KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Story or Gameplay?

Well?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Story 0 0%
Gameplay 4 100.00%
Total: 4 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Story or Gameplay?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Story or Gameplay?

Which matters to you more?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2022 02:02 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Both....

Great story can mask bad gameplay....but good gameplay can mask a shit story (which it usually does).

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2022 02:28 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Both are equally important to me.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2022 09:14 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Depends on the game.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2022 10:42 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Gameplay. Many of the greatest games have almost no or a bad story. The reverse is just not true. If you want a good story you’re better off reading a book or movie. Even many of the supposed greatest gaming stories are merely on par with an average book.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2022 05:48 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I disagree with the idea that good gaming stories are average stories in other mediums.

That said, yeah, I would also choose good gameplay were I forced to pick one.

Catherine is a really great example. I thought the story and social simulator were pretty neat. I absolutely hated the puzzle system though, and it was a core feature of the game. The nightmare sequences centered almost entirely around this puzzle battle game, and I couldn't get myself to enjoy it at all. Fortunately, the developers included a Skip function if you play in Safe mode. It allows you to skip the levels, and focus on the social and narrative aspects of the game.

Without the Skip feature, I genuinely don't think I would have kept playing.

I've never really had that experience in reverse though. Even if I hate the story, I'll continue playing if I enjoy the gameplay.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 23rd, 2022 at 08:32 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2022 08:18 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Both can carry a game, with a slight edge to gameplay.

What constitutes a story you retards hate in a video game though? Because plenty of games have minimal or no story and are great because of gameplay. I'd argue that your Catherine example is more along those lines, a game where the gameplay doesn't appeal to you but you can skip it so functionally, just like a game with basically no story but great gameplay like Dead Cells, there is no gameplay. Not in any real sense.

I'd be interested in hearing what constitutes a gaming story you "hate", not just one that barely exists or you just don't care about.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2022 02:20 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dante158
The Soul Stealer

Both I guess

Like being said, there's some games that has a bad story and there's a game that has a bad gameplay. If we combine both Story and Gameplay, it would be a perfect game (at least in my own opinon tho)

Old Post Feb 24th, 2022 09:26 AM
Dante158 is currently offline Click here to Send Dante158 a Private Message Find more posts by Dante158 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Both can carry a game, with a slight edge to gameplay.

What constitutes a story you retards hate in a video game though? Because plenty of games have minimal or no story and are great because of gameplay. I'd argue that your Catherine example is more along those lines, a game where the gameplay doesn't appeal to you but you can skip it so functionally, just like a game with basically no story but great gameplay like Dead Cells, there is no gameplay. Not in any real sense.

I'd be interested in hearing what constitutes a gaming story you "hate", not just one that barely exists or you just don't care about.

There's certainly room for nuance here, true. With the Full Body expansion, the Catherine devs provided a solution for the polarizing gameplay of the original game. In that sense, you could safely ignore the puzzles segments. My focus was on how the gameplay impacts the experience though, and the Catherine gameplay was enough to stop me from playing the game originally. Yes, they eventually gave gamers a way around it, but it's still an example of unenjoyable gameplay rendering a game unplayable.

The stories I hate question is a bit complicated. I've never hated a story so much that I burn my copy or troll the sub-Reddit for a particular game, but there are narratives I dislike. The problem is, it's much easier to tune out a bad story once you realize you dislike it. You stop investing energy into it early on, so this gives the impression that it's simple apathy rather than "hate."

To simplify, there's games where I dislike the story as much as I disliked Catherine's puzzles. Admittedly, I'm probably somewhat uncommon -- I play a lot of B-level trash games, so I might run into dumber stories than the average gamer. Onechanbara Z2: Chaos is a recent example I guess. Or the entire Neptunia franchise (Nep Nep!). I may be being unfair to Neptunia though, as it definitely has its charm. I'm more annoyed with specific moments in the series I guess.

I could honestly throw several fighting games in there though. Or Shadowverse. Or Revue Starlight. Or Epic Conquest 1 & 2.

Games I play because they're fun to play, but I'd burn the stories alive if I could. Some of them have cartoon/anime spinoffs that I definitely won't be watching. I couldn't really bear just engaging with their stories on their own.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 25th, 2022 at 02:38 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 02:23 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I'll add a side note: I'm not saying any particular story or gameplay type is objectively bad or good.

I'm just saying that gameplay that is unenjoyable for me is a deal breaker. I can get past a story I dislike if the game is fun to play though. Ideally, you'd have both, but I'd pick gameplay if I had to choose.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 25th, 2022 at 03:03 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 02:52 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Gameplay and story are both overrated. The only thing that matters is the quality of CGI cutscenes and a studio's twitter game.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 06:05 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

I can forgive frustrating gameplay mechanics if the story is excellent. 3 of the best stories, RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima and The Witcher III all had some infuriating mechanics in some form or another but are all phenomenal games.

Other games have great stories and solid mechanics but still aren't great games for other reasons...the last 3 Assassins Creed games as an example.

Then you get games that have truly tremendous stories AND gameplay but get slated for entirely different aspects such as The Last of Us part 2.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 05:38 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by BackFire
Gameplay and story are both overrated. The only thing that matters is the quality of CGI cutscenes and a studio's twitter game.

It is funny, but these things do have a fair bit of impact.

I can't lie, I always take massive breaks from Honkai Impact and start to think I'm done with the game.

Then they drop a new CGI fight scene, and I'm right back in.

And there are folks coming to League of Legends purely because they watched Arcane.

Last edited by StyleTime on Mar 8th, 2022 at 05:56 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2022 05:53 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah, marketing is a powerful tool. The ability of a studio to get the hype machine rolling for their new release is definitely something not to overlook.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2022 12:47 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Gameplay has the edge but but can carry a game. For example, my top three games of all time personally are Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2, and Bloodborne. RE4 is almost completely carried by gameplay, as is Bloodborne. Silent Hill 2, on the other hand, is the greatest story ever told in gaming (though the gameplay set pieces are also fantastic). I love them all for different reasons.

You also have the Telltale games, which rely completely on story. The first Walking Dead even won GOTY for it. There's also the first Last of Us, which has pretty archaic gameplay but a great story/storytelling to carry it to GOTY.

If I was forced to pick one at gunpoint though, gameplay.

PWNT

Old Post Mar 12th, 2022 02:38 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by ares834
Gameplay. Many of the greatest games have almost no or a bad story. The reverse is just not true. If you want a good story you’re better off reading a book or movie. Even many of the supposed greatest gaming stories are merely on par with an average book.
I disagree with your last sentence. You're greatly overestimating literature as a medium.

As for the thread, gameplay is more important to me.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Mar 12th, 2022 08:44 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote