KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » "Only Sith deal in absolutes"

"Only Sith deal in absolutes"
Started by: The New History

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jedi Styles

Points of View....

SITH - Do whatever it takes to win, Lie, Cheat, Steal and spread Corruption To keep power, kill younglings, destroying innocents that have done nothing wrong, control of the galaxy, limit to freedom all to give power souly to the Emperor/ Sith Master...

Jedi - Keepers of the Peace, Do what is right, Help when you can, Be honest and trustworthy, Justice....

Whatever, I don't care...

Old Post May 24th, 2005 11:27 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Styles a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Styles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta 62
Autobots, Roll out!

Why do you even have to ask why Palpatine said that to Anakin? He was still in the process of turning him, he couldn't just outright say the Jedi are crap.

My myspace Galbadia Hotel (Anime/Game OSTs)

Old Post May 24th, 2005 11:29 PM
Click here to Send Delta 62 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta 62 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
padmeamidala

It is a *very* stupid line because it contradicts itself. The line itself is an absolute statement: only a Sith deals in absolutes. Well, Obi-wan, then you must be a Sith because you just made an absolute statement and you say only Siths do that. It's just dumb--like saying "never say never."

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:01 AM
Click here to Send padmeamidala a Private Message Find more posts by padmeamidala Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The New History
Just leave me alone ok

quote: (post)
Originally posted by padmeamidala
It is a *very* stupid line because it contradicts itself. The line itself is an absolute statement: only a Sith deals in absolutes. Well, Obi-wan, then you must be a Sith because you just made an absolute statement and you say only Siths do that. It's just dumb--like saying "never say never."
Finally someone agrees with me.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:02 AM
Click here to Send The New History a Private Message Find more posts by The New History Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

Ridiculous line; I love Obi-Wan and it makes me sick that it had to be him saying that.

"Jesus also thought that non-believers should be stoned"------Alliance

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:35 AM
Click here to Send Echuu a Private Message Find more posts by Echuu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta 62
Autobots, Roll out!

Ugh..he said it because now he knew Anakin could not be turned back to what he was.

You guys are acting just like those idiots who take lines like "Dude I laughed my ass off" literally.

Last edited by Delta 62 on May 25th, 2005 at 01:01 AM

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:58 AM
Click here to Send Delta 62 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta 62 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The New History
Just leave me alone ok

Originally posted by Delta 62
Ugh..he said it because now he knew Anakin could not be turned back to what he was.

You guys are acting just like those idiots who take lines like "Dude I laughed my ass off" literally.
"Only Sith deal with absolutes" and "I laughed my @$$ off" are completely different. I'm pretty sure Obi Wan meant what he said.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:20 AM
Click here to Send The New History a Private Message Find more posts by The New History Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sairarouge

LandoSpeeder2, I completely see what you're saying. I enjoyed the line, but you right that there are some continuity errors with it.

Sarah

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:23 AM
Click here to Send sairarouge a Private Message Find more posts by sairarouge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth MoonPIE
DarkYoda's Lover

Oh god no, the movie wasnt perfect! SOMEBODY SHOOT ME!

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:26 AM
Click here to Send Darth MoonPIE a Private Message Find more posts by Darth MoonPIE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SixOfTwelve
Blue Elephant Muppet

The more I think about it, the more I like the quote, contradiction and all.
Yes, the statement is an absolute as well. The fact that Obi-Wan doesn't see it makes the point about the Jedi having become complacent and arrogant all the stronger. They see the faults in others, but not in themselves.

At least, that's how I like to look at that quote, even though something tells me I'm giving it a lot more thought than Lucas did when he wrote it...

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:41 AM
Click here to Send SixOfTwelve a Private Message Find more posts by SixOfTwelve Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
palpy_666
SITH LORD

This is just another of the MANY contradictions the Jedi have (more specifically Obi-Wan). Obi-Wan lied a lot to Luke in the OT. The Jedi are indeed corrupt-- though they may think they mean well.

The Sith on the other hand do whatever they want.... because of this attitude, they can hardly be hypocritical or flawed.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:48 AM
Click here to Send palpy_666 a Private Message Find more posts by palpy_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta 62
Autobots, Roll out!

Yoda realized what the Jedi had become in the duel with Sidious. He realized the Sith had evolved..continuously changed..while HE had not allowed the Jedi to change. I hadn't thought of the statement in the way SixofTwelve and Palpy said, but I do agree with that.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 02:52 AM
jimmy986

i think people should stop basing things off of what Palpatine says. most of what he says is simply said to lure anakin to the dark side. he says that he will help anakin save padme but he never really intended to. he says the jedi were trying to control the republic but they werent. palpatine lies. get used to it.

i also disagree about it showing the flaws of the jedi. i think obi-wan is just trying to get anakin back to the light side. throughout their fight everything he says is directed toward anakin in a caring way.he is simply trying to get ankin back. he doesnt see anakin as lost until they are nearly finished with their duel. only then does he look at anakins fall as absolute.

Last edited by jimmy986 on May 25th, 2005 at 05:41 AM

Old Post May 25th, 2005 05:35 AM
Click here to Send jimmy986 a Private Message Find more posts by jimmy986 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

The Jedi were stupid... like Delta 62 said, they didn't change with the times as the Sith did. Yoda was stuck in his old ways and pulled the rest of the Jedi order down with him. "Failed, I have" - damn right you did.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 07:20 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth cretin

I believe that what Obi Wan says here is not a contridition at all. The statement he makes is indeed an absolute statement. But the fact that there are absolutes, and dealing in those absolutes are entirely different. A Jedi understands that absolutes exist. Light side Good, Dark side Evil is an Absolute. However the Jedi do not run their order by dealing with the absolutes, the Sith do.

ANAKIN: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.

OBI-WAN: Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

Notice Obi-Wan says he will do what he must. But yet he refuses to Deal even in that Absolute in the end. He could have ended Vader's life absolutely but chooses to not.

Just because you know that absolutes exist, does not mean you run your life by them. Anakin's main problem with the Jedi Order seems to be that they are starting to deal in the absolutes they believe in. He says this often, most notably to Palpatine when trying to decide if he should off Dooku's head. The Jedi would allow Dooku to live and stand trial, even while knowing absolutely that Dooku is Evil. The Sith kills Dooku because that is absolution.

Take the Mace vs Sidious scene. Anakin councils Mace in that he can not kill Sidious, it is against what the Jedi believe in. Mace then chooses to destroy the Evil. This is Dealing in an absolute and causes Mace's demise. Had he followed the teachings of his Order, Mace would have lived(for a while i'm sure anyway, regardless by dealing in the absolute he chose his own death, otherwise he would have died fighting in defense of his Order).

the understanding of absolutes, and making statements of these absolutes, is different then dealing in them, or making your choices based on them.

Vader would have killed Obi-Wan because as a Sith he is now bound by Absolutes. Obi-Wan as a Jedi does not kill Vader because he does not deal in absolutes.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 08:05 AM
Click here to Send darth cretin a Private Message Find more posts by darth cretin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sasa

Originally posted by yerssot
but those Tuskan Raiders are clearly muslim wink

(for those that don't know, it's what someone said in another thread)

Im a muslim, how dare u said that?? mad

Revenge Is Sweet...

Old Post May 25th, 2005 11:46 AM
Click here to Send sasa a Private Message Find more posts by sasa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
smoker4
Me name be Leon

If you actually read his post he was quoting someone else

F**k you Loggins

Old Post May 25th, 2005 11:47 AM
Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DenKi

Originally posted by sasa
Im a muslim, how dare u said that?? mad

ahahahah You can tell they are because of the way they walk and make those Hooting noice

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:24 PM
Click here to Send DenKi a Private Message Find more posts by DenKi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eleonora

Re: "Only Sith deal in absolutes"

Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
"Only Sith deal in absolutes." I don't like this at all. This should have been cut from the movie.

1. Sidious said evil or whatever is a point of view, kind of like, their really isn't such a thing as good and bad, just point of views, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the opposite of absolute?

2. If Jedi doesn't deal with absolutes then why are they saying the Sith is evil, and they seem to think their is right and wrong, the Jedi is basically based on absolutes.

3. This pretty much slams Christians, considering Christians deal in absolutes.

I'm Christian and I thought it was one of the best lines in the movie because of its pathos in that context confused

Last edited by Eleonora on May 25th, 2005 at 12:37 PM

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:33 PM
Click here to Send Eleonora a Private Message Find more posts by Eleonora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
padmeamidala

darth cretin,
You make a good point about it being different to deal in absolutes vs. there being absolutes that exist.

However, regarding Mace's duel with Sid, I see it the other way around. To say that *every* unarmed man should *always* stand trial is the absolute. If he had tried to arrest Sid at that point, Sid would have killed him. He was right, Sid *was* too dangerous to be left alive. That absolute that says to always not kill an unarmed was an absolute Mace was willing to go against, because he knew he had to. It wasn't Mace that caused Mace's demise; it was Anakin. JMO

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:40 PM
Click here to Send padmeamidala a Private Message Find more posts by padmeamidala Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote