KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Neo is not supposed to be like Jesus?

Neo is not supposed to be like Jesus?
Started by: lordnikon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

i know for certain we are not overanalyzing this movie, as the brothers themselves have said there are more things than we will probably ever find in these movies. And yes, we know, as i have said, and others have said, multiple times, that there are references, allusion, etc to not only literature, but to most if not all major religions today, and some from ancient times. Also, not everything has one side...many things, even in the movies, have dual or multiple meanings. I'm not being rude, but we have said this before. Thank you for your take, though. it was refreshing to see someone not caught up on 'Jesus' in the movies.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post May 17th, 2004 12:12 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

You made your point well Jedi i will give you that.

"Always remember...your focus determines your reality."

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

To know the truth, you must risk everything.

Old Post May 17th, 2004 09:42 AM
Numo is currently offline Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

If Neo was not supposed to be like Jesus was he supposed to be like Osiris then?

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 12:01 PM
Numo is currently offline Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

well, Kwisatz Haderach, or should i call you Muad'Dib, Neo was a concatenation of many different 'Messiahs'...despite his 'affinity' towards Christ, he is similar to many others, and i'm sure Osiris could be argued for, although i do not remember him being a 'messiah'...kinda thought he was the god of the dead, but i am probably mistaken there...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 03:30 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

quote:
Originally posted by JediHDM
well, Kwisatz Haderach, or should i call you Muad'Dib, Neo was a concatenation of many different 'Messiahs'...despite his 'affinity' towards Christ, he is similar to many others, and i'm sure Osiris could be argued for, although i do not remember him being a 'messiah'...kinda thought he was the god of the dead, but i am probably mistaken there...

Well i was hoping that in calling myself that it would arouse people's curiosity and look into or read Dune and it seems that it has happened, GREAT.

Now the reason why I said Osiris was because he was killed by his twin brother Set. After which his wife Isis found the body and, using magics, managed to have sex with the body so she could later give birth to Horus, (Osiris reincarnated). Who would wage war against Set losing an eye in the processes which he sent to Osiris in teh underworld because he complained of not being able to see down there.

Set discovering this then stole the body, cut it up into 12 pieces and scattered them through time and space. Isis would then look through time and space for each piece of her husband's body and where she found them she would set a temple (or new religion) in it's place.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 12:19 PM
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

Something that I forgot. Set killed Osiris because Set's wife, Nepenthys (twin sister of Isis) tricked Osiris into thinking she was Isis and slept with her, causing her to give birth to Anubis.

Both Isis and Nepenthys searched through space and time to find the various body parts of Osiris.

Now these body parts are said to be reincarnated in various people who become famous religious leaders, with Isis and Nepenthys appearing as mother and mate to the person. Who then help set up a religion after the relgious leader has died.

Example: Jesus, Mary virgin mother, and Mary Magdalene both helped spread the word of his ressurection after he died.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 01:33 PM
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

One last point:
It is said that the last body part of Osiris to be found (or reincarnated would be the phallus) then Osiris would be whole again.

I'm guessing that this was acheived in Neo which was one reason for the sex scene between Neo and Trinity in Reloaded (which is quite unuasal to see someone who basically is a religious figure doing) and also the meaning behind the title 'Final flight of the Osiris'.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2004 12:14 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

The title 'Final Flight of the Osiris' is refering to the last mission the crew of the Osiris completed before being destroyed.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Jun 4th, 2004 10:22 PM
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

quote:
Originally posted by JediHDM
The title 'Final Flight of the Osiris' is refering to the last mission the crew of the Osiris completed before being destroyed.

Jedi, must you always be so linear.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2004 05:06 PM
elfstone91

all three matrix films are very religous
i believe Neo is very much like jesus
especially in the first film Morpheus is very similar to john the baptist
baptising neo by showing him the real world
I don't know who agent smith is like though possibly the devil for the devil was an angel that fell from grace a bit like agent smith

also there are numbers relating to pages in the bible everywhere just look at some of the car registration plates and in the nebercunezer etc

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 04:59 PM
elfstone91 is currently offline Click here to Send elfstone91 a Private Message Find more posts by elfstone91 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

quote:
Originally posted by elfstone91

also there are numbers relating to pages in the bible everywhere just look at some of the car registration plates and in the nebercunezer etc

This I had not noticed before, I shall look for them.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2005 05:53 PM
neo121

neo here in my past if trinity was cancer and a wemon i'd marry here in the dic it says trinity is the union od three in one like a cigarette holder the trinity laughing out loud cool

Old Post Mar 18th, 2005 09:02 PM
neo121 is currently offline Click here to Send neo121 a Private Message Find more posts by neo121 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
neo121

neo here in my past if trinity was cancer and a wemon i'd marry here in the dic it says trinity is the union of three in one like a cigarette holder the trinity neo remaking the matrix

Old Post Mar 18th, 2005 09:06 PM
neo121 is currently offline Click here to Send neo121 a Private Message Find more posts by neo121 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fruits
Regenbogenfarben

what is it that ur trying to say and how come u posted thee same thing in a few threads? please don't, it's kind of aggrivating

Old Post Mar 19th, 2005 02:50 AM
fruits is currently offline Click here to Send fruits a Private Message Find more posts by fruits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marovingin

wow this a really good discussion and i like the fact its about the bible and im really happy about how yall kno so much about it i mean i kno im only 14 but it says in the bible all u need is my word to live for eternity and i aint wantin anyone to go to hell i never want to see that lol i kno thats really corney of me. but o well i guess im jus that corney

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have ever lasting life."
John 3:16(lol yea i have it memerised)

"Everything that has a beginning has an end Neo"

Old Post Mar 31st, 2005 12:03 AM
marovingin is currently offline Click here to Send marovingin a Private Message Find more posts by marovingin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bulletproofvest

The similarities between Neo and Jesus are that Neo and Jesus both died then woke up alive again. They have also got (As some people would say) Super powers. Neo used his powers by believing and Jesus used his powers through god. They where also both well respected. (Neo was respected by the Nebuchadnezzar crew and Jesus was respected by pretty much everyone that has heard of him except for his enemies.) Both there names are also Bible references.
Here are some Dot points.
1. Neo was killed and Resurrected like Jesus
3. He is referred to many times in the movie as a Messiah, and a saviour
4. He gives his life for the lives of all the people (and machines) like Jesus

The differences between Jesus and Neo are there styles of handling things. Jesus liked to handle situations without violence but Neo handled basically all of his problems with violence. (E.G when Neo had to kill Agent Smith, He finished him off with violence, but Jesus never used violence.) Jesus and Neo where also around at different times with different technology and in different ages.

Can you guys post some differences between them?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2011 06:19 AM
Bulletproofvest is currently offline Click here to Send Bulletproofvest a Private Message Find more posts by Bulletproofvest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bulletproofvest

Hey guys can someone reply to this?

The film the Matrix makes people think about what is real and what is not real and also it seems that some of the ideas and themes in the Matrix come from Christianity themes. For example there are similarities between the main character Neo in the movie and Jesus but there are also differences.

The similarities between Neo and Jesus are that Neo and Jesus both died then woke up alive again. They have also got (as some people would say) “Super powers”. Neo used his powers by believing, but Jesus used his powers through god. They were also both well respected. (Neo was respected by the Nebuchadnezzar crew and Jesus was respected by pretty much everyone that has heard of him (except for his enemies) and especially respected by his disciples. Both their names are also Bible references. Neo means (According to Google dictionary): (used as a combining form) recent or new; "`neo' is a combining form in words like `neocolonialism' It also means ‘One’.
Neo is also (Like Jesus) was referred to many times in the movie as a Messiah, and a saviour. He also gives his life for the lives of all the people like Jesus. Neo is able to do ‘cool tricks’ like spoon bending and dodging bullets, that cause others to think he is the ONE and could be seen as miracles, which we know Jesus did miracles as well such as walking on water and sharing a fish and a loaf of bread with many people and helping people who were blind or could not walk to see or walk again which made people believe he was the son of God.

The differences between Jesus and Neo are their styles of handling problems. Jesus sometimes used violence (E.G when he had to cleanse the temple) but most of the time he would just use the tactic of talking his way through things. Neo handled basically all of his problems with violence. E.G when Neo had to kill Agent Smith, he finished him off with violence, but Jesus hardly ever used violence. Jesus and Neo were also around at different times with different technology and in different ages.

A couple of Bible references are how Thomas (Neo’s other name) is one of the 12 Apostles who, according to the New Testament, doubted that Jesus had risen from the dead, until he saw the wounds. Neo also doubts the reality of the Matrix until he actually sees it. As Neo, the character makes miracles: he saves Trinity and even Morpheus, despite the prediction of the Oracle. Also the Ship, named the Nebuchadnezzar, who according to the Bible, he is the one who conquered Judah and Jerusalem.

The Matrix has themes of faith, resurrection and salvation. From the beginning till the end of the movie there are signs that the movie has biblical ideas. The first example of that is Neo; it is anagram for the one, the messiah. For instance, in the beginning of the movie Choi says: “Hallelujah. You’re my saviour, man. My own personal Jesus Christ”. He is the one because he is given the job to free humanity from control. Morpehus appears to be John the Baptist, the guide to Neo, and Trinity stands for three in one such as the father, the son and the Holy Spirit. Zion, the last human city, could be seen as Jerusalem, the holy city. Another character name that has biblical ties is Cypher that would be similar to betrayer Judas. Cypher" sounds similar to "Lucifer". Nebucadnezzar is a king mentioned in the bible who is haunted by bad dreams.

A theme of the Matrix story is that humans need to be saved from the confines of the computer-controlled matrix. Those who discover that the world they take for granted is an illusion then get a kind of "salvation." Christians believe that salvation is necessary because of guilt from sin. In the Matrix, people are controlled by the machines and have no guilt from which they must be saved, they are being controlled because of no fault of their own. They are victims of the computers. Christians believe individuals need salvation because of guilt from their sins – but there is no guilt in the matrix.

Christians put their faith in God. The people trapped in the Matrix must put their faith in themselves in order to gain freedom. The Christian theme of 'resurrection' is similar to that of Neo’s resurrection but not the same. Neo did die and come back to life but the matrix's portrayal of Neo's death and resurrection is not the same as the Christian's understanding of Christ's death and resurrection. The most important point of Christian resurrection is different in the matrix because Neo did not die for other humans like Jesus did. Neo died and transcended the Matrix only for himself. Neo's death and 'resurrection' was only an example to other people and he was not their saviour. Neo did not die for the forgiveness of sins of others and his death did not do anything for the people in the matrix like Jesus’ death did for people here on earth.

I think that the concept of the Matrix is untrue and what we live in now is real. I also believe that there is no other reality other than this one and the Matrix would be impossible. I believe that if I am sitting in my classroom then I am sitting in my classroom because I can see and smell and feel it all. If it were all just an illusion I would not mind anyway and I would just make the most of it the way you do when you are dreaming something when you’re asleep. When you are dreaming your brain thinks you are in that moment and that it is real so you keep dreaming what is going to happen next and you make the most of it. The Matrix includes names and themes familiar to Christianity. The names and themes are probably thought up from Christianity, but are not really the same as the Christian bible’s. The movie is entertaining and has good special effects but it is not a Christian movie.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2011 07:11 AM
Bulletproofvest is currently offline Click here to Send Bulletproofvest a Private Message Find more posts by Bulletproofvest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

nat

Attachment: image.jpg
This has been downloaded 6 time(s).

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jan 9th, 2015 02:59 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote