KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » NO non digital theatres!

NO non digital theatres!
Started by: Robin Darkside

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Classic_Peach
I guess everyone here is to young to understand my question sad

No...you are too young for me to dignify that question with an answer.

But spy pretty much nailed it...

To elaborate...the digital projectors cost far, far more than normal 35mm projectors. It is EXTREMELY expensive to upgrade. I'm thankful they won't charge more.

Old Post May 26th, 2005 09:43 PM
Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
macgeek2005

Can someone explain to me exactly what it means, that it's digital?

How can it change an image? It's the same movie isn't it?

I saw the movie. I heard everything everyone was saying. Nice loud speakers. I saw the image very clearly. It was a good picture.

What does it mean "Digital"?

A day will come when no director has the courage to produce a film anymore.

A day will come when every single director on earth, will give up his/her work in helpless grief, overwhelmed by the greatest movie on earth.

That day......... is May 19 2005

Old Post May 27th, 2005 12:17 AM
Click here to Send macgeek2005 a Private Message Find more posts by macgeek2005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

Okay...lets start with audio. Analog is akin to say cassette tape, and digital is CD. CDs are much clearer sounding and the quality does not degrade...unless you scatch the crap out of it.

In the theatre you have several sound options, and you'll see a trailer for one of these before the movie if your theatre is equipped. First is DTS (Digital Theatrical Sound) which runs off a cd synced to the movie. Second is Dolby Digital and SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound) both of which are encoded on the actual print. All these systems are identical, and if see EX that means it has an extra center rear channel. However, SDDS has more speakers behind the screen...instead of left/right/center/and sub...it has upper left/right, lower left/right, center, and sub. Kick ass.

Then there is analog sound which is annoyingly loud and full of static.

Don't be fooled by THX, as this relates to speaker placement, sound levels, and limited echo...recreating sound as it was designed for the film. This is NOT digital.

With picture, analog is tape like VHS and digital is DVD. The picture quality difference is amazing and again the image does not degrade. DLP (Digital Light Processors) is a projection system using a digital file (80gb for SITH), projected on screen. The result is no cigarette burns, sloppy reel changes, dirty prints, and lets not forget ugly chemical splices. Basically...all the sratches, black spots, etc you see on normal prints are gone. Crystal image...

But that's not all. When film (celluloid) is projected large, the picture gets fuzzy and grainy. This film grain is absent in DLP presentations. Usually some remains if the movie was filmed on celluloid and later transfered to digital, like THE PHANTOM MENACE.

CLONES and SITH were filmed digitally, meaning all film grain is gone.

Secondly, DLP allows for greater color subtlty to translate onto screen. The most subtle is the pink in the clouds during the "Obi-Wan and the council don't trust me" scene. The clouds are white on celluloid, but have pink highlights in DLP. The image quality is that much better.

Class dismissed.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 08:34 PM
Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote