KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Do you prefer the PC or a Gaming system?

PC or Gaming system(PS2,xbox,gamecube)?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
PC 18 56.25%
Gaming system(PS2,xbox,gamecube) 14 43.75%
Total: 32 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Do you prefer the PC or a Gaming system?
Started by: Matrix Overload

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah, and there's several sentance you console folks will be hearing.

Half Life 2 is Awesome!

Doom 3 is awesome!

Far Cry is Awesome!

Happy Dance i agree totally

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 06:11 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

A PC is a clumsy and expensive machine. There’s always some problem when trying to install or actually playing the latest game (well, not always, but many times).

Oops, insufficient memory (we ALL know that one), please reboot your system, low virtual memory, not enough space on hard disk, couldn’t locate 3d-card, not compatible with this and that, please install the latest patch…. Pffff. And then there are the lies on the back of your precious game-box (recommended Pentium III, but we all know you need at least a Pentium IV with twice as much RAM as they require on the back of your box), the clumsy keyboard, RSI…

And all of this costs lots of money !! You need a state of the art PC to play all the new games. Warcraft III runs very smooth on my PC, but I admit Far Cry will be too much for my modest PC.

Playstation 2 or X-Box any time !! The graphics are maybe not as good (though both consoles have games with gorgeous graphics !!), but at least I can play the first three levels of a game while a PC-owner is still trying to install the damn thing.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:54 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I never have any problems installing PC games. All it takes is a small amount of knowledge and a well built PC to run games without trouble.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 01:13 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

PC yes

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 01:54 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Matrix Overload

Yeah, and i dont have to go off and buy myself an xbox or a playstation. i already have pc, i had it before i started doing pc gaming. And you dont have to keep buying there products, like the latest system. You can just upgrade your current pc. and you can still play your old games, unlike gamecube, plus the new games. And internet gaming is soooo much easier on a pc.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 01:32 PM
Matrix Overload is currently offline Click here to Send Matrix Overload a Private Message Find more posts by Matrix Overload Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

My PC is a gaming system. it's peripherials dwarf any of those 3 systems.

And i love playing FPS's on my computer...they always suck on consoles.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 04:37 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Primitive Screwhead
Bullsh*tt!

quote:
Originally posted by BlackHatDefect
PC games *usually*lack story and the characters arn't well developed.Im not sure why that is but I don't like it.

Game systems whoot!

Play any of the following for awhile... all have either excellent storyline development, character development or both:

Any game by Blizzard Entertainment (Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo)
Half Life
American McGee's Alice
Command & Conquer series
Unreal
Master of Orion 2
Syndicate

When it comes to strategy games, there is no subsitute for a decent PC setup. I love my consoles, but it's the above games that keep me coming back and booting up the computer.

Artwork by Cinemaddiction!!!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 05:21 PM
Primitive Screwhead is currently offline Click here to Send Primitive Screwhead a Private Message Find more posts by Primitive Screwhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I like both a lot, actually...I love my PS2 and play it all the time, and several of the games I play the most I can't get a PC version of. Plus it's very convinient...if I'm going to a friend's house and we're going to play something on PS2 I can just pack it up in about two minutes and have it set back up in the same amount of time. The one big drawback I find with consoles is the controllers...they aren't very long lasting. I'll admit that I've broken my PS2 controller. And you're very limited it what you can do with them because there's only so many buttons.

Also, up until very recently we had a crap computer that couldn't run anything...but now that I've got two brand new computers in my house, I'll probably be getting and playing more PC games. Besides which, I can get for PC a bunch of the games that I don't have because I don't have Xbox or Gamecube.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 05:22 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Primitive Screwhead #1
Play any of the following for awhile... all have either excellent storyline development, character development or both:

Any game by Blizzard Entertainment (Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo)
Half Life
American McGee's Alice
Command & Conquer series
Unreal
Master of Orion 2
Syndicate

When it comes to strategy games, there is no subsitute for a decent PC setup. I love my consoles, but it's the above games that keep me coming back and booting up the computer.

Master of Orion II???

Sorry, I cannot possibly agree there. Galactic Conquest, ancient race, strategy playing... yeah, great game but hardly a dramatic sweeping character based plot.

And C&C is hardly a game where you feel personal connection.

Heck, Syndicate is not a good choice either. It was all style. Don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable style, but it wasn't plot; if anything it was anti-plot. Bullfrog were never big on plots, more on innovative gaming.

Half-Life and Unreal were action games, and had action game plots. Personally exhilarating, but intensly shallow. Which was good- they worked better that way, but they are still not good counters to the point.

The original poster is talking of the huge dramatic sweep of many console RPs and has a point, because the PC tends to go for in-depth game mechanics over such things.

If I was coming up with a counter to the accusation that the PC never does it, though, I would say Baldur's Gate II, or Blade Runner. Then again, the comment was 'usually', so there you go.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 5th, 2004 at 10:11 PM

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 10:08 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Primitive Screwhead
Bullsh*tt!

Sorry, I should have clarified better. I said had either exellent storyline, character development or both. I'll elaborate on what I meant:

MOO2: Character classes were well developed. Storyline was straightforward, but each race played offered distinct traits that made it worth playing time and time again.

C&C: Personally, I thought the whole Kane/Nod/GDI interaction was a decent enough storyline.

Unreal and Half Life both raised the bar for first person shooters and storyline involvement. While they have definitely evolved more since then, I think both did tremendous jobs in incorporating storyline into the FPS genre upon their arrival.

On the whole, I was trying to provide examples of games at the time of their release showing decent storylines and character development in contrast to the console market. I guess in recent times, that trend has changed and BlackHat has a point. But the reason I chose each of these games as examples is for what they offered at the time of their release.

Artwork by Cinemaddiction!!!

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 01:30 PM
Primitive Screwhead is currently offline Click here to Send Primitive Screwhead a Private Message Find more posts by Primitive Screwhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I like both PC and Console. PC is great, but I just play more console games. I much prefer strategy games in PC than in consoles. Other games like Fighting or Sonic for example I'd much prefer them in a console than a PC.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 05:52 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

quote:
Halo 2 is going to be a disapointment. It won't be able to match with Half life 2. The first halo is vastly over rated, teh only reason anyone cares about it is because it's the first really good console FPS that's come along in a long way. It can't hold it's own against other, supperior shooters though.

yes

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 06:17 PM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

quote:
Yeah, and there's several sentance you console folks will be hearing.

Half Life 2 is Awesome!

Doom 3 is awesome!

Far Cry is Awesome!

laughing out loud Exactly!

PC!!! rock

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 06:18 PM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZomBiE_HunTER
To Serve

I would love to get a pc and they cost so MUCH $!! I like consoles more cuz i can jus sit on the couch and chill wit mah friends and play and plus pcs need upgrades alot!!!I cant handle that maybe when I become rich though.And it really depends what kind of game Im playing.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 12:43 AM
ZomBiE_HunTER is currently offline Click here to Send ZomBiE_HunTER a Private Message Find more posts by ZomBiE_HunTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I'm a PC guy Myself,
If you can afford it, a high end PC beats the Hell out of a console in graphics and stuff.
Also, most games are "dumbed down" for Console, because of lack of controls and such. The fact is that you find better shooters on PC.
I can make a solid argument why MOHAA is better than Halo. with out even bringing the goodness that is Call of Duty, Far Cry and many others into the fray.

Consoles have the play and go aspect, but if you go in terms of sheer gaming goodness, you cant beat the PC

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 10:53 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maverick2364
Jedi Master

I do pc, console is good for party games though.

Hey tptman, I play trumpeteek! but I've only played for 7 or 8 years though confused

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 11:24 PM
Maverick2364 is currently offline Click here to Send Maverick2364 a Private Message Find more posts by Maverick2364 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

Strategy PC

Massive FPS PC

Multiplayer in a room with peeps you know and can talk to easily nothing beats console

RP lots of options PC

RP little options Console

Quick fun games Console

In depth PC

Halo 2 will rock
Doom 3 will get repetitive but has awsome graphics
Half Life 2 will have replay value
Far Cry... i'd rather play BF 1942 or vietnam or Unreal

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 02:11 AM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZomBiE_HunTER
To Serve

Consoles are in depth too.and ffps aint so bad on consoles lik Halo2 is going to be good

Last edited by ZomBiE_HunTER on Aug 11th, 2004 at 03:18 AM

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 03:14 AM
ZomBiE_HunTER is currently offline Click here to Send ZomBiE_HunTER a Private Message Find more posts by ZomBiE_HunTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

its 7 years for me, started in 4th grade and now im gonna be in 11th.

FPS are dumbed down on Console, Halo on x-box is good, but halo on PC is almost laughable, there are just so many better shooters.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 12:34 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maverick2364
Jedi Master

lol yeah I counted too, 7. We're the same age. I've got a silver intermediate trumpet, looking to upgrade to back strad.

I tried Halo on PC, it was alright however it just didn't cut it. Microsoft hasn't been doing to well on their more recent programs-at leats they aren't as up-to-par as their competition. I dont like X-box either since it doesnt have the awesome games like gamecube such as Zelda, SSB, and other Nintendo games and PS2 for being able to play dvds and being the main console for several amazing RPG games.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 05:40 PM
Maverick2364 is currently offline Click here to Send Maverick2364 a Private Message Find more posts by Maverick2364 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote