KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars.

Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars.
Started by: Johnlindsey289

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (24): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

By the way, the Star Wars Universe is much bigger and more complex than the LOTR universe... The amount of books and such created is insane compared to only about 25 books for LOTR. erm

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 03:35 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Altar[1stONE]
Lone Wolf

starwars all the way, lotr movie glory died way to fast after rotk won best picture. The legacy of starwars lives throughout the generations and going.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 09:06 AM
Altar[1stONE] is currently offline Click here to Send Altar[1stONE] a Private Message Find more posts by Altar[1stONE] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
.::Levi@than::.

lotr was first a book, sw was first a movie. It's hard to compare. But if you're going to compare lotr movies to sw movies, then sw for sure.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 12:40 PM
.::Levi@than::. is currently offline Click here to Send .::Levi@than::. a Private Message Find more posts by .::Levi@than::. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Johnlindsey289

What about Star Trek vs. Star Wars? can you compare both sci-fi franchises?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 01:19 PM
Johnlindsey289 is currently offline Click here to Send Johnlindsey289 a Private Message Find more posts by Johnlindsey289 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

LOTR all the way, no contest at all, I like SW don't get me wrong there, but the characters in LOTR are way more intresting, more heroic then the once in SW, flying around with spacecrafts and shotin with blasters dosent hold up to the heroic figures and huge battles and the intense story that LOTR has, and I like the univers in LOTR alot more then the SW, Tolkien created languages for each civilasation and all, things that george lucas never would be able to compare with!

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 02:33 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

star wars, its bigger and better

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 02:51 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by MC Mike
By the way, the Star Wars Universe is much bigger and more complex than the LOTR universe... The amount of books and such created is insane compared to only about 25 books for LOTR. erm

But most of that stuff is not originally made by Lucas. Whereas all the books from LOTR are the product of the mind of Tolkien.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 03:11 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

ya alot of the sw saga is fanfiction, or I'm I wrong

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 03:47 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

i dont know i like them both so much...... sad

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 05:06 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

quote:
Originally posted by MC Mike

Really, well Tolkien invented a LANGUAGE to compliment his story and i don't mean afew pissy words and sayings. Also Tolkiens world stretches across far more than just LOTR and The Hobbit. To top it off, he wrote it all with the exception of some additions and edits by his son.

Lucas on the other hand is responsible for Star Wars and thats it, oh and Indiana jones. He had the rough idea for ESB and ROTJ and brought screenwriters for the movie and a writer for the novelisations. As for the other books in the series, well none of them are by Lucas and he doesn't even regard them as cannon.

In that sense, LOTR wins hands down; however the OT is legend and beyond comparison. So if you were to ask me whats better, The Prequels or LOTR, it'd have to be LOTR but then, you could put alot of stuff up against the new Star Wars movies and find the still find the prequels lacking.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 06:40 PM
Prozak is currently offline Click here to Send Prozak a Private Message Find more posts by Prozak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

of course, but the original three sw beat lord of the rings no problem

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 07:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D00m
Smackrobiotic

This is easy, Star Wars.

This is Hip-Hop: A Tribe Called Quest / Big Daddy Kane / De La Soul / Common Sense / Organized Konfusion / Eric B. & Rakim / Marley Marl / The Pharcyde / Public Enemy / Boogie Down Productions / EPMD / Kool G Rap / Brand Nubian / Grandmaster Flash and The Furious 5 / NWA / Main Source / KMD / Farm Fresh / Wu-Tang / Gang Starr / Cormega / Freestyle Fellowship / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Juice Crew / KRS-One / The Roots / Ultramagnetic MC's / Jungle Brothers / Blackalicious / John Smith / MF Doom / El-P / Supastition / mcenroe / Qwel / Cannibal Ox / Madlib / Company Flow / Black Star / Mr. Lif / Brother Ali / J-Live / O.C. / Count Bass D / I Self Devine

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 07:29 PM
D00m is currently offline Click here to Send D00m a Private Message Find more posts by D00m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

I love both movies, but Star Wars takes it for me, all you have to do is look at how popular the films still are today. I mean the dvds sold almost twice as much as any LOTR dvds did and they are almost 30 yrs. old. The Return of the King really cheapened the end of the trilogy for me. We get to see Eowyn fight the witch king instead of Gandalf, WTF? We get to see Marry's little happy story about trying to be a warrior, nobody cares, they just had nothing in it that made the first two good. It was such an overrated movie because it was the critics darlings and thought LOTR could do no wrong, which the Public ate up.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 08:34 PM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daronisgod
Mesmerized & Hypnotized

LOTR is a billion times better than SW.
LOTR as an entity has been popular for 50 years not just twenty.

quote:
Originally posted by cal31
We get to see Eowyn fight the witch king instead of Gandalf, WTF?

Did you read the wrong book or something?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 08:57 PM
daronisgod is currently offline Click here to Send daronisgod a Private Message Find more posts by daronisgod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

Cal out of the 3 films, ROTK is, IMO, the closest one to the book and the most entertaining. Compare that to say, AOTC, and it's no contest; the new prequels don't come close to being half the film LOTR is. As much as i love star wars, i have to give credit where credit is due.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 09:34 PM
Prozak is currently offline Click here to Send Prozak a Private Message Find more posts by Prozak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fearnix
Piggy

in a film sense the SW films were 1000000000000000000000000 times better than the LOTR.

Hey Pig Piggy Pig Pig Pig

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 09:42 PM
Fearnix is currently offline Click here to Send Fearnix a Private Message Find more posts by Fearnix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by pr1983
of course, but the original three sw beat lord of the rings no problem

I kinda agree with that.as I said earlier,as a trilogy I think Lord of the rings is better because ALL 3 of those movies were good.with Star wars,only A NEW HOPE AND EMPIRE STRIKES BACK were magical great films.Return of the jedi was such a joke and not at all well written like the first two films were.Instead of feeling like a magical movie experience like the first two did,it felt more like a comicbook.so because of that I got to go with Lord of the rings since none of those films were dissapointing.I dont feel there has been a good star wars movie made since Empire Strikes Back.If were just talking about the first two films,I agree that they were 1000000 times better than Lord Of The Rings,but not if you include Return Of the jedi in there.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Sep 24th, 2004 at 10:24 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 10:22 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i think people hate rotj because of the ewoks.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 10:32 PM
cal31
Let's Win Twins

quote:
Originally posted by daronisgod

Yes I did, but he changed a lot of stuff the movies, and in the movie we see the witch king say he's gonna kill Gandalf, but instead of being able to see that fight, we get to see dumb ass Eowyn fight and say" I am no man", thanks for the cheesiest line I've ever heard in a big movie .

Last edited by cal31 on Sep 24th, 2004 at 10:41 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 10:38 PM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

quote:
Originally posted by daronisgod

We aren't talking about the books here, we're talking the movies, and in no way shape or form will the movies be better remembered than Star Wars.Books are a completely different story. The LOTR films wouldn't even have been made if Star Wars hadn't.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2004 10:40 PM