KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Is Superman the ultimate Superhero?

Is Superman the ultimate Superhero?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (37): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

Is Superman the ultimate Superhero?

I think he is..I Know he is.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2005 10:01 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

yes

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2005 10:26 PM
JediMasterLuke5 is currently offline Click here to Send JediMasterLuke5 a Private Message Find more posts by JediMasterLuke5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RevoWution™©®
pr0F3ss0r_F4rnsw0rth

Yes. Respect to the Man of Steel! Respect! *thumps chest*

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: All your Rick Roll are belong to me!!

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:46 AM
RevoWution™©® is currently offline Click here to Send RevoWution™©® a Private Message Find more posts by RevoWution™©® Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cosmic Cube
I don't have any friends.

All around, as a Superhero, he is the best. He's the definition of the word.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:05 PM
Cosmic Cube is currently offline Click here to Send Cosmic Cube a Private Message Find more posts by Cosmic Cube Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

There was a special about this on Bravo. Spidey won. He's the ultimate. Supes was second, but that's really Batman's spot IMO

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:12 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I guess he is a Role Model for "Superheroes" . He probably is what people consider as a Superheroe first.

Spiderman and Batman are at least as great heroes but they are not the "Superhero" role models.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:31 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

When was the last time you heard...

"This is a job for Thor/Batman/Spiderman/SilverSurfer/Flash/Hulk/Wolverine/Storm/
WonderWoman/GreenLantern/etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.....?"

Nada zip zero goose eggs nyet lo etc etc etc etc

Only one name fits the bill...only one name ever will fit the bill.

Don't mess with the "S"

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:14 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship

"This is a job for Thor/Batman/Spiderman/SilverSurfer/Flash/Hulk/Wolverine/Storm/

Don't mess with the "S"

When was the last time you heard "Holy Macaroni Superman ....To the Supermobile" when was the last time you heard "Let those who worship evils might, beware my power Supermans light" when was the last time you heard "I am the Fastest Man Alive, I am Superman" when was the last time you heard "I am your friendly neighbourhood super" ...but anyways....you are right stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:19 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Don't mess with the "S"
I haven't heard anybody say that for Supes in a while either. I have heard various people say my Spidey sense is tingling and nowadays whenever a list is printed Spidey's on top more often than not. Many of today's kids don't even know Supes, but they all know Spidey and most know Batman

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:20 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by brainchild81
I haven't heard anybody say that for Supes in a while either. I have heard various people say my Spidey sense is tingling and nowadays whenever a list is printed Spidey's on top more often than not. Many of today's kids don't even know Supes, but they all know Spidey and most know Batman

Wow...that'S a little far fetched...who doiesn't know The Supes? .....anyways...if it should actually be that way it will change with the new movie.....

I heard that Spidey and Batsy are top though..at least over here in Germany....but that's not the question..the question is if you have to name the ultimate superheroe...who would represent that picture...and I'd have to go with Supes....or maybe Cap but he's not as famous...

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:38 PM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Who doesn't know Superman? PLEASE. The Superman signia is #3 (just behind the friggin crucifix) of the most recognizable symbols in the world. EVERYONE knows who Superman is. With the success of the movies, Spider-Man's popularity has grown significantly. But seriously, when a person in the friggin Amazon jungle knows Superman, you're getting a grasp of just how popular this guy is.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:23 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

I'm not saying nobody knows Supes, seriously though go to a poor neighborhood where few people have cable and ask the kids who Superman is. Some kids might even say "You mean Spider-Man?" Then ask them who Spider-Man is.
Originally posted by Bardock42
Wow...that'S a little far fetched...who doiesn't know The Supes? .....anyways...if it should actually be that way it will change with the new movie.....

I heard that Spidey and Batsy are top though..at least over here in Germany....but that's not the question..the question is if you have to name the ultimate superheroe...who would represent that picture...and I'd have to go with Supes....or maybe Cap but he's not as famous...
How would you define ultimate?

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:39 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Draco69
Who doesn't know Superman? PLEASE. The Superman signia is #3 (just behind the friggin crucifix) of the most recognizable symbols in the world. EVERYONE knows who Superman is. With the success of the movies, Spider-Man's popularity has grown significantly. But seriously, when a person in the friggin Amazon jungle knows Superman, you're getting a grasp of just how popular this guy is.

I've said this on previous threads, I'll say it again: You can go anywhere in the civilized world, tie a towel around your neck, and everyone will know who you are referring to.

Remember that commercial not too long ago: the grainy film of a little boy with said towel and a caption going, "No one ever grew up wanting to be Moneyman."

The prefix "super" is all over the place. When was the last time you went into McDonald's and said "Batsize me"?

Look, he aint everyone's cup of tea, and I'll be the first to say that costume leaves a great deal to be desired. But he is The Icon for the genre, like Sherlock Holmes is for detectives, James Bond for spies, Tarzan for jungle dudes, Godzilla for giant monsters, Dracula for vampires. Even Aunt May, in advising her nephew said, "You're not Superman, you know."

And you thought Batman and Wolverine fans were bad... stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:40 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'm not saying nobody knows Supes, seriously though go to a poor neighborhood where few people have cable and ask the kids who Superman is. Some kids might even say "You mean Spider-Man?" Then ask them who Spider-Man is. How would you define ultimate?

