KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » What is Denethor's problem with Faramir?

What is Denethor's problem with Faramir?
Started by: shadowy_blue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kitoky
Starting Anew

quote:
Originally posted by sauron
so his wife had a five year labour..or did she not stop bleeding for five years afterwards....VERY slow blood loss rate the gondorians then?

stick out tonguestick out tongue

O.O holy crap....whew...dang...that's worst then the time of the month...she did it with Boromir too??

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 10:22 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

no i was joking

you said his wife died during birth but faramirs birth and her death are 5 year apart

lol

Im Back happy

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 10:31 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

quote:
Originally posted by sauron
no i was joking

you said his wife died during birth but faramirs birth and her death are 5 year apart

lol

Ohhhh you were kidding! Whew, I thought you were for real, I was gonna faint man....

Ah okie! *after skimming the Appendics*

Finduilus of Dol Amroth loved the sea and she grew weak after she married Denethor II (not because of him or anything) and so after she gave birth to Faramir, she grew extremely weak and died. Certainly the death shocked Denethor. Finduilas had doubtless been his moral support, and without her, he probably had few places to turn.

Perhaps he saw Faramir as responsible for the weakening of his wife, or Faramir reminded his father too acutely of some aspect of Finduilas that he missed dearly?

Faramir was 4 at the time and he was the closest to his mother, but Boromir had the longest memory of her.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 10:39 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Personally I have always thought that Denethor's feelings towards Faramir had several major (and countless minor) reasons:

1. Denethor was brought up in a time and a society in which the value of a man was mostly judged by his abilities as a soldier, his strength and valour in battle. The appendices state that Denethor was not the only one to judge Faramir's courage and valour less than Boromir's and I guess that it's a question of tradition and of the general understanding of the male role and duty in society which in that time of darkness and doubt was the defence of the country. And here is Faramir, a man who not only admits openly that he doesn't delight in fighting and loathes killing but also loves books and music and is in general "gentle in bearing". I guess gentleness in times like those is easily mistaken for weakness and IMO weakness was the one thing Denethor dreaded most, in himself and in those close to him. IMO he lived in the constant fear of failure and to have a son who to many in his time appeared less valiant, less strong and less courageous than was expected of the Steward's son in Denethor's mind came a little too close to failure.

2. Denethor's relationship to his own father, Ecthelion II, was obviously a difficult one. For young Denethor it must have been about the most painful thing in the world to see the one person he so desperately wanted to please, whose love and favour would have meant more to him than anything else (here I find it quite interesting that Denethor's mother is never even mentioned), turn away from him, from his own son, to seek the counsel and the company of a stranger (Thorongil/Aragorn) instead. Maybe that experience is kind of reflected in the way he treats Faramir. Faramir is in a way like Denethor once was, trying to please yet knowing that all he can do will never be enough. Maybe treating Faramir in such a manner Denethor sees the injustice done to him revenged, in some strange, twisted way. Now that he is at last in the position to give and deny love and favour he needs to make someone else feel the pain he has once felt... I don't know...

3. I definitely think that a major reason for Denethor's behaviour towards Faramir is the loss of Finduilas whom after all he loved "in his fashion more than anything else". John Noble IMO has an amazing understanding of how much of a blow the loss of his wife was to Denethor and even though she did not die in childbirth but several years after Faramir's birth I believe that in his heart Denethor still, in some irrational way, holds Faramir responsible for her death, maybe just for the reason that it makes him feel better to be able to blame someone so he can, at least for a time, forget about blaming himself. And Faramir, having inherited Finduilas' gentleness, must be as an ever present reminder of her loss.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 03:20 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Stole my glory

lol

stick out tongue

laughing

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 03:36 AM
shadowy_blue

LOL...big grin

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 03:46 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rianna_d

Yup, shadowy got it all right! poor denethor, his father was always seeking the counsel and the company of Aragorn at that time, it must have been frustrating to him, no wonder why he hated Aragorn. ANd also it's right that when Finduilas gave birth to Faramir she started to get weaker and weaker with every year that passed, and finally, she died, Faramir also looks a lot more like his mother than Boromir, so when Denethor sees him, he's reminded of his beloved wife, and the fact that she is dead as a result to giving birth to him. Faramir is a very good friend of Gandalf and we all know that Gandalf isn't very dear to Denethor, this also bothered Denethor. He must be a little jealous of Gandalf, in the book this is more clear.

It makes me sad

Last edited by rianna_d on Jan 24th, 2004 at 03:47 PM

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 03:37 PM
rianna_d is currently offline Click here to Send rianna_d a Private Message Find more posts by rianna_d Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

I always thought that it because F reminded D of his wife, wher B reminded him of himself when he was younger. but rianna got in there before me...
Boromir would have been a tough act to follow. Faramir is more of a ranger type and i guess he and aragorn would make a good steward/king pair.
but boromir would have made a pretty good steward. and (don't get me wrong, i like faramir) but if faramir had gone with the fellowship and boromir stayed back to fight at Minas Tirith, things may have turned out a little better. but who knows...?

John Noble actually brings the mother resemblence thing up in the actors comentary in the TTT:EE. I really like what he has to say.

the man they simply nicknamed 'oh @#$%' !!!

rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 12:33 AM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

The answers are both (1) and (4) I think I may have choked at the point where Denethor is telling Faramir that he wishes he was dead instead of Boromir embarrasment Uncharacteristic. I very rarely cry in movies!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 04:23 AM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

quote:
Originally posted by Exa
I think it's mainly his friendship with Gandalf and his love for books and music instead of wars that make his father not like him so much; Denethor also didnt like Faramir's calm and always friendly character.
After the death of his wife he also looked for anybody to load his anger and depressiveness on because he could not bear it alone.

A quote from Gandalf when he is admonishing Pippin to be sensible before his first audience with Denethor; "he loved him (Boromir) greatly, too much perhaps, the more so because they were so unlike." He mentioned that in Faramir and Denethor the Numenorean blood is very strongly manifest, though it is very recessive in Boromir. Faramir and Denethor are too similair.

Denethor also derides Faramir as being a "wizards pupil," and on his pyre accuses Gandalf of having continuously conspired to steal Faramir away from him.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 04:27 AM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Hey, I just recalled that Saruman had visited Denethor before. Saruman used to browse Minas Tirith's archives a great deal. That almost certainly began Denethor's distaste for Gandalf. Saruman's hatred of Gandalf is very deep set, going back to the time when he first realised that Gandalf had been entrusted with the Naria. Saruman would be a bad influence on anyone, but Denethor really went wrong after seeing Sauron devil in the Palantir.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 04:34 AM
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

maybe faramir walked in on denathor using the palantir to watch ladies bathing... and so faramirs presense alway embarrases him?

the man they simply nicknamed 'oh @#$%' !!!

rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 06:52 AM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Carth
I'm the main man, punk.

D hates F because F ate the last of the nachos.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 05:39 PM
Carth is currently offline Click here to Send Carth a Private Message Find more posts by Carth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jessica14

I think the answer is much simpler then what F has done to make D hate him. I believe B was simply D’s favored son and that his glimpses into the future showed him that B would more likely take the ring then F and for that reason D mistrusted F and when he sank into madness and grief it turned to hate. At the end it didn’t matter that F was alive D believe they would all die anyway so he wanted to die on his own terms and chose to kill them both rather then suffer at the hands of the enemy. He was mad and a coward but he did love F. His madness made him view F actions as betrayal which I chose to believe he foresaw.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2017 08:24 PM
Jessica14 is currently offline Click here to Send Jessica14 a Private Message Find more posts by Jessica14 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

F does this to D and B does that to G.

The fvck is this algebra?!

Old Post Nov 6th, 2017 08:42 PM
Nuke Nixon is currently offline Click here to Send Nuke Nixon a Private Message Find more posts by Nuke Nixon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote