KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Official Boxing Thread

Official Boxing Thread
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (75): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hancock1

Whos next for Cotto?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 01:10 AM
Hancock1 is currently offline Click here to Send Hancock1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hancock1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

he wants to fight hatton or mayweather... not sure if that will happen or not though. I think Hatton and mayweather should have a unification fight, and then let Cotto have 1 more prep fight and if he does great again, give him a title shot at the unified belt vs the hatton mayweather winner. Doesnt that sound fun?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 04:07 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
i thought someone would've mentioned the joe calzahge vs jeff lacy fight from last night...absolutely fantastic...calzaghe was outstanding the entire fight despite being the considered the underdog...it was generally thought that this would be the fight that calzahge would hand the baton over to lacy to be the next dominating champion of super middle weight...instead calzahge took him apart in every round

credit where credit is due though...i haven't seen a fighter take that much of a beating and either be knocked out or have the fight stopped...lacy only went down once in the last round but he could barely see as both eyes were badly cut

credit also has to be given to the ref who understood fully the importance of the unification title fight and thus gave lacy every opportunity by not stopping the fight

points were 119-107, 119-107, 119-105 to calzahge

best fight i've seen in quite a few years

Calzaghe out boxed, out fought out everything... he was better than Lacy in every department. That was the best I have seen Calzaghe for some time. just goes to show what he can do when both his hands are healthy.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 01:15 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by jaden101
i thought someone would've mentioned the joe calzahge vs jeff lacy fight from last night...absolutely fantastic...calzaghe was outstanding the entire fight despite being the considered the underdog...it was generally thought that this would be the fight that calzahge would hand the baton over to lacy to be the next dominating champion of super middle weight...instead calzahge took him apart in every round

credit where credit is due though...i haven't seen a fighter take that much of a beating and either be knocked out or have the fight stopped...lacy only went down once in the last round but he could barely see as both eyes were badly cut

credit also has to be given to the ref who understood fully the importance of the unification title fight and thus gave lacy every opportunity by not stopping the fight

points were 119-107, 119-107, 119-105 to calzahge

best fight i've seen in quite a few years

I had to watch the re-run on the morning because I fell asleep during the second warm-up fight but...yeah... Calzaghe just took him apart for 12 rounds and Lacy was billed as quite a good fighter back home.

That was actually the first time I'd seen Calzaghe fight, I'd seen the Williams-Skelton fight also a week ago and that was terrific.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 09:48 AM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

no suprise mayweather took it to judah and somewhat dominated him. The punch totals were sad for judah. The fact that Judah tried to cheat in the 10th is just pathetic as well. For those of you who dont know, byu the 10th the fight was about over unless judah could knock out mayweather. So judah punched him in the balls and then when he kealed over form the obvious low blow he hit him in the back of the head as the ref tried to protect him. then a small riot happened with trainers and other people flooding the ring in a mini brawl.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2006 05:59 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

can someone give me the names of the top boxers in each division please?
im curuious

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post May 21st, 2006 05:10 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

man I think Rocky Juarez deserved a victory last night but im very happy he didnt get a loss, a draw is a fiar decision i suppose but i really think he did a great job against an amazing fighter.

Old Post May 21st, 2006 08:41 PM
forumcrew

Originally posted by Deano
can someone give me the names of the top boxers in each division please?
im curuious

Heavyweights: Truth is this division is garbage. Wladimir Klitschko (46-3) is the best in it right now but that doesnt say a lot.
Hasim Rahman (41-5-2)
James Toney (69-4-3)
Chris Byrd (39-3-1)
are some other top heavyweights

Light Heavy:
Antonio Tarver (24-3) hes one of the best fighters in the world period
truthfully theres no real competition for him from guys who fight at light heavy regularly, but a lot of guys move around weight classes and Tarver is one of them. So im going to throw out some guys between middle weight, supper middle, and light heavy:

Roy Jones Jr. (49-4)
Jermain Taylor (25-0) (absolute BEAST)
Winky Wright (50-3)
Bernard Hopkins (46-4-1)

The next 2 are both at supper middle and while are both good, are not in the same league as the guys above:
Joe Calzaghe (41-0)
Jeff Lacy (21-1)

Junior Middle:
Oscar De La Hoya (38-4) (he can fight at higher or lower weight as well)
Roman Karmazin (34-1-1)
Shane Mosley (42-4)
Fernando Vargas (26-3)

Welterweight:
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (36-0) (heavily considered the best fighter in the world -- himself taylor and tarver are the top 3 id say)
Arturo "Thunder" Gatti (40-7)
Carlos Baldomir (42-9-6)
Antonio Margarito (33-4)
Luis Collazo (26-1)
Zab Judah (34-4)

Junior welterweight:
Ricky Hatton (41-0) (hes one of my favorite fighters around right now 30 wins by KO)
Miguel Cotto (26-0)
Kostya Tszyu (31-2)

Lightweight:
Jose Luis Castillo (54-7-1)
Diego "Chico" Corrales (40-3)
Acelino "Popo" Freitas (38-1)
Jesus Chavez (43-3) (serius injury may knock him out of these discsuions unfortunatly)
Juan Diaz (29-0)

JUNIOR LIGHTWEIGHTS:
Manny Pacquiao (41-3-2)
Marco Antonio Barrera (61-4)
Erik Morales (48-4)
Rocky Juarez (25-2-0) (should be either (26-1-0) or (25-1-1) but he was screwed over last night)

Thats as low as im going because the competition starts to fall off when you get into guys weighing 120 and less.

The best talent is by far in the lower weights as far as the most competition. Also a lot of these guys move up and down to make for great fights they are not stuck in just a single weight class.

Hope that helps!

Old Post May 21st, 2006 09:00 PM
Deano

nice one! you know your stuff.

ive started to get into boxing again, i agree juarez got screwed over.

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post May 22nd, 2006 02:53 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hancock1

Good Thread

Old Post May 28th, 2006 07:29 PM
Hancock1 is currently offline Click here to Send Hancock1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hancock1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

HUGE fight tonight. "The Magic Man" Tarver is taking on "The Executioner" Bernard Hopkins tonight in Atlantic City. This fight is a giant one for both of their careers, as it is supposed to be B-hops last fight ever, and Tarver still has a lot left to do, but this would be a nice add on to the resume.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 10:21 PM
forumcrew

-edit im not sure why i said tarver has a lot left to do, but he certainly isnt done after this fight, but he is getting up there with B-Hop there has been some talk about him going after a heavyweight title, mainly if someone (klitchko) could unify the division.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 01:15 AM
forumcrew

wow so far its Hopkins 30 Tarver 27, and Bhop is really making him move and work, I think hes banking on Tarvers body giving out on him because of all the weight change hes had to go through.

live updates:

Round 5! Tarver goes down -- well sorta. His glove hit the mat ref rulled it a knockdown, hop gets 10-8

6: another solid round for Bhop

7: save as 6, crowd heavily for Bhop i dont think i mentioned that.
Unofficial scorecard
Tarver: 9, 9, 9, 10, 8, 9, 9
Hopkins: 10, 10, 10, 9, 10, 10, 10

Last edited by forumcrew on Jun 11th, 2006 at 03:37 AM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 03:23 AM
forumcrew

well Tarver looked awfull, the weight loss maybe?

Scores are 118-109, 118-109 and 118-109

all for the winner and NEW light heavyweight champion of the world, Bernard Hopkins

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 03:59 AM
Deano

hatton will be fighting mayweather soon it appears

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 01:58 PM
forumcrew

i think hatton is in trouble. Hes gonna have to catch mayweather with some really hard shots early to slow him down. I dont think hatton can ever win it in a decision.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 06:11 PM
Deano

he'll go for the body as much as possible. should be a great fight though

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 07:08 PM
forumcrew

how official is this? I thought mayweather and the golden boy were gonna fight next for a massive pay day.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 07:09 PM
Mattomic

Ooooooh, I gotta give the edge to Mayweather, and i'm English

I just think he's technically better and has the tools to beat Hatton, Hatton is an ugly fighter, just tries to slug out wins which is a good tactic, but when you get in the wrong with a guy as talented and as evasive as Mayweather, it only serves as detrimental to Hatton's style

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 08:41 PM
Mattomic is currently offline Click here to Send Mattomic a Private Message Find more posts by Mattomic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

yea im a fan of hattons as well.. just think this is a terrible fight for him.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 09:37 PM