked up how to beat a certain Colossi. I ruined it for myself, and it ****ing sucked, especially once I realized how easy it was to beat said Colossi.

But I do agree, these shouldn't stop you outright from playing or even beating the game. It does remove majority of what could've been a magical first-time experience though.

In this day and age it's almost impossible to avoid spoilers though. Imagine trying to play Final Fantasy VII for the first time in 2021, lmao. Everyone knows who the villain is.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 03:37 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Absolutely not. Story is all jrpg's have, no one really likes their shitty gameplay.

Western style rpg's like Skyrim are so timeless because its all about the gameplay itself, no one gives a shit about the story.

The gameplay is as dynamic and engaging as jrpg's are monotonous grinds.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 03:45 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I mean, it still depends, would you still watch Citizen Kane if you knew Rosebud was a sled? I can't imagine many who would, it's a great movie, but that's the big twist and it would ruin a lot of the movie for you.

Yes. And anyone who says differently wouldn't enjoy Citizen Kane in the first place. FYI, when I did watch Kane I already knew the twist.

How can you honestly say reading a book online or irl is different then experiencing them? It's not, not really.

Where the hell did I say that?

Like Shadow of the Colossus, most of the fun is the gratification you get from learning how the bosses work on your own. I remember the instant feeling of shame I had after I looked up how to beat a certain Colossi. I ruined it for myself, and it ****ing sucked, especially once I realized how easy it was to beat said Colossi.

Now you're moving goal posts. Your original post was about story driven games. Obviously, puzzles no longer work once the solution is known.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 03:45 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Citizen Kane is a bad example. People do not watch Citizen Kane repeatedly because of the twist ending.

A better example would be The Sixth Sense.....it's a good movie but the twist is the main reason why it was so popular....people wouldn't talk about it if the twist wasn't one of the best during that decade.

I think games are slightly different than other media......you can still enjoy the game if you enjoy the gameplay. Books are all about the story...movies can be about the story and the cinematics.....games is about story but more importantly, the gameplay.

LIke I know how Mass Effect ending...but I still want to play the Remastered version. I know how Dead Space ends...but the gameplay keeps from coming back.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 04:50 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I won't touch the remaster after playing the 360 version, its pointless after having it spoiled.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 04:58 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Yes. And anyone who says differently wouldn't enjoy Citizen Kane in the first place. FYI, when I did watch Kane I already knew the twist.

Where the hell did I say that?

Now you're moving goal posts. Your original post was about story driven games. Obviously, puzzles no longer work once the solution is known.
Idk why I brought up Citizen Kane, I'm tired, lol. As mentioned Sixth Sense was a wayyy better example but meh, I still enjoyed it a lot on repeat viewings.

I figured since you brought up books as an example, that's what you meant. The only way to spoil a book is to skip ahead.

Yeah, you right.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 06:30 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Depends entirely on the person.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 07:42 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I figured since you brought up books as an example, that's what you meant. The only way to spoil a book is to skip ahead.

Huh? Of course not. You can be told spoilers, read spoilers online, etc... I've had tons of books spoiled, sometimes intentionally sometimes not.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 08:56 PM
Arachnid1

This

Though in the case of a game, the "experience" is entirely dependent on the gameplay if you already know the entire story. If it's got shit gameplay, and you already watched every cutscene, no point IMO.

Originally posted by cdtm
Absolutely not. Story is all jrpg's have, no one really likes their shitty gameplay.

Western style rpg's like Skyrim are so timeless because its all about the gameplay itself, no one gives a shit about the story.

Fuk no lol. You've got that backwards.

Most jRPGs have shitty cookie cutter anime type stories, with anime tropey @ss characters. I'm 100% there for the badass turn based combat (for those that have them, anyways). The depth jRPGs offer in this category is ridiculous.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Apr 2nd, 2021 at 09:08 PM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 09:05 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Re: Is it worth playing a game if all of it's story has been spoiled?

I have personally been heavily spoiled when it comes to certain games, Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Shadow of the Colossus (in both story and how to beat certain bosses.)

Would you say that there is even a point to playing story-driven games if you've never played them but have already seen the entirety of the story?

Let's say for example: Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger, if you've never played them but already know the entirety of the story, every twist, turn, and sidequest through stuff like Youtube, Gaming Magazines, etc, would you say they're worth playing at that point?

I feel this is wayyyy different then someone who's beaten the game and decided to play it again, as you've already gotten through the game at that point.

Anyway, your thoughts?

For all those games, yes. They're all classics that should be played by everyone who likes video games simply because of their historical significance (and because they're outstanding).

Like, everyone knows the ending to Citizen Kane, but it's still a movie that should be seen by anyone into film because it's important and a classic.

Knowing the beats of the story is not the same as knowing the story.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 09:30 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Gameplay? Skyrim? Come on.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 07:16 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by -Pr-

I mean what I said. stick out tongue

But you mean the mechanics. Yeah, those suck.

The immersion though. The way you can just ignore the main story and do **** all, and always find something.

Not that challenging either, unless you want it to be. Which sometimes, you just don't. Actually trying at Skyrim or Doom or whatever can be more excitement then you're in the mood for.

You can watch a movie, but maybe you're not really in the mood even for that. That's where Skyrim style gameplay comes in, you can just dick around and enjoy yourself however you want.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 07:26 PM
ares834

Originally posted by -Pr-

Yes. Gameplay. Gameplay refers to more than just combat, but also exploration and quest design.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 07:28 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Which is generally the draw of Skyrim. The combat is OK...I always enjoyed the exploration and finding interesting things in the world.

That's why I especially enjoy Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Same type of exploration but I actually enjoy the combat and gear/weapons.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 08:14 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I mean what I said. stick out tongue

But you mean the mechanics. Yeah, those suck.

The immersion though. The way you can just ignore the main story and do **** all, and always find something.

Not that challenging either, unless you want it to be. Which sometimes, you just don't. Actually trying at Skyrim or Doom or whatever can be more excitement then you're in the mood for.

You can watch a movie, but maybe you're not really in the mood even for that. That's where Skyrim style gameplay comes in, you can just dick around and enjoy yourself however you want.

And I disagree, so, there. Hmph.

Yes. Gameplay. Gameplay refers to more than just combat, but also exploration and quest design.

I get that. I just don't consider most of Skyrim's gameplay to be that exceptional. I mean, the world is great, and there's lots of little things to find and all that, but I don't rate the gameplay as a whole to be on the level he's saying it is.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 08:33 PM
Arachnid1

So it's got one of the three? Skyrim's quest design (fetch quests and dungeons you clear out for loot complete with shitty writing for both story and dialogue) and combat are both terrible.

Still a great game, but for me it's only because of the atmosphere, immersion, exploration, and mods.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 12:22 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote