KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » What's the best Sci Fi film ever made?

best science fiction movie?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
star wars 88 67.69%
2001: a space odissety 23 17.69%
Blade runner 19 14.62%
Total: 130 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What's the best Sci Fi film ever made?
Started by: Tex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 14 15 [16]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bretfromhope

1. Terminator 2
2. Oblivion (Tom Cruise)
3. Ex-Machina (Does it count as Sci-Fi?)
4. Predator

If these aren't the best Sci-Fi movies ever made, I don't know which ones are. Incredible acting and scenery. Boom!

Old Post Jul 6th, 2020 11:40 PM
Bretfromhope is currently offline Click here to Send Bretfromhope a Private Message Find more posts by Bretfromhope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Boom! NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Old Post Jul 8th, 2020 10:02 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

This thread's been around so long, I don't know if I'm repeating myself. In any event...

It's not just the best sci fi film ever, but one of the best in film overall:
2001: a space odyssey. Visually, musically, conceptually. It's long, but doesn't feel long when you first see it.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):
War of the Worlds (1953)
Forbidden Planet
Terminator 2
The Matrix
Aliens 2

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 08:42 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

THE FIFTH ELEMENT

Aye, though it stands on the shoulders of giants, it doth be de best yes. Enough Sci to be Fi, but w. dat 20 minutes into de few-cha vibe dat maketh it relatable, w. a cast dat had not one weak link; ‘‘twas quotable and notable w action right up to de Jackson and made w. the funny honey.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 09:02 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship
This thread's been around so long, I don't know if I'm repeating myself. In any event...

It's not just the best sci fi film ever, but one of the best in film overall:
2001: a space odyssey. Visually, musically, conceptually. It's long, but doesn't feel long when you first see it.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):
War of the Worlds (1953)
Forbidden Planet
Terminator 2
The Matrix
Aliens 2
Im going to repeat myself,

GATTACA
The original Rollerball
The original Planet of the Apes
The original Day the Earth Stood Still
The Original this Island Earth
Forbidden Planet
Silent Running
Matrix (not the sequels)
Carpenters The Thing
Terminator
Alien
The Martian

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 09:04 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Im going to repeat myself,

GATTACA
The original Rollerball
The original Planet of the Apes
The original Day the Earth Stood Still
The Original this Island Earth
Forbidden Planet
Silent Running
Matrix (not the sequels)
Carpenters The Thing
Terminator
Alien
The Martian
Loved the originals: Rollerball and Damned Dirty Apes.
And JC's The Thing.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 05:52 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Mindship
Loved the originals: Rollerball and Damned Dirty Apes.
And JC's The Thing.
They were Superb, the sequels you mention in your list are two of the rare sequels/remakes that live up tho great originals

Old Post Jul 15th, 2020 05:40 PM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Children of Men easily. Probably the best film ever made period.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jul 19th, 2020 04:07 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lestov16
it's a very good film, thinking about it, it would be on my list. For me below some of the others but that's a personal preference it is a very good film.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2020 11:42 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by Lestov16

Seriously?

I’m glad you dig it, but that’s a LOT of praise. huh

Old Post Jul 19th, 2020 12:09 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof.Hexavier

Aliens is the best Sci Fi film.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 07:41 PM
Prof.Hexavier is currently offline Click here to Send Prof.Hexavier a Private Message Find more posts by Prof.Hexavier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Argon123

Alien

Old Post Aug 27th, 2020 05:56 PM
Argon123 is currently offline Click here to Send Argon123 a Private Message Find more posts by Argon123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kila.chwil

While both 2001: a space odyssey and Star Wars are visually stunning and musically-inspiring films, 2001 wins. Why?
1. Star Wars is pure fantasy. 2001 was a realistic/could-happen depiction of the future (from 1968's POV).
2. In Star Wars, aliens were a dime-a-dozen (ho-hum). 2001 still depicts the most realistic version of a First Contact--you never even see the aliens, allowing the viewer's imagination to step in.
3. Overall, Star Wars presents as simpler and childlike (Not childish), which no doubt accounts for much of its popularity...it's basically easier to grasp. 2001 requires more intelligence to understand, thus adding to its mystery and realism.
When Star Wars grows up, it'll be 2001 (no offense to SW fans).

Old Post Feb 10th, 2021 02:15 PM
kila.chwil is currently offline Click here to Send kila.chwil a Private Message Find more posts by kila.chwil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Feb 21st, 2021 11:05 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by riv6672
Seriously?

I’m glad you dig it, but that’s a LOT of praise. huh

It IS really good.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:35 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by Bretfromhope
3. Ex-Machina (Does it count as Sci-Fi?)

Of course. Why wouldn't it?

And yes, it's great sci-fi.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2021 01:07 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Galactica Reimagined.

Just a classy series, excellent casting, gender swaps that actually worked, great character writing. Fell apart a bit at the end, but nowhere near Game of Thrones dumpster fire.

Edit: Oops, missed this is only films.

In that case Fifth Element.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 04:58 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ripley
This post is about a book, not a movie. I am just wondering how many people out there are familiar with John Varley's work, especially his Gaia (spelling?) Trilogy. Varleys early novels and short stories were some of most mind blowing stuff I have ever read. I would like to hear from some others what they think about him.
I wonder if this poster is still alive? If they are they are 79 today. Happy Birthday Ripley.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2022 05:35 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I wonder if this poster is still alive? If they are they are 79 today. Happy Birthday Ripley.
I mean 73

Old Post Mar 27th, 2022 05:54 PM
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Def Star wars!!!!!!! (The 3 original movies)

Old Post Apr 19th, 2022 11:24 PM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote