KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Val Kilmer as Batman

Val Kilmer as Batman
Started by: lordofwar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lordofwar

Val Kilmer as Batman

Val Kilmer did a great job in Batman Forever. He was dark and mysterious. If he been given a better script, he could have been the best Batman. Any reasons why he didn't continue being the Dark Knight?

Last edited by lordofwar on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 11:11 AM

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 11:07 AM
lordofwar is currently offline Click here to Send lordofwar a Private Message Find more posts by lordofwar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Decimator

i think kilmer sucked as batman. i think if clooney had a better script he wouldve been by far the best. but now that christian bale is batman ..... i cant see anyone doing a better job than him

Many many thanks to Sir Mist for the Kick-A** Sig ! big grin

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 12:24 PM
Darth_Decimator is currently offline Click here to Send Darth_Decimator a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Decimator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Well said lord of war.Kilmer gets too much unfair criticism.He did an excellent job with the role when he wasnt saying corny lines..If he had had a more serious script to work with without corny lines,there would be no question whatsoever that he was the best bruce wayne/batman out of the schumacher/burton batman movies there was.When he wasnt saying corny lines as batman,which wasnt very often,he excelled when he delivered serious lines as Batman.

He proved during the few times that he had serious lines,that he was a great batman.Like when he said to robin-If Bruce wayne could have given his life to save your parents,he would have.That was very touching when he said that.Most his serious lines he had were as Bruce wayne and he excelled during those times like when he was talking to chase about how he became batman,he gave a very moving performance then.He was by far a MUCH better bruce wayne/batman than keaton ever was for two things.One,he was everything that Bruce wayne is suppose to be that keaton was not.Tall,muscular build,handsome,charming,AND a full set of hair.2.He at least acted like bruce wayne being cool and suave with the women. Keaton was a horrible choice for the role because he didnt even come close to fitting the role.Bruce wayne isnt a short runt,who is half bald,with a pudgy gut,and a receding hairline.Its so laughable when people say he was the best bruce wayne/batman because not only was keaton a horrible choice because of that,but also because he didnt even act like bruce wayne.Bruce wayne isnt a rambling dolt around women like he was with kim basinger saying stupid crap like-Yes Im sure Im bruce wayne,yes,this time I am sure. Keaton ruined the image of bruce wayne big time.Clooney was as bad a choice as keaton was because he is one ugly looking dude,the guy looks like eddie munster for god sakes.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 06:02 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkAge
Stronger than fear

Did you guys see him in his shirtless scene though? Just embarrassing. Bale did the right thing and actually bulked up. That's what Kilmer should have done, and for that matter it's what Hayden Christensen should have done for Revenge of the Sith.

"Be yourself. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 04:14 AM
DarkAge is currently offline Click here to Send DarkAge a Private Message Find more posts by DarkAge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zarathustra

Bale definitely wins points for doing awful things to his body, like going from a healthy weight to 120 pounds to 200-odd pounds to 180 in a matter of months for his roles.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 04:31 AM
Zarathustra is currently offline Click here to Send Zarathustra a Private Message Find more posts by Zarathustra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jgiant
Subject is Lethal

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Well said lord of war.Kilmer gets too much unfair criticism.He did an excellent job with the role when he wasnt saying corny lines..If he had had a more serious script to work with without corny lines,there would be no question whatsoever that he was the best bruce wayne/batman out of the schumacher/burton batman movies there was.When he wasnt saying corny lines as batman,which wasnt very often,he excelled when he delivered serious lines as Batman.

He proved during the few times that he had serious lines,that he was a great batman.Like when he said to robin-If Bruce wayne could have given his life to save your parents,he would have.That was very touching when he said that.Most his serious lines he had were as Bruce wayne and he excelled during those times like when he was talking to chase about how he became batman,he gave a very moving performance then.He was by far a MUCH better bruce wayne/batman than keaton ever was for two things.One,he was everything that Bruce wayne is suppose to be that keaton was not.Tall,muscular build,handsome,charming,AND a full set of hair.2.He at least acted like bruce wayne being cool and suave with the women. Keaton was a horrible choice for the role because he didnt even come close to fitting the role.Bruce wayne isnt a short runt,who is half bald,with a pudgy gut,and a receding hairline.Its so laughable when people say he was the best bruce wayne/batman because not only was keaton a horrible choice because of that,but also because he didnt even act like bruce wayne.Bruce wayne isnt a rambling dolt around women like he was with kim basinger saying stupid crap like-Yes Im sure Im bruce wayne,yes,this time I am sure. Keaton ruined the image of bruce wayne big time.Clooney was as bad a choice as keaton was because he is one ugly looking dude,the guy looks like eddie munster for god sakes.

Wow, i though keton was the best, except for Bale...keaton gave a very good performance, though the body wasn't there his seriousness and slight crazyness was...

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 05:49 AM
jgiant is currently offline Click here to Send jgiant a Private Message Find more posts by jgiant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
king_arthur

Re: Val Kilmer as Batman

Originally posted by lordofwar
Val Kilmer did a great job in Batman Forever. He was dark and mysterious. If he been given a better script, he could have been the best Batman. Any reasons why he didn't continue being the Dark Knight?

The reason he left was because of the direction in BF and because of Joel Schumacher. However, Val was willing to do Batman again but he was already commited the "The Saint" in which conflicted with the production (Batman and Robin) so Cloony was somewhat brought in at the last minute.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 06:13 AM
king_arthur is currently offline Click here to Send king_arthur a Private Message Find more posts by king_arthur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lordofwar

I heard that creator Bob Kane said that "out of all the actors to play Batman he thought Kilmer did the best" or something like that. I just wish he was alive to see Christian Bale.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 06:16 AM
lordofwar is currently offline Click here to Send lordofwar a Private Message Find more posts by lordofwar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

One of the reasons Kilmer didn't do it for me as Batman was because he didn't leave me with a memorable enough impression of Batman, so he sucks.

I don't think i remember 1 "Forever" Batman line.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 09:24 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

Lets see, for me, kilmer was the best actor playing batman and bruce wayne in the four previous movies. He wasnt anything special, but at least he looks more the role than keaton or kilmer and acted more like bruce wayne than keaton or clooney. Im not a big fan of kilmer batman, but he was the less bad of the three actors of those crap movies. Keaton played a goofy idiot insecure with woman and memory problems, clooney played just as himself in real life, but at least kilmer give with his performance a much more closer version of bruce wayne than the other two. And he was good fighter.

In the other hand,he didnt play batman anymore because his discussions with schumacher and the fact that he signed to play the saint.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 11:55 AM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by lordofwar
I heard that creator Bob Kane said that "out of all the actors to play Batman he thought Kilmer did the best" or something like that. I just wish he was alive to see Christian Bale.

True.He DID say that.I remember,he said that in the old now defunt comicscene magazine.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 11:32 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Kilmer was ok as Batman.Not as good as Keaton or Bale.

But definitely better than Clooney.But that's not saying much.Adam Sandler would be better than Clooney.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 11:33 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by DarkAge
Did you guys see him in his shirtless scene though? Just embarrassing. Bale did the right thing and actually bulked up. That's what Kilmer should have done, and for that matter it's what Hayden Christensen should have done for Revenge of the Sith.

Embassasing? how was that? at least unlike Keaton,he wasnt pudgy and out of shape and had a muscular and athletic build..Keaton himself said thats why he did not take off his shirt because he felt uncomfortable doing so since he did not have a muscular or athletic physique.Thats why the one scene he did have his short off he was very far away from the camera and you could not see a close up of him to be able to tell that he was pudgy and out of shape.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 11:36 PM
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Doc Ock

But definitely better than Clooney.But that's not saying much.Adam Sandler would be better than Clooney.

He would have easily have been the best of the 3 if he had had a serious script to work with but he was never given that chance because he had so many corny lines.The few times he did get to be serious and deliver serious lines though ,were as Bruce wayne and he excelled during those times.as mentioned earlier by the thread starter,Bob Kane liked him the best as well. smile

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 11:40 PM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

He just didn't feel like Bruce Wayne/Batman to me.Not even in the serious scenes.

I got the Bruce Wayne/Batman vibe off the others.But not him.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 11:43 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

except for clooney of course right? LOL. Well I felt the seriousness from him especially when he was telling chase how he became batman.He gave such a great moving performance then with his voice it gave me goosebumps the first time.With Keaton,he did a good job with his voice but I could not take him serious because under that cape,you just knew awaited a short dwarf who was half bald and out of shape as bruce wayne.That being the case,it just took away his serious moments for me since he was so miscast in that role.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 11:49 PM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Telling Chase???

Kilmer had Chase Meridian not Clooney.It's Clooney I didn't like.Not Kilmer.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 11:51 PM
natigirl

I agree, I was really hopeful when he was cast, and unfortunately the movie just wasn't on par with his ability. Christian Bale is more a Kilmer type Batman, which is why I loved him in the role.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 08:18 PM
natigirl is currently offline Click here to Send natigirl a Private Message Find more posts by natigirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

Originally posted by Doc Ock

laughing adam sandler as batman...

-and as for that Bale as a Kilmer type batman, no way! Christian Bale brings his own type of Batman in with voice, and performance. And brings in his own Bruce Wayne also.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 10:12 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sevenman

That's like changing Mark Hamill into Mr.T in Return of the Jedi.

Homer: Batman's a scientist.
Marge: IT'S NOT BATMAN!

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 08:20 AM
sevenman is currently offline Click here to Send sevenman a Private Message Find more posts by sevenman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote