KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Which trilogy is better?

Which trilogy is better?
Started by: Darth Nhilus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
REXXXX
Networking

Hell, I liked Ian's acting in ROTJ a lot. Those lines were more memorable to me, seeing as he was EVIL BEYOND ALL REASON! eek!

ROTS Ian's acting was great, but I mostly just remember 'UNLIMITED POWER!' and a few other lines.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 06:46 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Seepgood

quote: (post)
Originally posted by viking12344
Heya Seepgood.
You can't tell me that Ian's small bit in Jedi, which was admittingly good , overshadowed what he did in Rots or his characterization in the entire PT. No contest.

That's not what I meant. You decided to omit his name from the good actors of the OT list on purpose. You listed Samuel Jackson but he had a pretty small role (even though it was of a very important character).

As for Hayden vs Vader, I think part of that problem is, your are watching a whiny kid in the PT who expects those around him to kiss his ass. You very well know Vader is not going to walk around saying, "I am angry", or, "I want to kill".
Why?
Because that is not his character....but it is Anakin's. Now if you do not like that, thats cool but it is still characterization. They are completely different characters who convey their emotions in completely different ways.

There's a difference between a whiny character and literally declaring the purpose of a certain scene. You notice it also in George's audio commentary in AotC. He goes "Now this scene is supposed to set up that Anakin thinks Obi-Wan is holding him back" and then, amazingly, Anakin says "Obi-Wan, I think you're holding me back" or "Padme, he's holding me back" or something else silly to that extant.
A character being whiny is no excuse to bad characterisation - Luke was extremely whiny in A New Hope but it's no where as bad as Anakin.

If cheesy dialogue bothers you, please close your ears in the real world because I hear plenty of it everyday.
Yeah, but that's because you watch the PT all the time. laughing

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 07:47 PM
Click here to Send Seepgood a Private Message Find more posts by Seepgood Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
viking12344

Well, no offense but I also emitted james earl Jones from rots with his small part. I call a push. No matter if he says, "Nooooooooooo!" or "I find your lack of faith disturbing." What Ian did in Jedi with a VERY one dimentional character was good but his acting was superb in the PT.
You can say it hurts my argument but I really can't disagree with that more.
BTW, where does anakin tell Obi-wan he is holding him back? I can think of one part, where he is speaking to padme in aotc where he says that and I see nothing wrong with it. Teenagers whine, especially to their friends.
It seems to me you are basing your argument off of GL's commentary. I suppose anakin could have walked around kicking a wall to show his "whineingness" but why? Luke's character(played by one of the best B movie actor's of all time btw) was no where near as whiny and when he was, especially on Dagobah, he whined up a storm.
Should he have told Yoda the Xwing was immposible to move, whining like a lil girl or should he have just jumped in the swamp, which is as big of a declaration of a scene as possible.

As for cheesy dialogue is just the PT....lol....I suppose I can quote a bunch from all six movies. GL is not a writer.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 10:53 PM
Click here to Send viking12344 a Private Message Find more posts by viking12344 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CrazyOcelot

At least Lucas is consistent.

Just in case we didn't pick up on the subtlety of this fact, he considerately lets us know that

"I'm a visual film-maker, not a literary one - the movie doesn't rest in the dialogue"

laughing out loud ya gotta love it

Last edited by CrazyOcelot on Jul 31st, 2005 at 10:58 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 10:54 PM
Click here to Send CrazyOcelot a Private Message Find more posts by CrazyOcelot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
viking12344

Ian's performance in Jedi was great. I said that using another adjetive I believe.....but IMO, he stole RoTS and was great in every scene from TPM and AoTC I can think of.
Hell, add him to the OT lineup of great actors. That gives you three plus a voice.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 10:58 PM
Click here to Send viking12344 a Private Message Find more posts by viking12344 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Seepgood

As for cheesy dialogue is just the PT....lol....I suppose I can quote a bunch from all six movies. GL is not a writer.

GL seriously isn't a writer, which is why he handed the job to Lawrence Kasdan in ESB and RotJ. Too bad Lawrence turned him down when he asked him to write the PT as well.

I see there's no hope convincing you otherwise. So... the PT is the best of the series, it's a true masterpiece - an epitome of visual effects and acting, the climax which movie making, from its early beginning, has been leading up to. Although Hayden gave the performance of his life, and I'm sure touched many, they should have replaced all the actors with CGI because I believe, as does George Lucas, that digital actors are much easier and better than live ones. My only spite with the PT is that they didn't give Jar-Jar enough screen time. I absolutely loved Jar Jar!
Oh yeah: roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 07:17 AM
Click here to Send Seepgood a Private Message Find more posts by Seepgood Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
viking12344

There really is no hope of convincing me otherwise. I belive both the OT and the PT to be masterpieces though, no need to be melodramatic.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 01:27 PM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love the (soon to be) KotOR Trilogy. wink

"The wait is over."

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2005 03:33 PM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Word, kick it off to myself.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2005 07:49 AM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InsaneNoodlyGuy
Dark Lord of the Pasta

Ot had Vader. NT had Jar Jar ****in binks. Ot wins.

Meow! Meow! Meow! Cat chow!! Cease your flatulent winds and hear my mind numbing expulsions of wicked noise!! Grrr!! Cheese!!!

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2005 12:14 PM
Click here to Send InsaneNoodlyGuy a Private Message Find more posts by InsaneNoodlyGuy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TicTactoe

OT Rocks.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 01:51 AM
Click here to Send TicTactoe a Private Message Find more posts by TicTactoe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Solo

Cool

Although both are sw and good trilogies there can only be one winner being the PT, i mean seriously- Lightsaber fights PT VS OT- who else laughed in ANH when vader and obi fought, seriously it was bad, And Alec Guiness & Harrison Ford carried the acting for the others in OT, compared to the awesome actors in PT with occasional bad lines, Natile VS Carrie = Natile Hands down, Overall PT less whiny and annoying (except Jar Jar) way better CG tech and ROTS = better then ROTJ
Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance laughing OT gets worse everyday sad but true

"Everything that has a begining....."

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 11:49 AM
Find more posts by Sith Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

I am old enough to have seen the OT in theaters back in the day.

IMO the PT is much better but ESB is still almost a perfect movie.

I am too (but I had to settle for the special edition in theaters...)

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 09:34 PM
Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by Sith Solo
Although both are sw and good trilogies there can only be one winner being the PT, i mean seriously- Lightsaber fights PT VS OT- who else laughed in ANH when vader and obi fought, seriously it was bad, And Alec Guiness & Harrison Ford carried the acting for the others in OT, compared to the awesome actors in PT with occasional bad lines, Natile VS Carrie = Natile Hands down, Overall PT less whiny and annoying (except Jar Jar) way better CG tech and ROTS = better then ROTJ
Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance laughing OT gets worse everyday sad but true

But OT had a GOOD storyline, Who cares about the flashy special effects when you can have a good story... AND NO JAR JAR. (Phantom Menace may have actually been good without Jar Jar Binks... WHO SUCKS!) sick

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 09:37 PM
Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

The good thing about the OT is that it never took itself to seriously, i mean ewoks defeated the emperors best troop sfor god sakes! The problem with the PT is that it tries to take itself seriously, even with the blundering idiot named after a jar. The PT continuosly fails at staying on the subject and with the ultimate main character (anakin) and instead relies to much on special effects. It foccueses on pod races, and random bad guys and never even takes enough time to explain what the prophecy is. I just hope that the new T.V. series won't be half as bad...

Old Post Aug 4th, 2005 09:55 PM
Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
viking12344

The ewoks more than cancel out Jar-Jar......seriously

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 12:43 PM
Lord Chariol
Revolutionary

The Original Trilogy had one problem, Return of the Jedi. Cut the Ewoks from the film and you have a decent movie, the ewoks suck and anyone who disagrees is wrong. The Prequels had many things wrong, of course Jar Jar, but I won't beat that dead horse anymore. Anakin in episode II should have been strangled by Obi-Wan and decapitated by Master Yoda. The only right thing was Episode III. The Original Trilogy is and will always be the best and anyone who says otherwise is either retarded or in love with Hayden Christenson

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 03:45 PM
Click here to Send Lord Chariol a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Chariol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Jar Jar Binks makes The Ewoks look cooler than Marty McFly in a flying DeLorean, picking up Samuel M Jackson and then doing a drive by with proton packs, in space.

Seriously, OT wins everytime.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 05:15 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
viking12344

Anyone who picks the ewoks over jar-jar has either:
1. A teddy bear fetish or:
2.A severe crack problem

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 08:23 PM
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I have both so I don't care.

Ewoks own Jar Jar any day.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 08:47 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote