KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Why Do Disaster Movies Pick On New York

Why Do Disaster Movies Pick On New York
Started by: Drifter101

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Although I thought it was fairly obvious, but how about "Planet of the Apes"...?

(please log in to view the image)

(..and technically, I'd call this a "disaster" movie, just because it was the ruination of the world by human nature)

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 04:30 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
V@LL3jOk!D707

San Francisco is the only major city I'm next to and all the movies I remember that was disatrous is The Core. But I'm positive theres more.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 04:48 AM
V@LL3jOk!D707 is currently offline Click here to Send V@LL3jOk!D707 a Private Message Find more posts by V@LL3jOk!D707 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drifter101
Woodstock '69"

not enough to beat the beatenings NY have taken in numerous films, films barley touch the west coast, only occasionally they do films just bout west coast disaster rest of time their in disasters in films in the same film NY is blown up too

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 09:25 PM
Drifter101 is currently offline Click here to Send Drifter101 a Private Message Find more posts by Drifter101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

More to the point, why is it always the Chrysler Building that get's totalled first? Don't you Yanks like it? Or is it something to do with Ford sponsoring movies...??

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 10:54 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Who the hell would pay to see Des Moines destroyed?!? stick out tongue

NYC has lots of glass, people like to see glass break! stick out tongue

Although after 9/11 it might be a while before we see another NYC disaster movie.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 10:58 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drifter101
Woodstock '69"

well the day after tomorrow is destroying NY by some tsunami

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 11:33 PM
Drifter101 is currently offline Click here to Send Drifter101 a Private Message Find more posts by Drifter101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
«§hõnknêss»

I wanna c that but I think that in end of the world movies (how many times has the world ended now??) that like 2 destroy big well know cities coz they are much more fun 2 c get destroyed

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: You see, when we left Jack, marooned on the ship with a cuffed wrist and a hungry kraken, we forgot one very important thing mate-he's Captain Jack Sparrow... savvy?

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 11:57 PM
«§hõnknêss» is currently offline Click here to Send «§hõnknêss» a Private Message Find more posts by «§hõnknêss» Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drifter101
Woodstock '69"

yea but there r so many other major cities to blow up and destroy give NY a long needed break from disaster films

Old Post Apr 24th, 2004 12:03 AM
mardook
Easier said than done!

well be it better than being called the Murder Capitol of America. big grin

Old Post Apr 24th, 2004 04:57 AM
mardook is currently offline Click here to Send mardook a Private Message Find more posts by mardook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Actually, not much of Independance Day takes place in NYC..

Old Post Apr 24th, 2004 05:27 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hypernova

Well, it has many of the most instantly recognisable landmarks in the world!! And it is one of the major trading capital in the world. It is teeming with the American culture and values... and one could say it is the epitome of the west!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2004 05:37 AM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Unfortunately

Old Post Apr 24th, 2004 05:39 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drifter101
Woodstock '69"

but y not some other cities that have land marks

Old Post Apr 24th, 2004 04:05 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

What about Disneyworld/land in Orlando or CA? That would be kind of cool to adults.

I think, though it would traumatize kids for life plus I'm pretty sure Disney would fork over some $$$$ to veto the movie altogether.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2004 08:19 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hypernova

quote:
Originally posted by Drifter101
but y not some other cities that have land marks

Like I said it's instantly recognisable and conjures so much just showing a few of the key sites.. Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building. Even just showing those yellow cabs make people think NY, the Big Apple etc, etc.

Movies have created NY as a Happening City, the City of Dreams etc, etc. Many people want to visit it.

But mainly, I think it's product placement/advertisement, sponsored by the City of New Your for Tourism laughing out loud

Attachment: landmarks_parks.jpg
This has been downloaded 22 time(s).

Old Post Apr 26th, 2004 11:08 AM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drifter101
Woodstock '69"

y not paris or london or chicago, give NY a long diserved rest

Old Post Apr 26th, 2004 06:29 PM
Hypernova

Yeah, why not? stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 27th, 2004 09:12 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

cuz new york is like THE city in the USA.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2004 09:43 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Well, it is home of the UN, so it can be thought of as the capitol of the world.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2004 12:18 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Plus, NY has so many huge buildings in a small area.
LA might be a cooler city to live in, but New York is more of a global city.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2004 12:20 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote