KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Is Superman the first superhero?

Is Superman the first superhero?
Started by: Hit and Run

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
botcherby

superman didn't debut in action comics did he? I thought he showed up in a newspaper first

I'll post a scan which made me think so

EDIT: here it is smile

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/05/329/17/121133043368.gif

Old Post Nov 26th, 2005 10:19 PM
botcherby is currently offline Click here to Send botcherby a Private Message Find more posts by botcherby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jedi Shmedi
Nope, Supes showed up in 1938, then Batman in 1939, Namor came in the 40's.

Namor came before Batman.

But not before Superman.

Namor was the first anti-hero, though. wink

Old Post Nov 26th, 2005 10:22 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Originally posted by Zarathustra
Namor's first appearance was in Marvel Comics #1, November 1939. Superman's was in Action Comics #1, in June of 1938 (nearly a year an a half earlier). Batman showed up in between.
As for that business about the Phantom: Sure, The Phantom wore a mask and fought wrongdoers no different than Zorro or the Lone Ranger, but none of these characters were considered superheroes because this term originated with Superman (Thus he is, by definition, the first superhero).

Namor's first appearence was Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly, May 1939.

quote:
Namor the Sub-Mariner first appeared in 1939 in the prototype for a planned giveaway comic titled Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, produced by the comic book packager Funnies, Inc. The only eight known samples among those created to send to theater owners were discovered in the estate of the deceased publisher in 1974.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/s...1143&si=126

Old Post Nov 26th, 2005 10:26 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by botcherby
superman didn't debut in action comics did he? I thought he showed up in a newspaper first

I'll post a scan which made me think so

EDIT: here it is smile

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/05/329/17/121133043368.gif

Action Comics 1 1938 - was first, but the newspaper strip fleshed out his origin etc

http://www.redboots.net/comics/supe_history.htm

The Shadow was around in comic books in 1929 but despite his gadgets he was still human (Ithink he was a superheroe though)

New Fun would be the first comic book that a company later called "DC" would publish. It was the first comic book to contain advertisements. By issue #6 New Fun would increase their comic books to 64 pages, and in issue #6 was a team-up of two important people. Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster created a character known as Dr. Occult. They later created Superman. Dr. Occult had an earlier appearance under the name Dr. Mystic in The Comic Magazine, which came out in 1936.

This comic is the first American publishing of The Phantom, who is now a worldwide hero. The Phantom made his debut on February 17th, 1936 and he was the first costumed hero. He was created by Lee Falk, who still today is working on his stories. The Phantom was the kind of hero that despite his normal "human" capabilities, fought crime with bravery and death defying stunts. Many future heroes would follow his lead. For more information about this breakthrough hero read The Phantom biography. Also in 1936 The Clock appeared in Funny Pages #6. The Clock was a masked detective; this is the first time a character used a mask to hide his face. Later on, masks would be used in most costumes so the hero could disguise his or her true identity.

In June 1938, Action Comics #1 came out, featuring a man in a red and blue costume lifting a car over his head! This was Superman, the very first comic character to have powers far beyond a normal human being. Sure, Flash Gordon and The Shadow were neat, but they couldn't lift a car over their heads and throw it at someone! Nor could they let bullets bounce off their chests, or run faster than a train, or leap over tall buildings in a single bound. To say the least, Superman was a fitting name.

When Siegel and Shuster were younger they tried pitching the Superman idea at newspapers and comics. One of their earliest proposals was a cartoon character called The Superman in 1933. They were constantly rejected, to the point that artist Joe Shuster once tore up his Superman artwork and stated that he'd redo the character properly if the time ever came. Today Superman is one of the 10 most recognized 'people' on the face of the planet. He has been in several movies, cartoons and TV series.

Much of this is taken from here

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8580/Hist1.html

prior to this lots of Super Characters had existed in books and pulps e.g. John Carter on Mars by Edgar Rice Buggoughs who created Tarzen,
Wylies Gladiator (Superman borrowed strongly from this) etc, etc.

Yup Supes was kind of the first smile

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

Attachment: chris-superman-tribute.jpg
This has been downloaded 81 time(s).

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Nov 26th, 2005 10:55 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

Whirly, any news on the miracleman trade?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 12:30 AM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Next Venom_girl
Scream

What about mythological figures. i.e. Beowulf who can survive underwater for 3 days or Coyote who can sing the dead back to life (i.e. "superpowers"). I'd say that predates Superman. smile

Girls Kick Butt!Respect Venom|Respect Black Canary|Respect Namor|Respect Hellsing|The Official Symbiote Thread&Picture Thread

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 12:39 AM
Next Venom_girl is currently offline Click here to Send Next Venom_girl a Private Message Find more posts by Next Venom_girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

Myth heroes wer exactly the base that led to the creation of Superman and the pulp heroes that came before like Tarzan.

They had "superpowers", they had abilities beyond other mortals.

But "comic book superhero" its the whole secret identity, crazy costume issue while still being better than the other men. Thats something the "old" heroes didnt have. They are something else.

While i dont agree (by the fact there were people who could match them) Zorro and Phantom can qualify to the group.

Beowulf for example doesnt. Why? While no "mortal" was better or could do what he did, he "lacks" the rest of the kitch stuff to be a conventional comic book superhero.

Wow that was long...

And yes i prefer the old badass heroes.

Last edited by olympian on Nov 27th, 2005 at 12:50 AM

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 12:47 AM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

superman WAS the first superhero in comic books (the term SUPERheroes was used by other charachters as a mark of respect to SUPERman)
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Namor's first appearance was in Marvel Comics #1, November 1939. Superman's was in Action Comics #1, in June of 1938 (nearly a year an a half earlier). Batman showed up in between.
As for that business about the Phantom: Sure, The Phantom wore a mask and fought wrongdoers no different than Zorro or the Lone Ranger, but none of these characters were considered superheroes because this term originated with Superman (Thus he is, by definition, the first superhero).
I thought that marvel didnt become an independant company until the 1960's

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2005 09:41 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

When Superman was born the name Superhero was born, so yes. Superman was the 1st superhero. Not to be mistaken by plain hero.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2005 07:27 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

Superheroe first the Superman is.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 05:32 PM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Originally posted by eleveninches
I thought that marvel didnt become an independant company until the 1960's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timely_Comics

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 08:33 PM
Frostbite883
The Frost Man

Re: Is Superman the first superhero?

Originally posted by Accel
This may seem silly, but I was curious as to whether Superman was the very first superhero or were there any other superheros that appeared before he did?

Well, there was Mandrake the Magician.

Old Post May 20th, 2006 05:17 AM
Frostbite883 is currently offline Click here to Send Frostbite883 a Private Message Find more posts by Frostbite883 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
J!gsaw
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think he's the first, but he is the most know.

Old Post May 24th, 2006 04:24 PM
J!gsaw is currently offline Click here to Send J!gsaw a Private Message Find more posts by J!gsaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kritish
-------------

The shadow was first.

Old Post May 24th, 2006 06:14 PM
Kritish is currently offline Click here to Send Kritish a Private Message Find more posts by Kritish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote