KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: National Treasure

Review: National Treasure
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
rwoonacott

Re: "National Treasure"

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
To new generation relic hunter, Ben Gates (Cage), the only thing more valuable to him than treasure, was erasing his families legacy of failure. He and his partner Ian (Bean) come to the realization that in order to find this lost bounty, they need a map. That map? The Declaration of Independence. Like any heist, when the stakes are raised, it becomes every man for himself. The hunt is on.

Upon leaving the theater, I said "This is what Tomb Raider" should have been like. It was exciting, humorous, very fast paced heist filled fun. No high flying wire work, bad accents, or killer robots. Nic Cage was cunning in his portrayal of a rare character in heist movies. One that isn't looking to benefit from the treasure, but for from rewriting his family's history, with admirable, yet backhanded patriotism. Justin Bartha as Riley played the Disney family friendly comic relief, Diane Kruger was cast as the female equivalent of Gates, except a lot more attractive, all while Sean Bean brought a shady, Boromir-esque presence to the role of Ian.

It was refreshing to see a big job movie that didn't contain the heist movie cliches. Gunplay was minimal, and money wasn't even a motivator. Talk about a rarity in the genre! A truly unique, effective, and involving storyline with a pinch of patriotism and redemption. "National Treasure" is indeed a treasure in its own right, and it's swift 2 hours well spent, IMO.
I personally thought that the movie was great and just about everything you mentioned was right on. I do however would like to add this wouldn’t be a movie to take the kids to see, more of a grownup movie. The adventure was great but there were moments that would be boring to kids under 15.

I use my own words, and not the words of others. If you have a problem that is your problem and not mine so move along.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 04:08 AM
rwoonacott is currently offline Click here to Send rwoonacott a Private Message Find more posts by rwoonacott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

this movie looks so boring

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 04:10 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

Re: Re: "National Treasure"

quote:
Originally posted by rwoonacott
I personally thought that the movie was great and just about everything you mentioned was right on. I do however would like to add this wouldn’t be a movie to take the kids to see, more of a grownup movie. The adventure was great but there were moments that would be boring to kids under 15.

...not true?

What moments do you speak of?

I know loads of under 15-year-olds who have loved this movie...

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 05:51 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by MornGlory
this movie looks so boring

...and "Evil Dead", according to you is just another teen horror, so, based on the replies in this thread, and the money it's generating, you look to be wrong with your assumptions. Again.

Best thing to do is see for yourself.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 04:13 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

i think i gave this movie about... 3 or 3.5 stars out of 5. it wasn't that good nor that bad.

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Dec 5th, 2004 07:14 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

its also number 1 3 weeks in a row now

Old Post Dec 6th, 2004 02:38 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Talk about flying under the radar. That's great, maybe it'll push the DVD a little faster.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2004 02:47 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Mornglory, stop bitching and see the freaking movie, shit, sneak in after seeing another movie, i dont care, dont whinge and complain if you havn't got reasoning to back the argument up.

its only just come out here, so i'm yet to see it, but i like the addition of the pyramid on the one dollar bill, i've always loved the conspiracy theorys attached to that

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Dec 6th, 2004 11:43 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

I cant wait to see it

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Dec 13th, 2004 01:27 AM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COTTON MAN
Restricted

Account Restricted

well go........

I regreat only having 1 life time to waste on games.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2004 08:46 AM
COTTON MAN is currently offline Click here to Send COTTON MAN a Private Message Find more posts by COTTON MAN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
I agree 100% Cinemaddiction!

I also agree 100%.I just saw this movie on christmas eve and it now tops Borne Supremacy and Cellular as my favorite movie of the year.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 08:58 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

You think this movie is better than the Bourne Supremacy? huh

It was good, but not that good. wink

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 09:00 PM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by Kella
I saw National Treasure with my mom, my aunt, and my grandmother...all different generations of my family and every one of us loved this movie! It was awesome! I highly recommend it. Never listen to the movie critics...usually the more they dislike a movie the better it actually is.
My grandma pointed out that there was no gore or sex and there was very little violence and she really liked that about this movie...she also liked that there really was no foul language either...just a couple of slips of the tongue...but she loved that about the movie and it's a movie that makes your mind work and keeps you trying to figure out the clues and overall it was certainly not a waste of the $100 between tickets and snacks that we spent Friday night. big grin

Well said.I could not agree more. smile thumb up

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 09:02 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by MornGlory
how many of these threads are there

especially for a crappy movie..

uh it was hardly a crappy movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 09:05 PM
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

The movie was beyond excellent, it was engaging, had a great story, good actors (Justin Bartha got a little annoying), and action packed!

9.5/10

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 08:17 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gibs_ie

some people seem to be getting a bit carried away with there movie of the year and all!! yes it was ok! ok was it, movies like this are meant to get the audience involved interact with them, by way usually of having them guess clues etc... this film didnt do that, it could have been alot shorter one of those films where u do notice the time im afraid but for the first while i was engaged, but then couldnt wait for the film to finish! gud dvd movie thats it!!!

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 04:28 PM
gibs_ie is currently offline Click here to Send gibs_ie a Private Message Find more posts by gibs_ie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teakwonjoe
Hi how are you?

...can you say strerched plot...good action, but no real good plot, and everytime cage went on one of his raves: it just got stupid, "this connects to this, which connects to this, blah, blah, blah..."

Old Post Jan 9th, 2005 08:54 PM
teakwonjoe is currently offline Click here to Send teakwonjoe a Private Message Find more posts by teakwonjoe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

The plot was finding the treasure trove of legendary relics, with a lot of historically pertainent clues along the way. It's not too hard to follow.... blink

Old Post Jan 9th, 2005 09:03 PM
jinXed by JaNx

This movie was god awful, why are we still talking about a peice of shit wasted film such as this. I have seriously lost a large amount of respect for nicholas cage for taking part in this travesty of a film. Am i the only person left on the planet that realizes Jerry bruckhiemer is nothing more than a the tricklings of blood running down the wall of an over exageratted shotgun suicide. This man has one vision, and anything he is affiliated with has to have the mark of his vision.

I could have downed a bottle of clorox cleaning fluids, shot heroin through both of my eye sockets, slit my wrists, shoved a molotov cocktail up my ass and swallow a flamming sword all the while making up a better story and dialogue for a movie that would be more entertaining and rewarding than national treasure.

1/10

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 12:09 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Maybe the DVD will include this edition?

http://ter.air0day.com/?script=nationaltreasure

laughing

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 12:28 AM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote