KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Artwork Forum » Poetry Corner » Poetry and Prose suggestions

Poetry and Prose suggestions
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (35): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Peach
mordrem

Well, Syren and myself were going to work on actually running any competitions -- I don't actually write very often and I think something like poetry is too personal for me to want to enter a competition or anything.

There are a lot of people who post here, and I think we should encourage everyone to join in. Yes, some will be better than others, but that's inevitable in ANY sort of contest/competition. There has been two competitions on here before, and they went very well, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work out again, when this forum is so much more active than it was last time we did something like this.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:42 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Ok, this is the plan.

People who wish to enter the competition will send their poems to ME, adn I will post them on here in a seperate thread.

The person judging the contest will not know who wrote which poem, and so the competition would be fair.

Good?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:46 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I agree with Nun; there's no way I wouldn't win.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:46 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness
You can stop looking, now

I wholeheartedly agree, but like I said...can you convince others outside those three to want to enter if THEY feel their pieces are not on the same level!!!!

And the vast majority of work here are either: lost and unrequited love, suicidal tendencies, bile-inducing melancholy sadness and/or self-esteem issues. Fine as they are, but you can take all those themes and make of it something that can awe you into droolage....

Having read those mentioned, I've ran out or paper towels due to such an incident...while with others, I've suggested and mentioned ways to improve, but they cast aside likened to a blank-staring student that gawks at his teacher without comprehension.

AGH! This was in response to Lana's post!!!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:47 PM
NunYahBidness is currently offline Click here to Send NunYahBidness a Private Message Find more posts by NunYahBidness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Ok, this is the plan.

People who wish to enter the competition will send their poems to ME, adn I will post them on here in a seperate thread.

The person judging the contest will not know who wrote which poem, and so the competition would be fair.

Good?

I think that sounds like a good idea, though it is possible to identify people through their writing style.

I think that any competition should have more than one judge, though.

(btw....I think it's about time for another sig comp. It's been over a year since the last one stick out tongue)

Originally posted by NunYahBidness
I wholeheartedly agree, but like I said...can you convince others outside those three to want to enter if THEY feel their pieces are not on the same level!!!!

And the vast majority of work here are either: lost and unrequited love, suicidal tendencies, bile-inducing melancholy sadness and/or self-esteem issues. Fine as they are, but you can take all those themes and make of it something that can awe you into droolage....

Having read those mentioned, I've ran out or paper towels due to such an incident...while with others, I've suggested and mentioned ways to improve, but they cast aside likened to a blank-staring student that gawks at his teacher without comprehension.

Sadly there are people who don't want or won't respond to constructive criticism....but we really should encourage anyone and everyone who wants to to enter. For one thing, it's a way to see what your weaknesses are....for another, who knows? Maybe one of those people who's poetry is seemingly weak may come out of nowhere with a piece that completely dazzles everyone. I've seen it happen before, it could very well happen again.

Last edited by Peach on Sep 23rd, 2005 at 03:50 PM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:48 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Lana
I think that sounds like a good idea, though it is possible to identify people through their writing style.

I think that any competition should have more than one judge, though.

(btw....I think it's about time for another sig comp. It's been over a year since the last one stick out tongue)

eek! sig competition.

I'll alert Raz

It might not be ideal, (the poetry contest idea) but it would be fairer, I recon.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:49 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Sure it was, baby...Sure it was...

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:50 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness

Ok, this is the plan.

Good?
AH!!! I like that!!! HAHAHA!! Since I'm intimate with certain people's style it will not be hard for me to tell who's pieces are who's (or is that whom's)
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I agree with Nun; there's no way I wouldn't win.
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Such confidence boggles the mind!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:50 PM
NunYahBidness is currently offline Click here to Send NunYahBidness a Private Message Find more posts by NunYahBidness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness

Sure it was, baby...Sure it was...
Never mind!!!!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:51 PM
lil bitchiness
-

AH!!! I like that!!! HAHAHA!! Since I'm intimate with certain people's style it will not be hard for me to tell who's pieces are who's (or is that whom's) HAHAHAHAHA!!! Such confidence boggles the mind!

''Fairer'' was probably not a good word...''less embarrassing'' is the phrase i was looking for

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:52 PM
Peach
mordrem

eek! sig competition.

I'll alert Raz

It might not be ideal, (the poetry contest idea) but it would be fairer, I recon.

Thanks, dearie, TOH and I were talking about wanting to have another one not long ago happy

And yeah, it may be awkward to judge like that, but it would be more fair, and probably would encourage more people to enter if they were to know that their pieces would be judged anonymously.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:53 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

While this 'competition' seems like a fun idea, I think it will simply turn out to be little more than a fanfare to applaud my talents. I already have a thread for that, so I feel this 'competition' would be rather superfluous.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:57 PM
NunYahBidness

Then I suggest Lana put this thing together, as it would not be fair to others if Syren were also involved if she were to submit her work. And I would be very, very, very heartbroken if she did not. I feel as giddy as a boy in a sex shop...er toy store, if just to see what she submits!!!

As for judges, although I've not been asked...I would rather not as I would not be partial to those less than, oh never mind!!!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:57 PM
NunYahBidness

While this 'competition' seems like a fun idea, I think it will simply turn out to be little more than a fanfare to applaud my talents. I already have a thread for that, so I feel this 'competition' would be rather superfluous.
Truly your wit does more to wake me this early than six cups of esspresso straight up!!!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:58 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

'Straight up' what?

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 04:01 PM
Peach
mordrem

Then I suggest Lana put this thing together, as it would not be fair to others if Syren were also involved if she were to submit her work. And I would be very, very, very heartbroken if she did not. I feel as giddy as a boy in a sex shop...er toy store, if just to see what she submits!!!

As for judges, although I've not been asked...I would rather not as I would not be partial to those less than, oh never mind!!!

I have to say that I'm quite flattered that you'd like me to run this....if it's okay with everyone else, I will begin organizing a competition.

Truly your wit does more to wake me this early than six cups of esspresso straight up!!!

Six cups of espresso?! That's a massive amount of caffeine right there.....(I work in a coffee place) laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 04:03 PM
NunYahBidness

'Straight up' what?
Like my women. Black and bitter! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I make a funny.
I have to say that I'm quite flattered that you'd like me to run this....if it's okay with everyone else, I will begin organizing a competition.

Six cups of espresso?! That's a massive amount of caffeine right there.....(I work in a coffee place) laughing out loud
Well, I've always firmly believe if you're going to partake of caffeine, why dilly dally and just go for the gusto!!!

And I prefer mine cuban over the italian black...

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 04:12 PM
Syren
dreaming

Um, if it's ok with everyone else, I would really rather help Lana to organize and run the competitions, instead of entering... my work tends to be at its best when there's no deadline, theme or limit on words etc.

And I'm also very flattered with regard to the compliments thrown my way by a certain someone

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 10:17 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Quite personally I'd rather not organize this all on my own anyway!

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 12:51 AM
NunYahBidness

Originally posted by Syren
Um, if it's ok with everyone else, I would really rather help Lana to organize and run the competitions, instead of entering... my work tends to be at its best when there's no deadline, theme or limit on words etc.

And I'm also very flattered with regard to the compliments thrown my way by a certain someone
Then I must nurse my bruised heart as it must accept one less beauty to grace this graceless world.
Quite personally I'd rather not organize this all on my own anyway!
Yes, it would seem to be a daunting task for one person.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 04:53 AM