KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » When did Metallica start going bad?

When did Metallica start going bad?
Started by: Norma Jean

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

You gotta start using the quote tags, brother. Your posts are hard to read. erm

quote:

You know what Radiohead did? They said "It's our music. We do what we want with it, don't like it? **** you. Willing to turn your back on us for a decision we make? Then you're no fans anyway and we don't need you." They then continued on their path to being one of the world greatest ever bands.

That last sentence is strictly opinion. Totally subjective, and has no bearing in a debate.

Metallica has every right to change their music, although they were making a "comfortable living". Most would agree that nothing needed to change. To give fans that don't approve of a change in structure, Radiohead or Metallica one, such a malicious send off is weak. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The fans that were rabid about the bands original sounds are the ones that MADE THEM WHO THEY ****ING ARE. Right? Radiohead sure slammed the door on people who paid to see them live, bought their albums, bought their merch, and maybe had a little bit of a hard time coping with the senseless "evolution". That's just unprofessional. It's their music, but they are NOTHING without fans.

quote:
People need to stop telling Metallica that they have no right to do something when it's the fans who have no right to shit on their "favourite band" when they make a decision they don't like. Metallica aren't going out and selling clothes or shoes, they're not in commercials. The made a DVD, that's it. If you go to see the movie then you've got no right complaining because it just shows that you're interested in what they made the movie about anyway. They didn't compromise their integrity, they didn't lose credibility universally. They lost the acclaim of certain people.

Well, thankfully, I'm not "people", since I never told them what to do with their "craft". That $aid, I rarely que$tion their motive$, a$ they are blatantly obviou$. The fans indeed have a "right" to an opinion, the right to speak freely about how they feel in regards to the betrayal they experienced, and whatever else goes along with change. That's "it"? They cut their hair, went soft, lost their direction, drop the only metal influence of their band in Jason, shitting on him for a Rap-Metal approach to "vent their frustration". Then, they are naive enough to cash in the hopes that people will want to see a bunch of Thirtysomethings b!tch about the rigors of fame, how they don't get along, how sad it is to be rich, alcholic, bi-sexual intravenous drug using rockers. Write a ****ing book. It sells better, and doesn't make you look like capitalist pigs. Granted, book sales wouldn't amount to the same cut as a movie and subsequent DVD release, much less pay Hetfield's $100,000 a month therapy bills, which he admitted to Zakk Wylde paying.

quote:
The only Metallica fans I know that hate the band are the ones from this forum who have some weird delusional sense of entitlement and need to get over it.

No entitlement, just betrayal, desertment, lack of explanation, loss of respect for themselves and their fans, and complete and total loss of musiccianship. "St. Anger", again, is Metallica proving they hitched a ride into 2003 to the music scene in a drug enduced haze, and have no clue where they are.

Personally, I don't give a shit about the guys. They're old news. A blip on the musical radar. I'm anxiously anticipating their screamo album, though. thumb up

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Feb 25th, 2005 at 01:14 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 01:11 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Norma Jean
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I'm anxiously anticipating their screamo album, though. thumb up

laughing Ace!

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 01:16 AM
Norma Jean is currently offline Click here to Send Norma Jean a Private Message Find more posts by Norma Jean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Well, it's true. The only song that made it to radio off of "St. Anger" could easily have taken 4 different direction.

A) The opening and closing of the song? Thrash metal.

B) Verse, alternative. ("St. Anger in my head..")

C) Bridge, nu-metal. Hip-Hop drums, Durst vocal style lyrics. ("Push it out..")

D) Chorus? Punk as hell.

I figured, well, when they "come back", they'll try and figure out what band they wanna be, and give Screamo a try. Maybe it'll stick.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 01:22 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well you claim they're nothing without their fans but all the fans that left Metallica after the One video and all the fans that left Radiohead after OK Computer are quite clearly of no consequence coz the bands showed those people with a delusional sense of entitlement, just how important they AREN'T. Nobody made Radiohead BUT Radiohead. Just like nobody MADE Metallica but the people in it. If it aint broken don't fix it is right. There's nothing wrong with my bedroom but that doesn't mean there's no reason to redecorate.

Don't you think you're overreacting by making claims of betrayal and deserting? Come on man. Losing their hair matters shit, it's actually irrelevant. If their haircut bothers you then I suggest you find another hobby. Went soft? What do you mean, went soft? They are talented musicians and if them knocking off the booze and drugs keeps them around for a little longer rather than adding them to the countless list of rockstars dead from overindulgence, I'll take that chance coz I like having them around. They made a sub par album in St. Anger but I'd rather them keep putting out music than being dead.

Jason Newsted never fit in as it is. They've never had anything astounding in the bass department, Jason was nothing special. He wasn't even there when they put out their best album.

Lastly, they haven't lost musicianship. They are still an amazing live band, I saw them in December of 03 and they played all their stuff just as good, it was amazing. You shouldn't confuse ability to make stellar albums with the ability to play a stellar concert. The reason why I still like them is because they DID give us amazing music and they DO still play amazing shows. Until they grossly sell themselves out blatantly, which they haven't yet done besides your DVD debate (which is arguable depending on whether you care), I will continue to support them.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 01:34 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

First and foremost. Albums don't sell themselves, and unless Metallica have been buying all their albums, they didn't get where they are today on their own accord. Not that most bands would want to be in their position, but lets apply that to the "Black Album" era, shall we? That's principal economics, right there.

While I personally detatched myself from music a few years ago, I know plenty of Metallica fans over the years that do indeed feel betrayed, and rightfully so. Like I said, they have a right to evolve, but not everyone's going to necessarily understand why they did it, especially when their fans are happy with their music. Now, I don't see Metallica as being happy with their music, personally, so what I'm claiming isn't so far fetched.

Cutting your hair is more or less a universal sign of change. To deny that is totally naive. Was it a coincidence that they became a complete alternative band when they re-emerged? They became video whores when "Load" debuted as well. Coordinated outfits, coordinated publicity photos. What the **** happened to the Metallica that wore band shirts in their press photos? We get this pompous asses in suits and sunglasses, smoking cigars, rubbing it in everyone's face. "Hi, we're Nu-Metallica!" By soft, compare "Dyer's Eve" and "Until It Sleeps". The latter, being too soft to even screw my girlfriend by. Seriously.

Even if Jason's musicianship never factored into the band, his influence did, and again, another "coincidence" I suppose, when the band decided to change direction again, they drop him for Mr. Out-of-place-Suidical-Tendencies, Rob. As for their supposed questionable selling out. I don't know what constitutes selling out any more than me suggesting their lack of respect for fans overall, the self important, naive movie deal, re-releasing "Gold" versions of their albums, etc.

Like I said, I couldn't care less about the guys. Someone asked when they went South, I shared my opinion, backed it, and will continue to back it until Metallica can explain their deterence for themselves, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, beyond a "safe" explanation of wanting to "evolve", when all they've done was latch onto trends.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 01:57 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well we can go round and round about the fans making the band. It depends on the band. If you are in a band with the intention of being famous, fans are essential. If not, they aren't. Tool got together when they all had full time, well paying jobs. Purely because they wanted to play music, they didn't play to get signed. Adam Jones (guitarist) was a special effects guy on T2 and Predator, hardly on the breadline. Their fans didn't make them, they did. Metallica formed because they wanted to play music. Without Metallica, fans would have no albums to buy.

I know a guy who has loved them since the beginning and still does. Seen them live 13 times. He doesn't understand why they changed but he sees that they haven't done anything wrong either, which is a key point.

As for the being soft, I think THAT comes down purely to opinion. They weren't as heavy but I don't think they were by any means soft. Secondly, the way they dress or look doesn't matter shit to me. Whether they play guitar in Gucci or a band shirt, the song sounds the same.

What it comes down to is the fans wanting explanations, doesn't it? I don't want one because to me they haven't done anything worth explaining for. Made dubious decisions yes, I don't totally agree with the making of the DVD but it's their choice. If they started selling clothes, I'd be on your side.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 02:04 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
houtsjc

They never went bad they just split up for I think 5or9 years than they got back together to make one last concert I think.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 11:46 AM
houtsjc is currently offline Click here to Send houtsjc a Private Message Find more posts by houtsjc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

look look look...we can finish this debate with the simple statement...metallica are ****ing pish...they used to be good...now they are shit...thats the fact of the matter

maybe its arthritis...maybe they got a bit to influenced by crap music...maybe they just dont care that what they are churning out is totally bollocks

but if you dont like it...dont buy it...thats what i do...i still have all their old stuff and i still listen to it now and again...i dont listen to the new stuff because i dont like it...big deal...

alpha centauri does like it...does buy it...good for him...thats his taste...

now we can all go back to being whatever the ****

rock

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 12:51 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PunisherFan33
Gods sittin this one out

St. Anger

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 06:44 PM
PunisherFan33 is currently offline Click here to Send PunisherFan33 a Private Message Find more posts by PunisherFan33 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Metallica started going bad after the loss of cliff. Though the black album was there most popular, it was also their most formulated. They sold out with the black album. I'm not saying load or reload was bad, but it wasnt what once was. As for St. anger, i wouldnt even wipe my ass with that.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 07:24 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
room #99
lick my biceps

True.

After cliffs death lars took over everything and they made "one" video. Cliff never wanted them to make music videos.

I think the black album was great. for me its better then " And justice..."
which had my favortie song. but was never my favortie album.

I dont mind load or reload but st.anger, i despise that album.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 07:29 PM
room #99 is currently offline Click here to Send room #99 a Private Message Find more posts by room #99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"look look look...we can finish this debate with the simple statement...metallica are ****ing pish...they used to be good...now they are shit...thats the fact of the matter"

Not while I can disagree it isn't. Fact is provable.

Oh and why doesn't everyone stop assuming what Cliff Burton wanted? He died, bad stuff but that's the reality of it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 10:12 PM
Korri

"When did Metallica start going bad?"

I have only one thing to say..

Thats your opinion.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2005 03:36 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's Norma Jean, he doesn't like opinions other than his own.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2005 04:21 PM
Korri

Sammy i request a merge

Old Post Feb 26th, 2005 04:29 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HeartBroken

The black album was their last good album (imo), though load and reload had a few good ones. Why did they change? Because they got old, you don't feel it as much the more years pass. The urge to turn it up so loud it hurts doesn't roll around as often. Wait and see. It's even harder for a band to stick with it, it has to be their life while you have more freedom with it.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2005 07:04 AM
HeartBroken is currently offline Click here to Send HeartBroken a Private Message Find more posts by HeartBroken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

They changed coz they wanted to. Why is there a problem?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2005 05:19 PM
Darth_Lucifer
Fought well you have ....

Metallica havn't gone bad....they've just changed to adapt to newer music, fair enough the old songs are the best but the new stuff on St Anger is good.....the days of 10 mintues songs are over.....

Last edited by Darth_Lucifer on Feb 27th, 2005 at 05:31 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2005 05:23 PM
Darth_Lucifer is currently offline Click here to Send Darth_Lucifer a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Lucifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
room #99
lick my biceps

there are long songs on St.anger up to 8 minutes but the difference is that the songs are bland and has no taste to them.

it seems to me people are trying to convince them selfs that metallica are still good. Maybe they are but they are not showing it on thier music nowdays.

i dont want another master of puppets i just want another good album.

and i really cant convince my self tha tst.anger is a good album, it is one of the worse albums i have ever heard!

just my opinion.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2005 07:38 PM
room #99 is currently offline Click here to Send room #99 a Private Message Find more posts by room #99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I haven't tried to convince myself of anything. If I thought they were shit I'd say so.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2005 07:46 PM