KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Dark City

Dark City
Started by: papabeard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dynamix

Love Dark City!! You can tell it was heavily influenced by German Expressionism. Set design were beautiful and the story was great as well.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2013 06:38 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Toby831
Restricted

Account Restricted

A man struggles with memories of his past, including a wife he cannot remember, in a nightmarish world with no sun and run by beings with telekinetic powers who seek the souls of humans.

stickers printing

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2013 06:47 AM
Toby831 is currently offline Click here to Send Toby831 a Private Message Find more posts by Toby831 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ckakarate1
Restricted

Account Restricted

nice one

Old Post May 17th, 2013 07:13 PM
ckakarate1 is currently offline Click here to Send ckakarate1 a Private Message Find more posts by ckakarate1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aquitaine

I saw the Director's Cut and now I think its a Brilliant film. Previously it was pretty good, but always wondered about the intro in particular that destroyed any mystery or anticipation.
Removing the intro and narration gave it more mystery and I wish I'd seen it that way first - I love people's expressions when they realise what the Dark City is in the DC. Now way? Yes way. Floating disc city and aliens!

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2014 07:52 AM
Aquitaine is currently offline Click here to Send Aquitaine a Private Message Find more posts by Aquitaine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I want to catch this flick

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2014 02:28 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

I know this thread is old, but glad to see one for this excellent movie.

I liked it because it is the most unpredictable movie I've ever seen. From the opening scene of the lead character holding a bloody knife standing over a dead hooker to the final battle made possible by an injection of a lifetime of memories through a syringe, there are surprises at every turn. By the time it was over, I felt like I'd been on a rollercoaster ride.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2016 01:44 PM
Kickballjedi is currently offline Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's a good movie to watch high.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2016 11:39 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kickballjedi
I know this thread is old, but glad to see one for this excellent movie.

I liked it because it is the most unpredictable movie I've ever seen. From the opening scene of the lead character holding a bloody knife standing over a dead hooker to the final battle made possible by an injection of a lifetime of memories through a syringe, there are surprises at every turn. By the time it was over, I felt like I'd been on a rollercoaster ride.
I still own this movie. I continue to love it.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 7th, 2016 01:20 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

One of my favorite movies of all time. Top 100 for sure.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2016 10:39 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I've always liked this movie, but I'm sort of afraid to go back and watch it again now (I haven't seen the Director's Cut yet) because Alex Proyas' more recent work (Knowing, Gods of Egypt) has been garbage. I'm afraid it will hurt my admiration for it. But alas, maybe I still will eventually..

Old Post Oct 15th, 2016 04:09 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Director's Cut is well worth watching. I just saw it two weeks ago, pretty good stuff.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2016 03:18 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Obviously, I'm a pretty big fan of this one. Prolly a top tenner. However, I have not seen the director's cut. I'll seek it out queeq.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2016 01:09 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

That you must!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2016 11:37 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I actually saw the Director's Cut for this cheap at Best Buy the other day. I may go back and get it, which would help motivate me to watch it again...

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 01:53 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

What's funny is that, even though this is one of my favorite films, I have it on DVD as a 3-movie special: Dark City, The Hidden, and The Island of Dr. Moreau (Brando, Thewlis, and Kilmer version)! Blu-ray Director's Cut needs to happen!

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 07:04 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Haha.. yeah, man. Splurge for the holidays and upgrade.

I like The Island of Dr. Moreau. Maybe partly nostalgia. I've never heard of The Hidden.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 02:46 PM
queeq
Chaos

Moreau? *shudder*

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2016 08:40 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Good news!

I watched The Director's Cut and Proyas' more recent work did not really ruin my enjoyment of it. This still holds up as a solidly well-made film. I had forgotten how good the sets and lighting and all were. The music also really stands out very well. It was funny watching a movie that I only remembered bits and pieces of considering the movie is very much about memory itself. heh.. So certain lines that I remembered as a kid kind of game me Deja Vu moments.. it's was odd. But anyway...

To me the floating skyline in space and 'machines' underneath are a little cheesy and keeps the film from truly being a masterpiece. I think a little thicker mythology on an actual planet would have been a bit more interesting and believable. But as a little stand-alone gem it's still a great piece of work.

I had forgotten that Roger Ebert was a huge admirer of the film. If I remember correctly I think he preferred it to The Matrix. It's has a nice little nostalgic old-timey detective feel to it that The Matrix doesn't have, but I still think The Matrix is far superior. But then again it took 3 films and multiple other stories to tell that story, while Dark City is just one film. So they are both good for what they are.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2016 08:03 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Oh, forgot to mention that I really couldn't tell what was added or subtracted for the Director's Cut. It felt like basically the same film to me, but it had easily been 12+ years since I saw it.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2016 08:40 PM
omgchos
The Man From Ireland

Anyone know where i can find shell beach?

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 03:09 AM
omgchos is currently offline Click here to Send omgchos a Private Message Find more posts by omgchos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote