KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » James Bond Series » Timothy Dalton IS James Bond

Timothy Dalton IS James Bond
Started by: lau_timmy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lau_timmy

Timothy Dalton IS James Bond

I believe Timothy Dalton was the best of all possible Bonds, and TLD was the best of all possible Bond movies. He may have only played Bond in 2 films, but there are many reasons that suggest Tim was the best Bond of all.

After getting the role he read all the books, then worked with the filmmakers to make it as true as possible to the spirit of Fleming's Bond. Dalton had that coldblood, ruthless edge, without a trace of humor that complimented the Bond of Flemings books. In fact I'd go as far to say that he's the best portrayal of Fleming's Bond. Plus there was also more emotional imvolvement with the Bond women rather than them being mere sex objects.

Unlike Connery, Moore, and Bosnan you can imagine him killing someone without mercy, and not giving it another thought. Moore was seriously overrated. Moore's Bond didn't take his job seriously. He did not have that 'tougher' side to him, but instead added more humour, wit, sexual suggestion and sarcasm.

Dalton is a very intense, dark and extremely enjoyable Bond. He even did many of his own stunts - and who can forget his classic introduction in TLD when he swings around in high winds to see his fellow agent fall off a mountain! And The Living Daylights is one of the best scripted Bond films.

I don't think Dalton's performance as Bond will ever be matched, it's just a pity after 'Licence To Kill' we did not get to see more of him in the role. I do enjoy Brosnan, but I think I grew up watching his Bond films.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 03:07 AM
lau_timmy is currently offline Click here to Send lau_timmy a Private Message Find more posts by lau_timmy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

I have to agree with you lau, about the parts that he is roughless, mercyless and can kill someone in cold blood as it should be for Bond.

What I do not agree on though, is the amount of humor, because the Bond in the books has this dark sadistical humor and he does treat women as objects, so in that perspective they were wrong in the portrayal.
Tim is on my third spot for best Bond though, behind Connery and Pierce.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 12:12 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Re: Timothy Dalton IS James Bond

. Moore was seriously overrated. Moore's Bond didn't take his job seriously. He did not have that 'tougher' side to him, but instead added more humour, wit, sexual suggestion and sarcasm.

Thats actually why I like Moore the best because I always liked the humor he brought to it and how he was always calm and cool under pressure where Connery seemed to get scared when he was about to die and didnt keep his cool.I do like Connery though and he is my second favorite. I dont like Dalton at all but you make good points and I see where your coming from.I do think he was a better bond than Brosnan though.No question about that.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 08:00 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

but Bond needs to be icecold, no?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 08:21 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Film Noir

I've always been partial to Brosnan, but that may be because I grew up watching his Bond films. Throughout the years I've dabbled in all of the actors who've portrayed 007 (Even George Lazenby...ugh) and I must say the winner would be Pierce.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 11:23 PM
Film Noir is currently offline Click here to Send Film Noir a Private Message Find more posts by Film Noir Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

and why did you pick him?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 12:22 AM
lau_timmy

Timothy Dalton is a better actor than Pierce Brosnan not only because of the usual reasons (he's better looking, he's had more experience, etc.)but also because Timothy can be the villan as well as the hero. I can't picture Pierce as a villan. All of his movies I've seen he's always been the hero. Timothy, on the other hand, is comfortable in both roles.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 11:17 AM
lau_timmy is currently offline Click here to Send lau_timmy a Private Message Find more posts by lau_timmy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

I think Ewan McGregor would be a good bond...

thats ok he can go back to making his normal movies- where he takes his pants off randomly

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 11:18 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

MG, this is not about the new bond stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 11:58 AM
Discos
The Discmeister

I applaud his great performance in the living daylights....but jesus, License to Kill was a bloody joke.

Bond shouldnt be ruthless, he is a lady charmer and a swift cat in the night. None of this carry on he had in license to kill, roger moore, sean connery and yes....even lezenby should have slapped Dolton for his performance.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 01:49 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

but Bond SHOULD be ruthless, he has a licence to kill and needs to take down target that makes you rutheless messed

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 05:23 PM
lau_timmy

I can't understand many people think Timothy Dalton was the weakest Bond. I thought he a brilliant job in the two films he made and is underrated. The problems was, the scripts especially Licence To Kill and also the years when the cold war and AIDS was a serious threat. In my opinion it unfair that he get a chance to do one more Bond. I know that United Artists didn't want Dalton after losing money on Licence to Kill. Well Roger Moore second Bond film (A Man With The Golden Gun) loss alot of money, but still had the chance to do 5 more Bond Films.

Last edited by lau_timmy on Feb 5th, 2005 at 03:26 AM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2005 03:19 AM
yerssot

they made Bond too humorous and couldn't handle the °180 turn into making him hard again

Old Post Feb 5th, 2005 07:05 PM
lau_timmy

He had a contract for one more film but didn't want to continue. He was simply a different Bond. He replaced Moore who was a joker and came with a deadly and serious Bond that the (US) audiences weren't ready for. In the last years people have come to see him as an excellent Bond - the true fans know that his Bond was probably closest to Fleming's creation. Fleming would have loved Dalton's portrayal of Bond.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 09:57 AM
NoFate007

I thought he was without a doubt the best, 2nd being Brosnan, then Connery, Moore, then Lazenby. Dalton WAS Bond, as you stated. Perfect for it.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 12:01 PM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Redeemer

While Sean Connery will always be Bond to me, I thought Dalton did a pretty good job of it in the two films he made. After the Connery through Moore era, LTK is my favourite Bond film with TND in second spot.

LTK is a good stand alone film in it's own right, so to speak. It's played pretty straight with few comedy touches unlike the worst of the Moore films. Benicio Del Torro is one of the better Bondian henchmen, a really nasty piece of work who should have gotten a more spectacular demise in the Anthony Zerbe/Robert Davi mould in my opinion.

Peter Gabriel - SLEDGEHAMMER.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 06:34 PM
The Redeemer is currently offline Click here to Send The Redeemer a Private Message Find more posts by The Redeemer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

I think that most fans today will indeed agree that Dalton did it excellent, he finally stopped the silliness Moore got in, it was more of a comedy with him than a spy-movie
Dalton made it a spythriller again with topics as defection and revenge, much better than things like going into space messed

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 10:33 PM
Mr Parker

again Brosnan with the exception of George Lazenby is the worst bond ever.horrible choice for the role.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 10:56 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

why do you think that?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 10:58 PM
lau_timmy

I think the Brosnan Bond films have shown Dalton's Bond and his films in a much better light. I know many Bond fans think Die Another Day pushed Bond back into really silly, dumbed-down territory, invisible car, Ice Palaces etc - and they look back with fondness at Dalton's films and the more realistic approach.

I'm sure in the long term The Living Daylights and Licence To Kill will be regarded as better films than Die Another Day and most if not all of Brosnan's Bond films.

Lazenby's Bond film was dismissed when it was released and now most fans think it's one of the very best of the series. I think that's happening with Dalton's Bond films. People are looking back with fondness and applaud Dalton's more serious approach. And if the rumours are true, it's possible Bond 21 will be more like a Dalton Bond film.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2005 02:35 AM