KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!

Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BobbyD
Animal Lover

AC, you don't have to like it. That's ok. But, a lot of people in the music industry say so.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:39 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
They're a name to drop. I seriously doubt half the people who say it have actually been influenced.

Read this again.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:42 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

They're a name to drop. I seriously doubt half the people who say it have actually been influenced.

Doesn't disprove the fact that you're an old guy stuck in the days of his youth, refusing to accept that music has moved on. You play the age card against me all the time but it's not me who wanders into this forum looking uneducated is it? You're genuinely out of touch with all the great modern music post 95. No wonder you don't understand why I voted FNM as number 1.

-AC

Really when I listen to most music today you can tell how little it's moved on. I have a great deal of post ninety five music. Truth is music goes in fashions as you get older (you played the youth card laughing out loud ) you will understand this more.

Your own tastes also change a bit, I used to enjoy more aggressive music, but as I have grown older I enjoy people who speak to me at the age I am now in their songs. Is that a bad thing - Not in my opinion, now I own a house and have a stable relationship, good job, finished my education and am expecting a baby, most twenty years olds music has little to say to me. It will have little to say to you one day, you can only have so much angst and you will fondly remember the angst filled bands of your youth although you will play them less and less.

smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:42 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

I'm following you now. Interesting.....

...would be kind of weird though to say it and not believe it. But, I could see how most new bands would want others to perceive themselves as having a sense of history, and knowing their craft, seem intelligent, blah, blah, blah instead of just trying to make a "quick buck".

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:44 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Really when I listen to most music today you can tell how little it's moved on. I have a great deal of post ninety five music. Truth is music goes in fashions as you get older (you played the youth card laughing out loud ) you will understand this more.

The music is all still in existence though: one need only listen to it with an eye on the chronological details; living through it isn't compulsory.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:48 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Doesn't though does it? That's you being bitter because music HAS changed a great deal and it's no longer how you like it. I'm sorry but that's just tough. When I get older I'm sure music will again be greatly different than now, but that's what happens. Music changes, musicians get older and musicians die. They can't be around forever and things can't stay the same.

Music has changed a great deal, you just don't like what it's changed to.

Your own tastes also change a bit, I used to enjoy more aggressive music, but as I have grown older I enjoy people who speak to me at the age I am now in their songs. Is that a bad thing - Not in my opinion, now I own a house and have a stable relationship, good job, finished my education and am expecting a baby, most twenty years olds music has little to say to me. It will have little to say to you one day, you can only have so much angst and you will fondly remember the angst filled bands of your youth although you will play them less and less.

smile

Hahahaha! How ironic, you complain about music becoming phases or fashions and yet YOU grew out of it because the musical trend you were into happened to pass. Irony at it's best. What a love of music YOU had, eh?

The difference between you and I is that you chose to listen to bands who WERE angst filled and speaking "to you", as said above. I love music, what they're speaking about doesn't matter to me.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:49 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
The music is all still in existence though: one need only listen to it with an eye on the chronological details; living through it isn't compulsory.

Of course not and most of it is more prevalent than the stuff you and AC lord some of which is not bad at all. But it's prevalence shows how influential it still is.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:50 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by BobbyD
I'm following you now. Interesting.....

...would be kind of weird though to say it and not believe it. But, I could see how most new bands would want others to perceive themselves as having a sense of history, and knowing their craft, seem intelligent, blah, blah, blah instead of just trying to make a "quick buck".

Happens all the time. The Beatles in popular music, while the trend du jour in metal is to name Black Sabbath.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:51 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Of course not and most of it is more prevalent than the stuff you and AC lord some of which is not bad at all. But it's prevalence shows how influential it still is.

None of it is bad, son.

It was better in my day (today).

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:52 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

The difference between you and I is that you chose to listen to bands who WERE angst filled and speaking "to you", as said above. I love music, what they're speaking about doesn't matter to me.

-AC

So you like the music but the song never sings to your soul, I get it the poetry means little to you. Thats OK I'll take Soul over Content anyday.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:53 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Agreed, Vic about Black Sabbath and what not. The only difference is the Beatles touched waaaay more people whether true or fictitously (as AC has said, which I won't discount altogether-it's a half truth).

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:54 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by BobbyD
Agreed, Vic about Black Sabbath and what not. The only difference is the Beatles touched waaaay more people whether true or fictitously (as AC has said, which I won't discount altogether-it's a half truth).

Depends who you ask. However it's important to maintain the distinction between popularity and influence.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:56 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

So you like the music but the song never sings to your soul, I get it the poetry means little to you. Thats OK I'll take Soul over Content anyday.

Where did you get that from? The music is extremely important to me and touches my "soul" more than anything.

Hence why it will always mean as much to me. I don't like any of the bands I do due to trends, you obviously did and to you the lyrics were obviously so important that your love decreased when you got older.

Won't happen with me because lyrics don't mean much to me, music does. Music is timeless.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:57 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

I think I have, despite the affinity for them. I have nothing against Black Sabbath. In a previous thread, I had them as the best hard rock/metal band of all time, just based on their sheer influence alone.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 07:58 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Where did you get that from? The music is extremely important to me and touches my "soul" more than anything.

Hence why it will always mean as much to me. I don't like any of the bands I do due to trends, you obviously did and to you the lyrics were obviously so important that your love decreased when you got older.

Won't happen with me because lyrics don't mean much to me, music does. Music is timeless.

-AC

Trust me you listen to bands because of trends - You're "Alternative" thats cool I like the Jesus and Mary Chain they were "deep". laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:01 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Trust me you listen to bands because of trends - You're "Alternative" thats cool I like the Jesus and Mary Chain they were "deep". laughing out loud

Hahaha, oh dear. Now you're desperately resorting to telling me why I listen to bands? Just about out of ammo aren't you Whirly?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:04 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hahaha, oh dear. Now you're desperately resorting to telling me why I listen to bands? Just about out of ammo aren't you Whirly?

-AC

Resorting to telling me i'm out of ammo really is empty AC remember and act on this wink

There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:07 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wait wait, I thought you were joking.

You genuinely believe you can tell me why I choose to listen to bands...and be right? I always thought you were a pretend idiot, not an actual one.

I don't and never have listened to bands because of trends. You have, but that's not my fault. I haven't and your self-disappointment for following trends doesn't mean I have done so.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:10 PM
Funkadelic

Prince and Elvis definately.

It's an image worth pondering for a moment. Maybe, when you cut past the instrumental and songwriting virtuosity, the funny voices and characters, what is left is a man alone in his recording studio for days at a time.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:12 PM
Funkadelic is currently offline Click here to Send Funkadelic a Private Message Find more posts by Funkadelic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wait wait, I thought you were joking.

You genuinely believe you can tell me why I choose to listen to bands...and be right? I always thought you were a pretend idiot, not an actual one.

I don't and never have listened to bands because of trends. You have, but that's not my fault. I haven't and your self-disappointment for following trends doesn't mean I have done so.

-AC

AC as usual you misunderstand

To call you an idiot would not only be a waste of precious breath, but also an insult to idiots worldwide. We can trade insults all day laughing out loud Truth is you just don't get it.

Originally posted by Da preacher
Prince and Elvis definately.

an intelligent post, learn from it AC wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:16 PM