KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Is Superman the ultimate Superhero?

Is Superman the ultimate Superhero?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (37): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

quote: (post)
Originally posted by brainchild81
Only in the Supes bashing/improvement threads. smile I know my place. So me not liking Supes makes him even more popular? Wow! I guess you learn something new everyday big grin

Pretty much. Famous or infamous. Depends on how you look at it.

Humans are afraid of the dark.
And yet… At the same time, we’re fascinated and bewitched by it.
Maybe that’s why humans drink the darkness that is coffee.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 09:47 AM
Avlon is currently offline Click here to Send Avlon a Private Message Find more posts by Avlon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Ohh god, this kid is hopeless.

hes not getting the difference between "popular" and "symbolic icon"

supes may not be the most "popular" anymore, but hes already above that anyways, him being called popular is an insult actually, hes beyond popular....

anyways, im not going to keep trying to get him to understand, its completly pointless..

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 10:55 AM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botcherby

brainchild81, you ignent

you see my sig... I love spiderman, but I know that Superman is the most well known iconic superhero ever. He is the framework to which superheroes are based upon. I visit Indonesia a lot and I've been to the poorest places, yet everyone knows Superman.... the first superhero that comes into their head is superman.

just like The Anomaly said he is beyond what you class popular, he is legend.... on the other hand Spiderman is just a teenage chump sucking on his aunt's titty in comparsion

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 02:50 PM
botcherby is currently offline Click here to Send botcherby a Private Message Find more posts by botcherby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UniOmni
Outrageously Dickish

Superman is the ultimate superhero, no matter how much it irks me to admit this fact. A few years ago, happily crowed from my mouth. Now, grudgingly snarled. But he isn't the first superhero. I believe there was a phantom detective or some such before him. And Namor may have preceded boy blue. Just might not have been as popular off the bat. So yes, Superman is the iconic superhero who beats evil and gets the sword of god and becomes one with the universe and blah blah blah.....yall can get back to ya circle jerk now. Just make sure to clean up the mess when you leave. Put a few of boy blues comics to good use as damage control, cuz semen stains.....hahhahha!!!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 05:40 PM
UniOmni is currently offline Click here to Send UniOmni a Private Message Find more posts by UniOmni Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NightWriter
Seeker of Inspiration

Yes he is...

*flashes Avatar at everyone*

...yes he is yes

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 06:03 PM
NightWriter is currently offline Click here to Send NightWriter a Private Message Find more posts by NightWriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Yes.

Hence the name Superman. I think he is appropiatly named.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 06:19 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NightWriter
Seeker of Inspiration

Very nice sig OB1 yes

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 06:57 PM
NightWriter is currently offline Click here to Send NightWriter a Private Message Find more posts by NightWriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

How would you define ultimate?

ul·tI·mate -

Of the greatest possible size or significance; maximum.

Representing or exhibiting the greatest possible development or sophistication: the ultimate being.

Utmost; extreme: the ultimate insult.
Being most distant or remote; farthest.

The basic or fundamental fact, element, or principle.
The greatest extreme; the maximum

Ultimate -

Furthest or highest in degree ; utmost or extreme; "the ultimate achievement"; "the ultimate question"; "man's ultimate destiny"; "the ultimate insult"; "one's ultimate goal in life"

being the last or concluding element of a series;

Being the ultimate or elemental constituents of anything; "the elemental stuff of...out of which the many forms of life have been molded.

Dictionary.com explains it more clearer than i would,

wink

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 02:25 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Pretty much. Famous or infamous. Depends on how you look at it.
Again, it seems like people don't know what popular means. Well liked = popular. Me not liking him doesn't make him more popular. I stopped debating about who's more well known a while back. I have no doubt that Supes is indeed a well known iconic character. We're talking about who's the Ulitmate superhero here. If you add up ALL the factors, like Bravo or Wizard did, it's hard not to end up w/Spidey as the #1 guy. Supes might make it to the top 3, but that #1 spot is reserved for the guy that "does whatever a spider can"
Originally posted by UniOmni
But he isn't the first superhero. I believe there was a phantom detective or some such before him. And Namor may have preceded boy blue.
Nah. Supes was before Namor. He was created @ a time when people needed a hero and standards were very low.

Last edited by I-Drop on Nov 13th, 2005 at 05:58 PM

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 05:52 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

Again, it seems like people don't know what popular means. Well liked = popular. Me not liking him doesn't make him more popular. I stopped debating about who's more well known a while back. I have no doubt that Supes is indeed a well known iconic character. We're talking about who's the Ulitmate superhero here. If you add up ALL the factors, like Bravo or Wizard did, it's hard not to end up w/Spidey as the #1 guy. Supes might make it to the top 3, but that #1 spot is reserved for the guy that "does whatever a spider can" Nah. Supes was before Namor. He was created @ a time when people needed a hero and standards were very low.

Others have explained it to you before, and it's pretty obvious that you don't get it.
Popularity isn't always acheived by liking someone, there are also those people love to hate for example, you and Supes. By disliking him and spending time in his forum, you are contributing to his popularity. Turn on the news, there have been plenty of examples of people that we all hate...but people tune in because they hate them. They bring up ratings. Supes is better known than Spidey. Period.

As for the ultimate Superhero. Spidey tries to do good, but he will never touch Supes. Hell, his own aunt has told him that. wink

Humans are afraid of the dark.
And yet… At the same time, we’re fascinated and bewitched by it.
Maybe that’s why humans drink the darkness that is coffee.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 06:34 PM
Avlon is currently offline Click here to Send Avlon a Private Message Find more posts by Avlon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Others have explained it to you before, and it's pretty obvious that you don't get it.
Popularity isn't always acheived by liking someone, there are also those people love to hate for example, you and Supes. By disliking him and spending time in his forum, you are contributing to his popularity. Turn on the news, there have been plenty of examples of people that we all hate...but people tune in because they hate them. They bring up ratings. Supes is better known than Spidey. Period.

As for the ultimate Superhero. Spidey tries to do good, but he will never touch Supes. Hell, his own aunt has told him that. wink
In the Marvel movie world, they're "real" and Superman's a fictional character dude. Also, she doesn't know he's Spider-Man.smile She was comparing Peter Parker's good nerdy nephew feats(not Spidey's) to a comic book character's. I don't love to hate Superman though. I just "hate" him. evil face If I loved to hate him, I'd buy his books hoping that he'd be getting his a$$ kicked. I just don't buy his books. "Love to hate" is more like a cool bad guy in pro-wrestling. Christian, for example. Or maybe that English guy from "Deadwood" who curses all the time. Or Starscream from Transformers. People who you "love to hate" have entertainment value to you. Supes doesn't IMO. Supes only interests me in "Smallville" form

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 08:39 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Smallville is still superman.

therefore you admit to not liking superman and then say you like superman. interesting.

i assume you are going to say "but i dont like comic superman"

thats irrelevant, its all superman, either you like the character or you do not.

second, since when did spiderman become the ultimate super hero? hes a loner kid who has mediocre super powers at best and can (and does very often) get his ass beat.

now, dont get me wrong i love spiderman (possibly he'd be #2 next to supes IMO) but hes not superman.

supes could save or help 10,000 people before spidey could help 10. supes could stop a nuclear weapon, i doubt spidey could web up a nuclear warhead before it hit the ground and killed him and everything around him. supes could stop natural disasters, spidey couldn't stop it from snowing.

i mean to kill spiderman all you have to do is shoot him in the face, not very "ultimate" if you ask me.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 02:05 AM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Weak. Totally weak argument. OK then if were going by powers alone then Supes still ain't #1. Surfer would kick his a$$ 10/10/. Surfer kicks his @ss 5 days a week, takes off for the weekend. Then comes back and does the same s**t on Monday. If you're talking powers, Spidey should be far from #2 dude. Being the Ultimate Superhero isn't about powers man, it's about character.

Last edited by I-Drop on Nov 16th, 2005 at 06:20 AM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 06:18 AM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Popularity-wise, yeah, Superman is top bananna. But power-wise, he is powerful boring. I'd pick a Green Lantern over Superman for that.

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
spiderman is NOT EVEN CLOSE to superman in terms of anything.

What about comedy? Spiderman is hilarious.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 07:51 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Being the Ultimate Superhero isn't about powers man, it's about character.

It's about both and more.

To me, the ultimate superhero should be the most powerful as well. But it's shouldn't be the only attribute that makes him ultimate. His powerfulness has to be complimented with other more superior superhero qualities like personality and super powers and the list goes on & on.

A list Superman has rightfully checked off completely, in my view..

Superman is the Ultimate Superhero.

Spiderman and Batman are just hero's. But they rawk too..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 09:14 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

So if it's about both, are you saying a person w/out powers can't be the ultimate?

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 06:35 AM
FistOfThe North

So if it's about both, are you saying a person w/out powers can't be the ultimate?

No, I am saying that. In fact I'm saying the opposite: That a person w/out powers can be ultimate. If Superman didn't exist lets assume, I'd say Batman would be the Ultimate.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 01:47 PM
I-Drop
Privateer

Bats isn't 2nd to Supes though, he's second to Spidey. Supes is 2nd to Batman(& that's only in DC).

Old Post Nov 20th, 2005 09:15 PM
Hegemon875
Archvillain

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
It's about both and more.

TO ME , the ultimate superhero should be the most powerful as well. But it's shouldn't be the only attribute that makes him ultimate. His powerfulness has to be complimented with other more superior superhero qualities like personality and super powers and the list goes on & on.

A list Superman has rightfully checked off completely, in my view..

Superman is the Ultimate Superhero.

Spiderman and Batman are just hero's. But they rawk too..

"To me" keywords I think, theres no way everyone can agree on who's the ultimate super hero because because everyone has a different definition on what a super hero is. If you think Superman is the ultimate super hero than he is. If you dont than he isnt.

BUT I'm totally with ya north supes is the only super hero I actually admire. Others I think are cool or badass or really powerful but theres only one hero that for some reason I look up to as a person and thats superman. wink

Old Post Nov 20th, 2005 11:26 PM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Bats isn't 2nd to Supes though, he's second to Spidey. Supes is 2nd to Batman(& that's only in DC).

Yeah, but that's a Wizard or DC fan poll telling you which comics characters more read and are more popular among fans. That's it.

And personally this fan poll wizard or Dc made up doesn't appeal to me because i happen to like Superman over both Spiderman and Batman anyway, point is, you not answering the question. Is Superman the Ultimate Superhero. And popularity doesn't determine that. Popularity and Ulimatism, (which isn't a word, lol) isn't the same thing.

For instance, who would you want around if you were in Hawaii with your family vacationing and all of a sudden one of those massive volcanoes erupted out the blue, with no warning and you were stuck with no where to get to in time to save yourself or your family. Who would you want around Spiderman or Superman. See the difference?

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 20th, 2005 11:30 PM