KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Tool

Tool
Started by: BackFire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (46): « First ... « 43 44 [45] 46 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

I’m so stoked after reading that article.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2019 04:16 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, it helped me temper my expecations a bit. I know to expect some weirdness.

But it sounds like there should also be plenty of great riffage that we've come to expect from Tool.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2019 11:58 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
So we seem to have a track listing and initial first-listen reviews...

Fear Inoculum A Track By Track Review

1. Fear Inoculum
2. Pneuma
3. Litanie contre la Peur
4. Invincible
5. Legion Inoculant
6. Descending
7. Culling Voices
8. Chocolate Chip Trip
9. 7empest
10. Mockingbeat

Another review I read made "7empest" sound like "Rosetta Stoned" on steroids. It's 20 minutes long. I'm pretty psyched for that.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2019 12:10 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

So this leaked, the main 7 songs, anyway. I hope to still buy it on Friday. Hopefully Target will have it in store (though their online pre-orders are sold out just like Amazon). So after listening to most of the songs several times on very good speakers (it made for a great first-listening experience!) here are my initial reactions...

1. Fear Inoculum (10:21)

- This has grown on me a good bit and does seem to compliment the other tracks well now that I've heard most of the album.

2. Pneuma (11:53)

- It's hard to describe this one, but it's really good. It feels a little like Eulogy meets Schism or something to me. I liked it a lot the first listen and it continues to get better and better. Obviously about "breath" or "spirit" as Pneuma indicates both.

3. Invincible (12:44)

- F#ck, the studio version of this is soooooo good after hearing the live YouTube versions several times. I love the transitions in this, it takes several left turns and changes so much and it works so well. Great vocal melody from Maynard. This is a killer new Tool track in every way, shape, and form.

4. Descending (13:38)

- Alright, to be honest, I find the first 4 or 5 minutes of this song quite boring. Don't know if that'll ever change for me or not. But I love the rest of it. Once it kicks in it's f#cking phenomenal. The guitar finale is just orgasmic. So good.

5. Cullling Voices (10:05)

- Another one that's hard to describe, but it's sort of mellow and groovy with creative gradual builds of tension and great climaxes. Love this one.

6. Chocolate Chip Trip (4:48)

- This one to me is like the shorter, faster sequel to "Merkaba" from Salival, which I like a lot. It's Danny Carey going to town on top of a cool rhythm setting the pace. It feels very Melvins inspired, even with the title.

7. 7empest (15:44)

This one is going to take many listens to digest and I look forward to it growing on me because it's amazing. This is the "Rosetta Stoned" or "Third Eye" of this album. It's so good. The guitar tones and changes on this are just amazing. I was grinning like a school girl when I listened to this for the first time at high volume on great speakers. It has Meshuggah-esque breakdowns and killer guitar work, and it goes without saying that Danny Carey continues to pull out the chops.

big grin

Ultimately I think it's great and am not disappointed. In fact, with some of the amazing transitions and changes the songs take I can almost see how it took 13 years to shape these monster songs into what they are. I look forward to the songs growing on me more. I also look forward to hearing the other 3 bonus tracks on the 30th (although I'm not expecting much from them, probably more weirdness).

What a day: I get home from beach vacation and get to enjoy the new Tool! big grin big grin

Old Post Aug 27th, 2019 01:39 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I knew it! Maynard IS a god! (see attached) laughing out loud

But in all seriousness the new album is really, really good. I highly recommend it. Not that I don't have minor gripes, cause I do, but they're minor and expected with Tool. The musicianship on this record doesn't disappoint and the songs are brilliant.

Oh, the lyrics are printed in the packaging! Something I never thought Tool would ever do. It always annoyed the shit out of me everyone just guessing what the hell Maynard is saying. Not on this album. It's about time.

Attachment: maynard is a god (sized).jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Aug 31st, 2019 06:24 PM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

This album is amazing. It’s not what I expected from them, but this is the side of Tool that I’ve always enjoyed most. I don’t mind that there are no screams and that Maynard has taken a step back from the fray; this arrangement shows Tool at their most contemplative and nature.

I’m still digesting the entirety of the thing, but my standout tracks have to be Invincible and Pnuema.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2019 02:31 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

"Invincible" and "Pnuema" are probably my favorite tracks also.

But "Descending" and "7empest" and undeniably mind-bending as well.

I really like "Culling Voices" a lot, but I think it could have been cut down from 10 minutes to 8 or 9 pretty easily without really losing much.

"Litanie contra la Peur" is such a great seque track, it's minimalist and trippy. "Legion Inoculant" seems a bit like unnecessarily filler to me.

And "Mockingbeat" sounds like somebody scratching with bird sounds, so that's awesome. laughing out loud

Overall Tool did not disappoint. It's stellar work.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2019 10:15 PM
LordGod
The One

This album is honestly crap. I even tried listening to it while high, and it was still just terrible.

I can't believe it took them over a decade to make this. Buyer beware. thumb down

Old Post Sep 5th, 2019 04:19 PM
LordGod is currently offline Click here to Send LordGod a Private Message Find more posts by LordGod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by LordGod
This album is honestly crap. I even tried listening to it while high, and it was still just terrible.

I can't believe it took them over a decade to make this. Buyer beware. thumb down

You’re crap. Couldn’t even get creation just right.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 08:12 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You shouldn't put crack in your pipe, God. Shame on you.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2019 12:19 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This is pretty much gold. Taylor Swift fans don't know how to process Taylor Swift being dethroned from the number 1 spot on the charts.. laughing out loud

Taylor Swift's New Album Dethroned From #1 Spot By TOOL, Baffling Her Younger Fans

And Maynard posted an amusing meme about it (see attached)...

Attachment: maynard thanos.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Sep 8th, 2019 01:53 PM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 8th, 2019 10:41 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I love the new material. And I don't see myself getting sick of it anytime soon if ever, but...

Danny Carey Says TOOL Have "Tons of Material" For Next Album; Itching To Get Back In The Studio

thumb up

Old Post Sep 19th, 2019 01:52 PM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ax3l
meatwad says: Tool is da shiz niz

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 11:44 PM
NemeBro

This, but unironically. It is one of the most boring records I've ever heard. I listened to Lateralus recently and the difference is stark. Fear Inoculum blows.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 11:54 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Deano
who over rates them? they are not well known mainstream

This post didn’t age well.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 05:54 AM
Blight
Less than Newbie

It's... eh, it's alright. I still wish they would go back to the heavier root. I'm kind of tired of the bloviating mess of snooze inducing longform riffs. I need that rawness of Undertow back. Lateralus is the peak of where they're going to get in the ethereal spaciness they seem to strive for these days.

-_-

Old Post Oct 11th, 2019 12:58 AM
Blight is currently offline Click here to Send Blight a Private Message Find more posts by Blight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Still one of my favorite Tool songs...

Old Post Nov 11th, 2022 08:04 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tool, so pretentious smile

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2022 05:41 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

One of the many reasons Maynard James Keenan is awesome.. Lol

https://consequence-net.cdn.ampproj...ckville-fest%2F

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 23rd, 2023 09:52 AM