KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Splinter Cell (Remake)

Splinter Cell (Remake)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Splinter Cell (Remake)

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/arti...ubisoft-toronto

It's confirmed! Finally, some 3rd Ech action. Please don't destroy this franchise.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Dec 15th, 2021 at 06:48 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 06:38 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It will be interesting to see where they take it.

I would up for a open-world take on Splinter Cell. Not full blown Far Cry, GTA kind of thing but a smallish open world like Metroid Exodus.

Like a small city where you can explore and etc. I think it could be neat.

Though...100% needs a series of dedicated single-player missions like all the other Splinter Cell games.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 07:34 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I want new Splinter Cell, but tbh I'm genuinely worried about what modern ubisoft might give us.

And that's without even knowing it's very likely that Ironside isn't coming back. Given his age I mean.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 11:49 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The last guy who play Sam was OK....and it was a good game.

I'm not worried because if it sucks, I just wont buy it. They own the rights so either there is a game or no game so I'm not going to worry if its going to come out bad or not.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 12:52 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I really enjoyed Blacklist. I can't recommend it enough even without Ironside. But it came out 8 years ago. We're overdue.

I'm worried because if it sucks, I don't want to wait another poxy 8 years lol.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 01:20 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I get that point of view on games like GTA, Halo and etc....We know unless everything shits the bed, those companies will make another one. Just look at Infinite after people displeasure of Halo 5.

But with Splinter Cell.....I feel like its a bit different. I honestly believe they had no intention to bring the franchise back but fans made it happen (and with Ubisoft being in pretty bad shape with scandals and etc)...

They are making it, I hope its great but if it sucks well...the game wouldn't even exist in the first place.

I see it as...getting a cheap vacation (like Cuba), the rooms suck, the food sucks, the drinks suck....but its better than ****ing working and its sunny and if I had the choice to spend the money again, I wouldn't but at least I spent a week on a beach.

EDIT: The difference if the game sucks...well I won't buy it....

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 01:56 PM
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
I get that point of view on games like GTA, Halo and etc....We know unless everything shits the bed, those companies will make another one. Just look at Infinite after people displeasure of Halo 5.

But with Splinter Cell.....I feel like its a bit different. I honestly believe they had no intention to bring the franchise back but fans made it happen (and with Ubisoft being in pretty bad shape with scandals and etc)...

They are making it, I hope its great but if it sucks well...the game wouldn't even exist in the first place.

I see it as...getting a cheap vacation (like Cuba), the rooms suck, the food sucks, the drinks suck....but its better than ****ing working and its sunny and if I had the choice to spend the money again, I wouldn't but at least I spent a week on a beach.

The thing is, stealth has kind of become old hat. Assassins Creed, Dishonored, GTA San Andreas, Thief, heck even Transformers Fall of Cybertron had stealth segments.

Metal Gear got around it by adding objectives and unique mechanics. And fans still didn't like Metal Gear V.

How can Splinter Cell make a comeback after everyone got in on the act? Do they go back to the basics, and risk being called a relic? Or something novel, which is always a major risk to get right?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 02:42 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Stealth is not old hat. It's been around for a very long time and it will always continue to be a good gameplay mechanic.

It seems Splinter Cell is not going to be open world so it will probably play very similar to previous games. And the funny is.....because open world games (stealth based or not) are so prevalent, a dedicated stealth game with linear missions might feel more fresh than you expect.

Though I think it would be an interesting opportunity to have Splinter Cell in semi-open world setting...kind of like Mafia 2.

I'm thinking like Sam Fisher in a Berlin type city during the height of the cold war...linear mission structure but the city is there for you to explore and do a few things....using the open world structure to complete tasks that open up the new mission...like trailing people and etc.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 02:57 PM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by -Pr-
I want new Splinter Cell, but tbh I'm genuinely worried about what modern ubisoft might give us.

And that's without even knowing it's very likely that Ironside isn't coming back. Given his age I mean.
They had Ironside return for both the last two Ghost Recon games, so I don't see why he wouldn't return for this.

Originally posted by cdtm
The thing is, stealth has kind of become old hat.
Lol @ thinking an entire genre is old hat. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stealth is not old hat. It's been around for a very long time and it will always continue to be a good gameplay mechanic.

It seems Splinter Cell is not going to be open world so it will probably play very similar to previous games. And the funny is.....because open world games (stealth based or not) are so prevalent, a dedicated stealth game with linear missions might feel more fresh than you expect.

Though I think it would be an interesting opportunity to have Splinter Cell in semi-open world setting...kind of like Mafia 2.

I'm thinking like Sam Fisher in a Berlin type city during the height of the cold war...linear mission structure but the city is there for you to explore and do a few things....using the open world structure to complete tasks that open up the new mission...like trailing people and etc.
According to Tom Henderson (super reliable leaker), the open world SC is still a thing too. This is probably just to pacify the rabids like me. Jokes on them.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Dec 17th, 2021 at 06:33 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 06:30 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

If open-world like Far Cry, Ghost Recon and Assassins Creed wouldn't suit the series. Ghost Recon Wildlands was like that...but that made sense to me.

Splinter Cell less so...but a small map that revolves around a singular city could work....and doesn't mean that missions cannot take place in various regions around the world. Every Splinter Cell story generally revolves around Sam getting on a plane, doing mission briefings in cutscene format and then landing in some far out location. Hell, Blacklist literally had the plane as your base of ops.

So I can see Splinter Cell taking place in a city....but important mission take place in some other locations. Far Cry New Dawn had this mechanic and it was great.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2021 07:04 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Originally posted by cdtm
The thing is, stealth has kind of become old hat. Assassins Creed, Dishonored, GTA San Andreas, Thief, heck even Transformers Fall of Cybertron had stealth segments.

Metal Gear got around it by adding objectives and unique mechanics. And fans still didn't like Metal Gear V.

How can Splinter Cell make a comeback after everyone got in on the act? Do they go back to the basics, and risk being called a relic? Or something novel, which is always a major risk to get right?

Hitman 3 was one of the best games of the last year. GTFO with that shit.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
They had Ironside return for both the last two Ghost Recon games, so I don't see why he wouldn't return for this.

Lol @ thinking an entire genre is old hat. roll eyes (sarcastic)

According to Tom Henderson (super reliable leaker), the open world SC is still a thing too. This is probably just to pacify the rabids like me. Jokes on them.

I'd heard about the Ghost Recon thing. Honestly though, there's a big difference between that and a fully voiced game script. That and if this is a remake of sorts, I expect them not to bring him back anyway. I mean, I would prefer he come back, I just don't expect it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 19th, 2021 05:03 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Is this a reboot?
Or still part of original series?

Eventually Ironside will not be around...

Old Post Dec 19th, 2021 05:53 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Is this a reboot?
Or still part of original series?

Eventually Ironside will not be around...

The producer said it's a remake of the original.

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/tom...med-by-ubisoft/

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 19th, 2021 07:50 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

For some odd reason, I completely missed the title and that it was a remake.
Honestly, I have very little interest in a remake for the first game...

It's definitely a fun game and I recently played the title...but I don't know, when I think Splinter Cell, I think Chaos Theory.

I'm actually disappointed now...because I want something new.....And I usually like remakes.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2021 07:55 PM