I probably say the idealtype of a Hero just Super....now Spiderman isn't really the common hero..neither is Batman ...oh and i think a prerequisite is not to have a comic named "Ultimate......." stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:47 PM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I'm not saying nobody knows Supes, seriously though go to a poor neighborhood where few people have cable and ask the kids who Superman is. Some kids might even say "You mean Spider-Man?" Then ask them who Spider-Man is.

Unfortunately I call bullsh**. I've been (study abroad) to POOR neighborhoods in Eastern Asia that would make any American "poor" neighborhood look like a West Hollywood condo resident. They all know who Superman is. Hell they even know his origin. You can't compare Spider-Man to Superman in terms of popularity. It simply isn't even close.

As I said the Superman siginia is number THREE in the most recognizable symbols in the world. That means damn near everybody on this planet knows who Superman is. Even in the most downtrodden, uncivilized areas on Earth. Seriously. When a Amazonian child wearing nothing but leaves and tree bark, spending a majority of his life hunting and fishing, knows who and what Superman is, we get a grasp of how popular this guy is. Spider-Man is just pop culture icon limited to a few select areas.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:47 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I've said this on previous threads, I'll say it again: You can go anywhere in the civilized world, tie a towel around your neck, and everyone will know who you are referring to.

Remember that commercial not too long ago: the grainy film of a little boy with said towel and a caption going, "No one ever grew up wanting to be Moneyman."

The prefix "super" is all over the place. When was the last time you went into McDonald's and said "Batsize me"?

Look, he aint everyone's cup of tea, and I'll be the first to say that costume leaves a great deal to be desired. But he is The Icon for the genre, like Sherlock Holmes is for detectives, James Bond for spies, Tarzan for jungle dudes, Godzilla for giant monsters, Dracula for vampires. Even Aunt May, in advising her nephew said, "You're not Superman, you know."

And you thought Batman and Wolverine fans were bad... stick out tongue

yes

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:49 PM
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

There was a special about this on Bravo. Spidey won. He's the ultimate. Supes was second, but that's really Batman's spot IMO

But one the top 200 pop icons of all time Superman was #2 and Spiderman was like in the 160's.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 10:08 PM
JediMasterLuke5 is currently offline Click here to Send JediMasterLuke5 a Private Message Find more posts by JediMasterLuke5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by Draco69
Unfortunately I call bullsh**. I've been (study abroad) to POOR neighborhoods in Eastern Asia that would make any American "poor" neighborhood look like a West Hollywood condo resident. They all know who Superman is. Hell they even know his origin. You can't compare Spider-Man to Superman in terms of popularity. It simply isn't even close.

As I said the Superman siginia is number THREE in the most recognizable symbols in the world. That means damn near everybody on this planet knows who Superman is. Even in the most downtrodden, uncivilized areas on Earth. Seriously. When a Amazonian child wearing nothing but leaves and tree bark, spending a majority of his life hunting and fishing, knows who and what Superman is, we get a grasp of how popular this guy is. Spider-Man is just pop culture icon limited to a few select areas.
Spidey's pretty much worldwide now thanks to those mega hit movies. Also, you are mistaking well known for being popular. Supes could possibly be more well known than Spidey, but more popular? Nah boss. Maybe a looong time ago, but definately not now. Outside of the people who read his comics, no one really cares about Supes like that anymore. Let's see how his movie does. Supes is usually duking it out w/Batman for the #2 spot. Spidey's the king now. This isn't the most accurate list, but Spidey'd never be found an a list like this maxim 25
Spidey was also Wizard Magazine's greatest of all time. Bats was #2.
Even Aunt May, in advising her nephew said, "You're not Superman, you know."
Showing us how mentioning him is an instant punchline

Last edited by I-Drop on Nov 4th, 2005 at 10:58 PM

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 10:52 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

More instances...

In "Matrix Reloaded," who do they compare Neo to when he's flying?
"He's doing his (all together now) Superman thing."
(implying, of course, that 200 years in the future, Big Blue is still well-known).

In "The Iron Giant," when the robot is about to sacrifice itself against a nuke to save a town, whom does it imagine itself to be?
"...(all together now)...Superman..."

Spiderman and Batman are great characters: Spiderman is my number #4 fave (years ago was number #1), and Batman...I love how he uses his brains to defeat much more powerful opponents (including the Big "S"). But even They tip their hats (masks?) to (all together now)...

Though I do concede: there is this but none for TMoS.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 12:06 AM
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

brainchild81

your kidding right? seriously? you have to be kidding...

are you trying to say that spiderman is more known then superman? wtf is going on in your head man...seriously, its completely retarded what you are saying.

"kids dont know who superman is" hahahaha! thats bull man, complete bull. EVERYONE knows who superman is, everyone. superman is beyond a superhero, he is a symbol. spiderman is just a very popular comic book hero and just recently a very popular movie hero. but superman is a symbol, not even a character anymore, the character is second to his symbolic presence. as said, if superman "S" is in the same league as the crucifix then its pretty F**in known...lol

spiderman is NOT EVEN CLOSE to superman in terms of anything. stop kidding yourself, cause seriously people are gonna laugh at you if you keep saying what your saying.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 01:36 AM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote