KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is pause/freeze time possible?

Is pause/freeze time possible?
Started by: peterKSL

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

yeah to me too. ISn't that weird. not really.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 12:24 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

Don't u ever think that there is a possibility that the future us? or generations to come ever travel back through time or mess with time?

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 02:30 PM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

If someone found a way to pause time they would almost certain destory the universe If it freezes time he/she wount be able to stop it

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:33 PM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
frodo34x
^_^

Without reading all the posts (not enough time), I have a theory:
If you stopped time, none of your bodily functions would be haooening. You would not consciously have any awereness, or any way of detecting that it had stopped. In essence, time could be stopping all the (tries to think of a better word than 'time') 'time'

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 08:11 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Maybe it' s better to speak of pausing/freezing motion/action than calling it time.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 08:14 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carnival_junkie
God

Re: Is pause/freeze time possible?

quote:
Originally posted by peterKSL
Since the theory time travel to the past seems possible, I mean why not freeze time? It just needs less speed, right? And when freezing time is possible, does that mean that we won't get old?

where has it been said that time travel to the past is possible?
seems a little hokey to me.

I have no speech, no name. I live in the action of death, blood cry and the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute and alone.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 02:58 AM
carnival_junkie is currently offline Click here to Send carnival_junkie a Private Message Find more posts by carnival_junkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Einsteins general theory of relativity hypothesised that there are locations in the universe where time does not exist.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 03:11 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miahera
Platinum Card Member

I must have missed that part. I know it has been scientifically shown that time moves slower to our own time clock on Earth. I think they say planets farther away from the source it revolves around (like the sun) has a longer period. they say that phenomenons like the event horizon on black holes actually would cause time to appear differently too.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 04:47 AM
miahera is currently offline Click here to Send miahera a Private Message Find more posts by miahera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

thats not because time stops or nethin, its cause ur brain makes monotnous things travel faster, but the first time u look at the clock{not expecting it to go ticking on and on monotonously for an eternity, ur reflexes and the amount of resources ur brain is usin for processin that info is greater and hence it passes slowly, givin u more time to study n understand it, but once it becomes monotonous, lesser resourcesw are used.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 08:26 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

time can stop, but if ur thinkin that people around u will freeze then that s just time stoppping around u{meaning that u are travelling at the speed of light} but time wont stop for u, if time stopped for u, u wouldnt feal anydifferent, u wouldnt even notice it.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 08:29 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

but u know i think that time doest really move at all, its just that we percieve it to be moving.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 08:32 PM
carnival_junkie
God

you know...
three consecutive posts are not required.
you could've just as easily have placed all three of those thoughts into one post and saved a bit of page.
[shrug]

I have no speech, no name. I live in the action of death, blood cry and the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute and alone.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 09:23 PM
carnival_junkie is currently offline Click here to Send carnival_junkie a Private Message Find more posts by carnival_junkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

i could, but then again, my knowledge is superior to that of mortals so that gives me some leverages and advantages in public, one beeing the usage of as much space as i want unlike other mortals who are frowned upon if they do such a thing, lol. actually i wrote whatever came to my mind one after the other

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 10:33 PM
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

quote:
Einsteins general theory of relativity hypothesised that there are locations in the universe where time does not exist.

I missed that part of it.........with time being relative and all, how could we even theorize about time existing/not existing in part of the universe? Time is relative to us, where we are at the moment we are observing it (which means there is no past/future...if by some sci-fi miracle we traveled to 1923 it would be present, not past as we would be viewing it in 1923)............no matter what coordinate of space we were in, time would exist. Here's why:

1. The human body has several internal sources of forward motion (circulatory system, respiratory system, etc.). If we were to observe time (forward motion) not existing, our heart would stop and our lungs would cease to work.

2. We would not know if forward motion (time) didn't exist because we would not exist......as our human bodies depend on forward motion for survival. We would be dead and therefor obviously unable to observe this feat.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2005 06:17 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShootingStars
dearly beloved

it would not be possible to distinguish whether the 'speed of time' so to speak, has been altered. if time sped up, so would we, so it would just seem normal. again, if time was frozen, then we would be also. it could be possible but no one knows for sure

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 11:49 AM
ShootingStars is currently offline Click here to Send ShootingStars a Private Message Find more posts by ShootingStars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stringman

(New To Forum, But Perfect Place For Expression) I have a theory that encompasses all possibilities into one neat little package, its so complex to explain the simplicity of it. Me and my friend literally spent from 10 pm last night to 11 am this morning talking elaborating on the perfect ways everything falls into one. I'm actually serious when i say i think i know how it allllll works, because every possibility. i read the first page of this forum so far and everyone says the same things i've come up with, but not in the way that i makes sense to everything else every one is saying. if your open to any concept, tell me you'd listen and not argue and just listen to my observation. [email protected]. if you wanna email me, i'll share my thoughts on what me and my best friend compiled

Old Post May 24th, 2008 08:27 PM
stringman is currently offline Click here to Send stringman a Private Message Find more posts by stringman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

What is so hard about understand that time is a man made construct to give organization to things?

A minute is a measurement, just like an inch, but they are abstractions made up so that we may have ways to understand them.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post May 24th, 2008 08:35 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chithappens
What is so hard about understand that time is a man made construct to give organization to things?

A minute is a measurement, just like an inch, but they are abstractions made up so that we may have ways to understand them.

So you think that length doesn't exist because we had to invent the inch? Would save me a lot of gas if that were true.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 08:42 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GGS

Wasn't there a theory that we've already happened basically our whole history etc. with something to do with the stars as proof damn i wish i could remember what it was.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 08:48 PM
GGS is currently offline Click here to Send GGS a Private Message Find more posts by GGS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So you think that length doesn't exist because we had to invent the inch? Would save me a lot of gas if that were true.

No. That can never be a direct metaphor because you can put down a ruler and actually measure that. There is nothing concrete about time.

I meant the inch and minute thing as a universal abstraction that people use to explain and "how long" it takes to do something or "how long" this object is.

Time, understood as people are trying to use it, seems illogical. Each instance I press a key is a moment in the "past." What I am about to type is in the "future." So the only way to have a "present" is to literally freeze time which is where it gets messy.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post May 24th, 2008 09:01 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote