KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Dead Island vs Dead Island Riptide

Which zombie survival game did you prefer between the two?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Dead Island was better 2 66.67%
The sequel Dead Island Riptide was better 1 33.33%
Neither, both games sucked 0 0%
The same, it's just too close to call 0 0%
Total: 3 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dead Island vs Dead Island Riptide
Started by: eThneoLgrRnae

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dead Island vs Dead Island Riptide

Which zombie survival game did you like better between the two of them and why?

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 11:48 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Dead Island is better, it had way more personality, the setting was better, there weren't dumb-ass base defense sections, it had better easter eggs (Jason Voorhees), and I wasn't happy with some of the removed upgrades from Riptide.

I even enjoyed the Ryder campaign, however short it was. Also c'mon, the opening of Dead Island is Iconic:

Riptide does have the more interesting zombie types, but that doesn't mean I can look over all of Riptide's flaws.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 12:25 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Interesting. I disagree with some of what you said though.

I like the setting just as much in Riptide as the one in the original game. Also, the ability to drive boats was very cool.

Personality? What, you mean of the characters or what? You had the same four original characters that you had in the first game plus a new guy you could use, and could even import your levelled-up character from DI over to Riptide (which I did with Purna in my only playthru of Riptide so far which I haven't quite finished yet).

I absolutely loved the base defense missions. Plenty of gory combat and quite challenging too.

Riptide also added a lot of new stuff as well. Besides the boat thing, I love the new ability to target enemies from elevated positions and kill them by jumping on them, for one. I also like how Riptide did away with the handling stat and instead just incorporated it into the DPS stat of weapons.

The Dead Zone missions were something else the first game didn't have and those are really fun as well. Seems like there are also more collectibles in Riptide.

As you mentioned there are also several new zombie types in Riptide; some of them are a pain in the butt fighting when other zombies are around.... like the screamer, for instance. Anytime I catch a glimpse of those I always sneak away and try to snipe it from a distance with a sniper rifle . Did the first game even have sniper rifles? I don't remember it having them (and I've played thru it twice) or stun guns, or harpoon rifles, or stun bombs/stun grenades, or sonic grenades/mines (those are probably my favorite), or poison mines/grenades, etc.... ?

They've also added some new weapon mod blueprints as well in Riptide.

One thing that would really piss me off in the first game is how modded and rare/unique/ledgendary items would sometimes just mysteriously disappear from my inventory. It'd usually happen after I'd pay tons of money to upgrade a weapon and then attach a cool mod to it. I'd make the item and then after leaving the work bench my hand would appear to be holding an invisible weapon. I'd go in inventory to check and the item I just made wasn't there. I have never experienced this major glitch in Riptide yet.

Yeah, the opening scene of Dead Island was awesome and I'll never forget it. Agree with you there but I don't think that's a good enough reason to choose DI over DIR, but that's just my opinion.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 01:08 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why didn't you vote on poll, Jmanghan?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 01:12 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I just think Riptide improved on Dead Island in so many ways. The first game had more "flaws" as you put it, imo. Though I still liked it.

The way it stands right now I'm leaning towards Riptide but I'll hold off on my vote till after I finish my current and so far only playthru of it.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 01:27 PM
cdtm

A lot of reviews complain Riptide has less variety in areas. Just a flooded jungle and one other area..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 02:27 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Those reviews are shit. The "flooded jungle" has a beach area as well though it is not as large as the beach in Dead Island. Even other parts of the "flooded jungle" have large areas that are not actually flooded.

There is also a large tunnel area you have to travel thru (on foot) in order to reach the city of Henderson which is also where the military base is located and the Old Cinema theater.

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 02:41 PM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 02:33 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

And like I said. Riptide has actual boats that you can traverse the swamps or whatever in. First game had only cars/trucks. People can downplay that if they like but that is one of my favorite things about Riptide that DI didn't have.

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 02:38 PM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 02:36 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I usually find that user reviews of games are far more spot on of how I feel about a game than critic reviews are. Same thing goes for movies/films.

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 02:43 PM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 02:38 PM
cdtm

Mostly heard those complaints from Reddit users, who I think were only parrotiing critics.

They used to say traffic checking made Burnout Revenge easier then 3 too, and that turned out to be a total load (The tracks in general are way more complex and difficult to navigate, and the ability to slam cars half a mile ahead from behind makes you complacent for the f'n big rigs they trap you with and can't budge)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2021 02:54 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm pretty much finished now with my so far only playthru of Riptide.

Defeated final boss last night and then went back and picked up all the collectibles I was missing for the "Hoarder" silver trophy. Still need to do a few quests in order to get the gold trophy "Achiever" before I activate the final cutscene and end the game but I think I can go ahead and vote now.

Doubt the final cutscene is gonna make me change my mind about which game I prefer. As much as I like Dead Island I have to give my vote to Riptide for mostly the reasons I've already mentioned above.

Riptide basically has everything the first game has but with a bunch of new stuff. Yes, I wish the beach area would've been much bigger and it is a little annoying not being able to enter a vehicle from the left side and then move over to driver's seat as you could do in DI but those are pretty minor flaws, imo.

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jun 24th, 2021 at 03:03 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2021 02:54 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Really enjoyed the first one. Can't believe it's been over a decade since it came out. Haven't played Riptide and probably won't but really looking forward to the new one.

They're actually one of the few first person games I can play and enjoy. (The others are the Far Cry games)Usually Can't stand first person games.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 06:53 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I actually tend to favor 1st person over 3rd person. Though I like it best when the game lets you switch back and forth at will. Like in Fallout games and Skyrim, for example. In combat I usually always stick to 1st person because 3rd person is too clunky, imo.

But I love looking at my character when he's walking around towns. 3rd person view is also better for peeking around corners.

You should really play Riptide though... it is a nice continuation of the story in first game. I just finished playing it for the first time yesterday. Imported my Purna character over from DI.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 08:14 PM
cdtm

Depemds on the game. First person is more immersive in my opinion. And generally easier to maneuver, but that also depends on the game.

Like Burnout, using a first person view actually makes it much harder to judge distances and avoid obstacles. In that case the third person view gives you a way judge when you want to skim paint on another car without crashing into it.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 08:43 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Both are garbage

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 08:46 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Using a bow in 3rd person in Skyrim sucks. It's why I rarely try using one when I'm on a horse.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 08:46 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

quote: (post)
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
I actually tend to favor 1st person over 3rd person. Though I like it best when the game lets you switch back and forth at will. Like in Fallout games and Skyrim, for example. In combat I usually always stick to 1st person because 3rd person is too clunky, imo.

But I love looking at my character when he's walking around towns. 3rd person view is also better for peeking around corners.

You should really play Riptide though... it is a nice continuation of the story in first game. I just finished playing it for the first time yesterday. Imported my Purna character over from DI.

I'll see if I can pick it cheap. Been meaning to fire up my old 360 anyway.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 08:49 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Both are garbage
L4D is garbage, Dead Island is wayyy funner.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 08:57 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Both are garbage

Vote please.

There is a "both games suck" option on the poll.

You hated the combat? Story, perhaps?

Personally, I loved the combat. I also loved the weapon crafting options. Story was decent enough too, imo. Graphics were average I guess for that time period.

Overall I really liked the game. Still liked Riptide better though.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 09:03 PM
cdtm

Both are garbage

But not as garbage as Doom Eternal amiright?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2021 09:15 PM