KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Palpatine's control of Vader

Palpatine's control of Vader
Started by: Ast Rofan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kremzike
Palpatine is all Vader has left. He's the only friend that he hasn't alienated or killed. His mother died. His wife died. He thinks his children died with her. He tried to kill his best friend. All he has left is his mentor, Palpatine. And as far as Vader knows, Palpatine has done nothing but try to help him ever since he came to Coruscant. Serving the Emperor is the only thing that gives his life meaning and purpose... until he discovers Luke.

"until he discovers Luke."

Which is what i found really interesting last night. He fails to save his mothers life, then vows to never let it happen again. Palpatine claims he has the power to save his wife, yet he fails by killing her himself. When Vader shouts "Noooo!" at the end of the film, that was the last piece of humanity Anakin had left, so he gives up. But when Luke comes along, he finally does right by 'saving the ones he loved', so i think GL always had 'love' in mind when telling the story of how Anakin turned bad. Love bought him to the darkside, love brings him back to the lightside. Also, destroying the Sith once and for all, which comes under 'fulfilling the prophesy'...............sorry, go on!laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 05:42 PM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi Styles

Palpatine lies to Anakin....

Tells him he knows how to save Padme, then when Anakin turns... Palpatine then says we will discover the secrete together...

Anakin should have known something was up after he said that... Telling you WEAKNESS...

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Styles a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Styles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

i know, he is a little GULLIBLE! lolstick out tongue

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 06:01 PM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MistaMandalore

Well...learning the ability to save someone from death becomes mute for Vader after Padme dies. Vader has nothing left at that point. Except the Sith order and 'his' Empire. Luke reminds him of who he was before he dedicated his entire existence to the Sith ideology. Killing Sidious would serve no purpose. He is still an apprentice and there's no one else he can turn to to gain more power if Sidious dies.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 06:10 PM
Click here to Send MistaMandalore a Private Message Find more posts by MistaMandalore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
koolruningz
2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

Good thread, its good to see there is still intelligent conversation going on here with all the dud threads around.
I think as many have said it comes down to the fact that Vader has lost everything he knew, his mother, his friends, his wife and children (or so he thought). He has always liked the way Palpatine boosted his ego and Vader looked on him as a mentor so its not a stretch to say he still thought of him as an ally more than an enemy in the OT. As far as Vader is concerned Palpatine has done nothing wrong other than concealed his true identity and he wouldnt be the first person to be less than truthful in Vaders eyes.
Vader is a sith, even though his tale is tragic he is defiantly evil by the time we meet him in ep4. So its only natural that he follow his masters orders until he has the chance to overthrow him as the sith code states. We dont truly know his motives for destroying the Emperor in ROTJ, if he wasnt damaged maybe he would have tried to turn Luke and carry on the sith.
The fact remains also that he is not powerful enough to take the Emperor down and in the meantime he is doing his job and being the evil character that he has become.
Just a random thought, maybe he is hoping to learn the Emperors life sustaining power so he can survive without the suit and be strong enough to be top dog.

"The Capitol of this rugged slang is WU-TANG,
Witty Unpridictable Talent And Natural Game". GZA

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 10:51 PM
Click here to Send koolruningz a Private Message Find more posts by koolruningz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Last Son
Man of Steel

I agree. Although I wonder. I don't think Palpatine was purely evil. They mentioned the Sith use thier emotions. Anakin was in Love which is not what you're supposed to be when you're a Jedi. This ultimately led to his turning to the dark side. I think Palpatine genuinely cared for Vader in a way. He saved his life and showed emotion. I think Vader truely loves his master. In an evil sort of way.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2005 11:44 PM
Click here to Send The Last Son a Private Message Find more posts by The Last Son Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ominous

Sidious & Vader

I dont beleive all of it is known to Sidious, "I sense Lord Vader is in trouble" so he goes, if could have stopped that he most certainly would have, He did tell Yoda "Vader will be more powerful than both of us" prior to his batlle w/ Obi Wan, this was probably true.

He also shows emotion for his little demon, he goes to touch him in a sort of affection as he kneels beside him, they both do care for each other as much as the Darkside will allow anyway.

All Vader realy has is to eliminate any rebellion and hunt the remaining Jedi down, this is his life and in a new hope & Empire he sure looks motivated to me. Im sure he enjoys his power, killing off lacky admirals is probably funny to him later, lol

Vader, I beleive is unable to take out Sidious after the battle because of the whole machine thing, Vader also probably looks to him as being so wise for having defeated the Jedi, even Sidious showed what seemed to be admiration for his master, He kept saying how wise he was and powerful.

The Darkside will blurt out the ocassional "I can take him down, or we can take him down" but do they actualy mean to do it?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 12:16 AM
Click here to Send Ominous a Private Message Find more posts by Ominous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi Styles

It all boils down to a WOMAN.....

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 12:53 AM
Click here to Send Jedi Styles a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Styles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jedi Styles
It all boils down to a WOMAN.....

And what a woman she is big grin

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 01:26 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahhhnakin
Lord Vader

Excellent points. Remember, Anakin was always searching for more. More power, more praise from Obi-Wan, more ranking within the Jedi, he wanted love and marriage even though he was forbidden... so it finally takes it's toll. He was full of fear and hate... a path to the darkside, it is. Anakin was always on the fence really and unsatisfied with his life... so I think all the talk of it coming quickly isn't really true.

Now... throw in some heart-breaking things... his mother, thinking Padme betrays him, dueling it out with your "brother", killing younglings, killing sandpeople, whatever..... sometimes when you hate things you've done in fits of hate or fear or rage, you're going to turn to whoever is there in your life who seems to care about you, even if it's a little bit. Palpatine has always been there building a relationship with Anakin, so I think it makes sense that he would be so willing to serve his new master. He can overlook the evil, because he hates what he's become... more evidence of some good left in there.

I agree though.... he fully embraces the evil by Ep IV... it happens. You realize this is your life so you might as well make the most of it. What can you do..... it isn't until he feels love again (not a manipulated mentorship, as with Palpatine, who has a hidden agenda), but a respectful love of a lost family member. I think it makes perfect sense. Of course Palpatine is going to use his mind control over Darth Vader now, just like he did with Anakin.... saving his life surely didn't hurt either.

Oh... and as for the life-saving technique.... for all Anakin/Darth Vader knows, he might still believe that his new master can find it.... and restore his body.... he believes that he KILLED Padme, not that she died on her own free will.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 02:50 AM
Click here to Send Ahhhnakin a Private Message Find more posts by Ahhhnakin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stupid_Meroku
DAISUKI!!!

i dont get why he chocked her when the whole point of him joining the dark side was to keep her alive...i guess he was twisted by the dark side...so sad...

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 02:59 AM
Click here to Send Stupid_Meroku a Private Message Find more posts by Stupid_Meroku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I believe he choked her because he thought she was having an affair with Kenobi... he thought he had been betrayed.

This idea was present in the screenplay but abandoned in the film. In the film it suggests he choked her because she brought Obi Wan to kill him.

I like the affair senario better...

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 03:06 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

It could also be that he stays with Palpatine because he believes if he continues training he will gain the power to bring Padme back from the dead.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 03:08 AM
Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote