KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!

Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!

Post who you think altered popular music (including all sub genres and labels the pretentious wish to apply) and why?

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 10:57 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Elvis definitely. He's at the heart of every single rock n' roll song. And I won't name the other 9 for fear of reprisals.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 10:59 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by amity75
Elvis definitely. He's at the heart of every single rock n' roll song.

Agreed

2 ) The same can be said of the Beatles in my opinion Lennon and Mccartney were geniuses.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 11:10 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

In no particular order:

1) Elvis
2) The Beatles
3) Bob Dylan
4) ed Zeppelin
5) Back Sabbath
6) Pink Floyd
7) The Velvet Underground
8) Jimi Hendrix
9) David Bowie
10) The Rolling Stones

Honrable mentions: The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Brian Eno

Newer Bands that had Major Influence:

Pixies, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, REM, Metallica, Talking Heads, Rage Against the Machine, Green Day (admit it)

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 11:31 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
In no particular order:

1) Elvis
2) The Beatles
3) Bob Dylan
4) ed Zeppelin
5) Back Sabbath
6) Pink Floyd
7) The Velvet Underground
8) Jimi Hendrix
9) David Bowie
10) The Rolling Stones

Honrable mentions: The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Brian Eno

Newer Bands that had Major Influence:

Pixies, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, REM, Metallica, Talking Heads, Rage
Against the Machine, Green Day (admit it)

The Kinks spawned both Heavy Metal and Britpop I would put them above most here.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 11:40 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't have ten, but Faith No More would be my number 1. Maybe Bowie.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 11:56 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't have ten, but Faith No More would be my number 1. Maybe Bowie.

-AC

Bowie yes. Reasons for Faith no More please, because I am gobsmacked.

I think Run DMC should be in any 10 myself and Tangerine Dream.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 12:33 AM
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

I'm sorry but Chuck Berry has to be somewhere on the list. I'm not saying number one, but he was a pioneer of rock n roll. He is also one of the best guitarist in the world.

Like Lennon once said: "If you tried to give Rock & Roll another name, you might try calling it Chuck Berry".

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Last edited by Darth Macabre on Feb 6th, 2006 at 01:25 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 01:22 AM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Bowie yes. Reasons for Faith no More please, because I am gobsmacked.

I think Run DMC should be in any 10 myself and Tangerine Dream.

Have you heard Faith No More? Do you have any scope of how many bands exist because of Mike Patton and his music? He has had an immense influence over artist of many genres.

I suggest you go listen to some. There are your reasons. Better yet, browse his back catalogue.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Feb 6th, 2006 at 01:39 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 01:37 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

Ray Charles, chuck berry, frank sinatra, aretha franklin, michael jackson, nas

DarkCrawler >>> Your Favorite Sig-Maker

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 01:44 AM
#16 is currently offline Click here to Send #16 a Private Message Find more posts by #16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

It's easy to be influential when you were the first musicians in a modern genre.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 02:00 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly.

As soon as Mike Patton joined Faith No More, Metallica (an already established band) started crediting them as influences.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 02:06 AM
knight
AFL1-3603

Ray Davies - THE KINKS
Dave Davies - THE KINKS
Peter Shelly - BUZZCOCKS
Seve Harley - COCKNEY REBEL
Peter Green - FLEETWOOD MAC
Mike Fleetwood - FLEETWOOD MAC
Mike Oldfield
Freddie Mercury -QUEEN
Joe Strummer - THE CLASH
Stuart Adamson - THE SKIDS & BIG COUNTRY

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 02:15 AM
knight is currently offline Click here to Send knight a Private Message Find more posts by knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Interesting thread, Whirly.

Beatles, first and foremost-no question.

In no order from here on out....

Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones
Ray Charles
Jimi Hendrix
The Who
Zepellin
Nirvana
Aretha Franklin
lastly....hmm?

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 06:09 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why no question?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 06:39 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Have you heard Faith No More? Do you have any scope of how many bands exist because of Mike Patton and his music? He has had an immense influence over artist of many genres.

I suggest you go listen to some. There are your reasons. Better yet, browse his back catalogue.

-AC

No need I saw them at Rock City Nottingham in about 1990 your point?

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:26 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

My point was why ask me what my reasons are for having them number 1? Why do I believe that? Because you only need look at all the bands his music has spawned or at least influenced. However, you do genuinely seem to be so far out of touch with anything remotely modern that it's not surprising you're unaware. I mean that as a genuine deduction, not a diss or anything.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:29 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

AC, no other band is mentioned more often when it comes to asking band members or musicians who they were most or in part influenced by.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:31 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

My point was why ask me what my reasons are for having them number 1? Why do I believe that? Because you only need look at all the bands his music has spawned or at least influenced. However, you do genuinely seem to be so far out of touch with anything remotely modern that it's not surprising you're unaware. I mean that as a genuine deduction, not a diss or anything.

-AC

Well it can be taken both ways. laughing out loud The irony of your comment will not be lost on many. It's cool you think your alternative wink and I don't mean that as a "diss" (whatever new fangled kind of word "diss" is) either "homes". smile

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:32 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BobbyD
AC, no other band is mentioned more often when it comes to asking band members or musicians who they were most or in part influenced by.

They're a name to drop. I seriously doubt half the people who say it have actually been influenced.

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Well it can be taken both ways. laughing out loud The irony of your comment will not be lost on many. It's cool you think your alternative wink and I don't mean that as a "diss" (whatever new fangled kind of word "diss" is) either "homes". smile

Doesn't disprove the fact that you're an old guy stuck in the days of his youth, refusing to accept that music has moved on. You play the age card against me all the time but it's not me who wanders into this forum looking uneducated is it? You're genuinely out of touch with all the great modern music post 95. No wonder you don't understand why I voted FNM as number 1.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:36 PM