KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Why do people like Halo that much?

Why do people like Halo that much?
Started by: LeAtHerRFace

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Besides Halo, consoles have had other great FPS such as 007 Golden eye, Medal of Honor for PSOne, Perfect Dark for N64, so there have been other great FPS for consoles, it's not like there was crap and then comes an ok game in Halo, Halo is just that much better.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 06:58 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote:
Originally posted by cal31
Halo had some of the best graphics of it's time, had the best AI in a game to date, had the best controls for a console FPS. CS was not the first to do that. The Rainbow Six series did that long before CS. Plus Cs was basically an add on to Half Life.

Wrong. Rainbow Six did not have the quick, action packed tension of CS. It was all strategy and very little action. As I said, CS combined aspects of both strategy FPS's, such as Rainbow Six, and combined the frantic tension of action FPS's.

Also, Halo had the best graphics for a console shooter. But again, if compared to a PC FPS from the same era, it had nothing.

Also, you're right about there being a few good shooters for consoles, but look at how old they all are. They were few and far between, as opposed to the PC, which has numerous great shooters every year that are better then those console shooters.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 08:26 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
greyboy

I think that Halo revolutionized the way FPS games were made...and yet, no one has made a rivaling game yet. Bungie came out with ingenius coop MP which was really the draw for most people, at least initially. After that, the cult following began, master chief became a household name for gamers, and the rest is history.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:27 PM
greyboy is currently offline Click here to Send greyboy a Private Message Find more posts by greyboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

I have Halo on PC and on Xbox. On PC when I run the game with high resolution and high settings on graphics and details....Halo's graphics are actually very impressive.

Halo isn't the best at any one area of FPS gaming...but it's well rounded over all. On the PC version, you can use the Banshee's, you can pick up that big green gun that those huge guys carry, and there's a warthog with a 3 rocket launching turret. That adds to the ghost, normal warthog, and tank quite nicely. There's also a pretty bad ass flame thrower.

Halo on PC is the same game as on console, only it's got a lot more options for multiplayer. And again, hosting your own game is great because you can host a 16 player multiplayer game with a basic cable modem, and get no lag. (atleast i can)

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:09 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Why do people like Halo that much?

quote:
Originally posted by LeAtHerRFace
Its okay as a FPS. It sucks on the pc, but better on the Xbox. Its nothing compared to the other FPS games out there. Battlefield, Farcry, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.

Why don't you take that question and turn it around towards other video game franchises? Why do people like Final Fantasy that much? Why do people like Mario that much? Why do people like Tomb Raider that much?

Another thing, why do people continue to compare Halo to other FPS? I mean what do you want to prove? That FPS console game is not the same as FPS PC game? Wow! that's some new discovery you guys out there are trying to prove. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:19 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

yah, i paid $300 for my X-box, and like $2500 for my PC.

Really fair to compare the capabilites of the two...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:22 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

Re: Re: Why do people like Halo that much?

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
Ok, Halo came out in what....2001?

Doom came out 3 weeks ago, unreal came out this year, Farcry...this year. And Battlefield was like, late last year or something.

On PC, Halo kicks more ass than it does on Xbox....you just need a good enough computer to run it right.

How are you even going to try and compare a left thumbstick to a mouse when it comes to aiming????

Halo's multiplayer online is also much more efficient than most of those titles when it comes to hosting online games.

I spent all last night playing around with their multiplayer. I can host a 16 player game, LAG FREE, while still playing the game. No dedicated server required.

-Doom 3 doesn't have Vehicles.
-FarCry's vehicles SUCK bad.
-Unreal has some cool vehicles, but that game is tooooooo fast for it's own good.
-Battlefield has killer vehicles, but there is the slight down side of it being an old school war game.

1. i have a bad ass comp:

3.2 ghz amd 64
msi k8n neo platinum (250gb nforce chipset)
creative audigy sb 2 platinum pro
5.1 surround sound speakers
sony 17" monitor
logitech mx510 optical mouse
1024mb/1gb ultra low latency pc3200 ddr400
new video card: ati radeon 9800xt
keyboard: doom 3 Zboard
400 enermax ps
windows xp pro
6 extra fans
52x32x52 cdrw, dvdr lite on
seagate 160gb hd 7200rpm

my comps rocks, and halo sucks balls on it. i also tried it on the g5 and it still sucks compared to the other fps. in my opinion its way better on the xbox.
link, i think your one of those ppl who dont like change. otherwise, youd be playing alot better fps games(ex. Ut 2004, Doom 3, Farcry, Battlefield, Call of duty) smile
ut is probably too fast for you either because:
1. junk comp and graphics card etc
2. your too used to playing slow ass fps games(halo)
3. fill in.

Last edited by LeAtHerRFace on Aug 26th, 2004 at 04:58 AM

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 04:55 AM
LeAtHerRFace is currently offline Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

Re: Re: Why do people like Halo that much?

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Why don't you take that question and turn it around towards other video game franchises? Why do people like Final Fantasy that much? Why do people like Mario that much? Why do people like Tomb Raider that much?

Another thing, why do people continue to compare Halo to other FPS? I mean what do you want to prove? That FPS console game is not the same as FPS PC game? Wow! that's some new discovery you guys out there are trying to prove. roll eyes (sarcastic)

whats it to you? roll eyes (sarcastic)

dont post if your gonna b!tch. stay on the topic

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 04:59 AM
LeAtHerRFace is currently offline Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

There's a flame thrower in the PC version of Halo!? What the ****...man, I've been missing out.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 05:13 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Halo's action is awesome. The combat rocks. One bad thing is the crap ass level design. It is soo horrible. The indoor scenes are compleltly identical. Same textures and everything. Luckly the action is good, so it aint that bad. But come on. the level's suck.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 05:23 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kraken
Wraith

quote:
Originally posted by Into the Void
There's a flame thrower in the PC version of Halo!? What the ****...man, I've been missing out.

So have i!

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 05:39 AM
Kraken is currently offline Click here to Send Kraken a Private Message Find more posts by Kraken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

well Im going to aim this statement more toward halo2 as halo 1 is pretty old in terms of technology... I think halo is so good because it takes aim toward multiplayer First person shooter elements from the PC world and gives it to console casual gamers. Such as multi-passenger vehicles, large capture the flag maps to accomodate more than 4 players (which used to be the norm for console fps gamers). Halo basically delivered what console fps lovers didnt have for a long time. I dont think halo1 had the best ai or physics, but I think the graphics were really nice for when it first came out. Halo 2's graphics are nothing short of stunning as they've really taken heavy useage of new bump mapping techniques. I think 2 will be a major success not because of campaign, but because of how much more attention they've paid to multiplayer (which was the obvious thing to do), thus further proving my thought of how they're giving to console gamers something they've never had before. Im definately going to be getting halo 2 smile

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 11:17 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

Re: Re: Re: Why do people like Halo that much?

quote:

3.2 ghz amd 64
sony 17" monitor
400 enermax ps
windows xp pro
6 extra fans
seagate 160gb hd 7200rpm

my comps rocks, and halo sucks balls on it. i also tried it on the g5 and it still sucks compared to the other fps. in my opinion its way better on the xbox.
link, i think your one of those ppl who dont like change. otherwise, youd be playing alot better fps games(ex. Ut 2004, Doom 3, Farcry, Battlefield, Call of duty) smile
3. fill in.

I was just messing around on Halo...i haven't played it in months.

My time has been spent playing 3 of the best FPS out right now, so don't give me that load about not trying something new.

I have FarCry, I have Doom 3, and I beta test CS: Source. All are graphically better than Halo. FarCry and Source have better aiming than Halo.(Doom does not)

I haven't played URT2004, but I own 2k2 and 2k3. They are good games, but not much to my liking. Always fun when company is over...

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 01:36 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
whats it to you? roll eyes (sarcastic)

dont post if your gonna b!tch. stay on the topic

Who's bitchin here? And how I'm not on topic? I clearly asked why do ppl compared a console game to a pc game? From Halo to Doom III? At least answer my try to answer my simple question.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Aug 26th, 2004 at 03:13 PM

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 03:05 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

quote:

3.2 ghz amd 64
sony 17" monitor
400 enermax ps
windows xp pro
6 extra fans
seagate 160gb hd 7200rpm

3. fill in.

I run an extremly similar PC.

Differences being i have
-7 fans
-200 gig harddrive
-2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 w/ Hyperthreading
- 21" monitor
- 550 watt power supply (came with the case)

either you're lying about the specs on your PC, or you're completely full of crap when it comes to your comparison of Halo on PC vs. Halo on console.

Halo is a much much better game on PC than it is on console. A processor that fast, that much gig, and that nice of a graphics card will run any game on the market smoothly. Your biased hatred of Halo shines through all too much.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 03:29 PM
BackFire

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do people like Halo that much?

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Who's bitchin here? And how I'm not on topic? I clearly asked why do ppl compared a console game to a pc game? From Halo to Doom III? At least answer my try to answer my simple question.

Perhaps it's because Halo was originally going to be a PC exclusive title.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 05:59 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

when was Halo release?

when were the other major PC titles that it's being pitted up against released?

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 06:44 PM
BackFire

Well, I pit it against Half Life regularly. That was out in 1998.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 06:59 PM
vaya_the_elf
You know you love elves

Well I like Halo because my friends play it... and we all have it, and its fun to play that game together.. Although so is neverwinter nights smile

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 07:33 PM
vaya_the_elf is currently offline Click here to Send vaya_the_elf a Private Message Find more posts by vaya_the_elf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like the game but it might be spoiled for some because of all the "Best game on X-BOX" talk that goes around but its good none the less and a great game to play with others.

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 07:45 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote