KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Fanfiction.net is being hypocritical.

Fanfiction.net is being hypocritical.
Started by: Nightslash

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chilled monkey

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sacred 117
Agreed. What better way to be inspired than by knowing what's possible? I'm an aspiring writer myself, and being a "skilled" writer is by no means an inherent quality.

Like any art, you have to persist like hell to even be able produce anything worthwhile, and fanfiction, for many (preferably the truly faithful and dedicated), is a healthy outlet for one's imagination and skillbuilding. Fanart is a similar avenue, as it requires an exhaustive effort from the artists and encourages them to apply and better themselves at their trade. One wouldn't dismiss that as a "waste of time" (no offense, Omega), so why would we do it with fanfiction?

Sure, I admit that there's an unfortunate frequency of those who would carelessly saturate the art with frivolous wish fulfillment with no real artistic intent, but God forbid we narrow our minds as result and overlook those who actually give a shit about what they're doing.

For the sake of future artists, we need to be able to provide them with constructive perspective; praise them for their strengths and point out their weaknesses so that they may correct them. To add to the earlier comment about how "the best poets 'steal'", these things allow authors/artists to challenge their understanding of works that inspired them to begin with so as to eventually translate what they've learned from it to their own original works. It would be more difficult for the relatively inexperienced to determine these things, would it not?

Thank you.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 12:50 AM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

It's not really a hypocritical thing on FF.Net's side, but rather a lack of attention on the Moderators or Admin's part. Like i don't think it's just one or two guys going through the entire website looking for that sort of stuff. You're friend had the misfortune of just being the one that stuck out and a mod saw it. Again just because one mod enforced the rules of your friend doesn't actually mean that they go through the entire website just to find those kinds of fan works.

I'm sorry if i'm coming across douchey, but there are several things wrong with what your friend did. He/She wrote the fic despite a warning being given as you register and there are other sites where people can write fanfics about whatever. Archive of Our Own comes to mind. maybe there are sites specifically for that series' fanfics IDK. But yeah, is it unfair? yeah, but they aren't really hypocritical. at least i don't see it

Old Post Apr 13th, 2015 03:48 AM
Fated Xtasy is currently offline Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shinobi Popcorn

There are a lot of problems on the site, inconsistent moderation is only one of them. I personally don't like how they outlaw certain styles. What they call "interactive entries" may be annoying, but they're still a form of creative writing (I even had to read a book series in college written as a chat script).

But I've never harmed an onion, so why do they make me cry?

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 03:16 AM
Shinobi Popcorn is currently offline Click here to Send Shinobi Popcorn a Private Message Find more posts by Shinobi Popcorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BeyonderGod

I saw worst moderation.....

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 06:03 PM
BeyonderGod is currently offline Click here to Send BeyonderGod a Private Message Find more posts by BeyonderGod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote