KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Metroid Prime 4

Metroid Prime 4
Started by: Demonic Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Demonic Phoenix

Metroid Prime 4

I haven't played any of the Metroid or M.Prime games, but I plan on getting the Switch at some point, so will keep an eye on this.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2017 08:37 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

thumb up Will eventually get a Switch because of this alone (and Mario Odyssey). The initial Prime trilogy you'll eventually be able to buy digitally on the Switch though like with any of their other older games.

Almost missed it at first but there's also apparently an official Metroid II remake on the 3DS, so they're forgiven for taking down the recent fan-made one. But yeah, this series when it first came back strong like this during the early to mid 2000's was one of the biggest things that redefined gaming for me at the time, or at least in regard to action platformers I guess, just like Megaman did for Capcom's fanbase before they squandered it. Same with how Super Metroid was the first game introduced to me on the SNES when I first had the system which came with it.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2017 09:14 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Welp Nintendo pretty much won E3 with this announcement along with the Pokemon for the Switch announcement.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2017 10:41 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

But it's just a title screen!

And Retro is not even doing it. Maybe I'm just getting old but for the last couple of years companies have been getting skewered if they released a trailer like this but Nintendo....nah, that doesn't count.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 12:00 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Apparently one of the main people behind the Prime trilogy is doing this along with a new team, so Retro must still be working on something else, whether it's another Donkey Kong Country or something but whatever pleases those other fans. Their lack of activity on social media or anything is somewhat concerning though.

I don't necessarily give Nintendo a pass for just announcing Prime 4 without showing like a trailer, but just knowing it exists now makes me happy enough after the very long hiatus the series has had. Just seeing the logo along with hearing the background music feels better to me already than seeing minutes or more of trailers they had for Federation Force. This is expected to be a return to form rather than more spinoff crap, so that's reason enough to be at least a bit excited.

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:58 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 12:52 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
But it's just a title screen!

And Retro is not even doing it. Maybe I'm just getting old but for the last couple of years companies have been getting skewered if they released a trailer like this but Nintendo....nah, that doesn't count.

Doesn't really matter. Just letting us know that it's in development is huge. Especially this year when all the other conferences have been pretty bland and predictable. Like, if this was 2015 when the FF7 remake and Shenmue 3 got announced, then yeah it wouldn't have been as big a deal, this year, it's the biggest surprise of the show.

Plus, I think the rest of the show was good. Mario looks great, Yoshi looks cool, Kirby too. Even without this they'd probably still have had the most interesting showing. MS's was garbage and Sony's was just showing games we've already seen before, with the exception of SotC.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 01:57 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I guess I rather see the industry go in the way of showcasing games that are coming out in the next year. Something tangible. I don't like companies releasing trailers that just have a name and go "hey....we are making a game". All other publishers can do that but don't.

Showing a trailer like this is a cheap trick. It would of been better if they opened up with a trailer showcasing what the game might actually look like next year. They showed nothing and I don't think that's right. If this was any other company 99% of the circlejerk would be criticizing people for it.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 02:32 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I think it kind of depends on how it's treated by the company in question during the presentation and what other games are being shown. Like, in this case, this was just kinda thrown in the middle of their presentation, it wasn't treated as the big finale or anything. There was no build up, just basically "Hey we're making a new Metroid Prime game". I think in that case it's alright. Plus they showed a bunch of other games that are coming out within the next year, so in that context I don't have a problem with it.

There's definitely an argument to be made about starting the hype train for a game that is still years away too early, though. That kind of happened with FF7 remake. Announced it when it was still years away, got people excited, and then don't really give much info on it during the following years. Whether that's the case with the new Metroid Prime game, though, time will tell.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 02:37 AM
ares834

I don't see a problem with it either. Plenty of games only show a CGI trailer and few people complain about that.

Anyway, I definitely think Nintendo had the strongest showing this year and it's less because of this announcement and more because of Mario Odyssey. That game looks fantastic and best yet is only a few months away.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 03:29 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

It does. I can't wait for that game. I'm really impressed that Nintendo is actually releasing a Mario game the same year as Zelda. Don't know if that's ever happened before.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 04:00 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yeah... For me it'll be like the best Mario since the first Galaxy game if it's up to snuff which it looks like it is, while for some others it'll be the best since Mario Sunshine. Granted, I'll still wait sometime to get a Switch for now, but Odyssey will be one of the first things I pick up on it. Mario turning into a ****ing T-Rex? Everything to be gained from this, haha.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 04:09 AM
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Cant wait

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 04:20 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

As long as there isn't too much focus on scanning things like the previous games.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 04:34 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Is Retro Studios doing this one or someone else?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 06:43 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

The Metroid Prime 4 announcement being so minimal gets a pass from me because it was like releasing a pressure valve. The Metroid fandom was in agony, they hadn't seen Samus in years, and Federation Force threatened to kill the series entirely.

Letting that fester for another year would have been cruel.
Originally posted by Kazenji
As long as there isn't too much focus on scanning things like the previous games.
You just lost your right to an opinion, scan visor was the shit.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 07:17 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I think maybe what he meant was not having to use it as much to activate things or something. I don't know, but scan visor was just one of those things I easily got accustomed to being OCD about using like detective vision in Batman Arkham and those kind of examples. What I liked most about scan visor though aside from telling creature data and things was how it told the game's story through the background lore, rather than just cutscene after cutscene that explains everything for you. Other game series that are more lore heavy tell their story that way too, though it's usually through collectables you have to find it seems, whereas scan visor is just more convenient in that sense.

Even if it was initially planned years back, Federation Force reeked of an obvious cashgrab to me because they knew Metroid was still dying and just wanted to make a quick buck off a cheap spinoff because they knew the IP was in demand. "**** it, let's give them something quick!"

Spinoffs themselves are fine if a series is still active, but giving one to us five or six years after Other M and nothing else isn't how you do it. The apologists who argued FF was better than getting nothing can shove it up their ass too. I wish FF, the RE Umbrella Corps of the series had stayed in development hell if anything and would've been much easier to just wait for another main series game to come, which thankfully it has now. This along with Samus Returns on 3DS has restored much faith in Nintendo for me.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 07:42 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Damn, ran out of edit time, but was gonna add that ironically, it's similar to how my faith in DC movies recently got restored with Wonder Woman. Go girl powah!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 08:00 PM
Demonic Phoenix

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
thumb up Will eventually get a Switch because of this alone (and Mario Odyssey). The initial Prime trilogy you'll eventually be able to buy digitally on the Switch though like with any of their other older games.

Almost missed it at first but there's also apparently an official Metroid II remake on the 3DS, so they're forgiven for taking down the recent fan-made one. But yeah, this series when it first came back strong like this during the early to mid 2000's was one of the biggest things that redefined gaming for me at the time, or at least in regard to action platformers I guess, just like Megaman did for Capcom's fanbase before they squandered it. Same with how Super Metroid was the first game introduced to me on the SNES when I first had the system which came with it.

Nice. I'll have to check them out in the future.

I saw the Mario game demo. Was impressed. That and BotW will probably be enough for me to buy the console once the price drops.

MP4 won't be coming out for a few years though.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Jun 15th, 2017 12:19 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Nice. I'll have to check them out in the future.

I saw the Mario game demo. Was impressed. That and BotW will probably be enough for me to buy the console once the price drops.

MP4 won't be coming out for a few years though.

Yeah. Apparently Nintendo's waiting a bit before they add the virtual console to the Switch (the thing they've used for every system since the Wii where they put out most of their older games and stuff through digital purchases), but by the time you're able to get a Switch, the Prime trilogy and things will have already been put on up there, and so you'll be able to be brought up to speed before diving into MP4. I had re-bought the Prime trilogy digitally on the Wii U since it was only like 20 bucks, so it'll likely be something similar for the Switch.

Yeah. thumb up Not sure when the price will drop (Nintendo very seldom likes to price drop things sadly, especially hardware), but for me it's a matter of finding the right time to get it, and when they're not continually out of stock and selling out. But yeah, I can wait a year or longer to get it, even with Mario Odyssey around the corner, and if I have to wait longer enough to just get and start Odyssey and MP4 around the same time when I have the system, then dammit, so be it.

p.s. Just to share this out there...

Old Post Jun 17th, 2017 11:23 PM
Demonic Phoenix

but by the time you're able to get a Switch, the Prime trilogy and things will have already been put on up there, and so you'll be able to be brought up to speed before diving into MP4. I had re-bought the Prime trilogy digitally on the Wii U since it was only like 20 bucks, so it'll likely be something similar for the Switch.

Noice. Do they get graphical overhauls or are they ports?

Yeah. thumb up Not sure when the price will drop (Nintendo very seldom likes to price drop things sadly, especially hardware), but for me it's a matter of finding the right time to get it, and when they're not continually out of stock and selling out.

Seriously, the price might never drop? It's only been a few months since it has been out, so I wasn't expecting anything for a year or two, but no price drops sucks.

You could try getting a refurbished or traded one in a worst case scenario.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 08:35 PM