KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Official Boxing Thread

Official Boxing Thread
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (75): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mattomic

Joe Calzaghe vs. Bernard Hopkins is in the pipeline apparently, both parties have expressed interest in making it happen, but if Joe performs the way he did the other night, he'll be going for an early shower

Old Post Oct 18th, 2006 12:27 PM
Mattomic is currently offline Click here to Send Mattomic a Private Message Find more posts by Mattomic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

^
That should be a good fight, if the 'pride of Wales' shows up to fight the way he did against Lacey. He didn't look too impressive in his last fight against Saiko 'The Scorpion' Bika. <- Btw, that has to be one of the coolest names ever. He'll prob get more fights on that alone.

Btw, with all this talk about Mayweather, let's not get a head of ourselves and forget that he still has to take care of business at hand and that's Carlos Baldomir. And where's the Castillo rematch?

Also, what ever happened to Kostya Zsu and for that matter Naseem Hamed?

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Oct 20th, 2006 07:23 PM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

Mayweather easily beat baldormir. And now he is gonna do 1 more fight and then retire! It better be him vs De La Hoya.. and if not at least Cotto or Hatton. But I wanna see mayweather vs De La Hoya with Cotto vs Hatton that same night.. what a great night of fighting that would be.

Also Peter Manfredo from the contendor MIGHT be fighting Roy Jones.. that would be the worst idea for jones cause it means nothing if he wins and is devistating if he loses.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 09:56 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Klichko flattened another pathetic apponnent "Brock" was K,O´d in the seventh.

Whats happened to Heavyweight boxing, its become rather pathetic with all these belts and lumbering Russians/Ukranians holding titles

Old Post Nov 12th, 2006 04:36 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

the heavyweight division is terrible. an outsider could be tricked into thinking klitchko is a good fighter.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2006 06:43 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Where are all the top US heavyweights gone? too busy plying american football eh, more money less pain, better looks and no brain damage?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 04:53 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Where are all the top US heavyweights gone? too busy plying american football eh, more money less pain

Yeah. Too bad they never chose soccer, for I think the toe stubs and shin splints scared them off. I guess they just had to settle for the head concussions, torn ACL's, broken limbs, dislocated shoulders, cracked ribs, and momentary paralyses.

Last edited by botankus on Nov 14th, 2006 at 05:37 PM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:33 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

there are plenty of great boxers... simply at lower weights.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 09:01 PM
Deano

Originally posted by botankus
Yeah. Too bad they never chose soccer, for I think the toe stubs and shin splints scared them off. I guess they just had to settle for the head concussions, torn ACL's, broken limbs, dislocated shoulders, cracked ribs, and momentary paralyses.

well soccer is the best sport in the world....

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 09:31 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

good win for harrison tonight. fully deserved

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 02:34 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chris_64256
?

Originally posted by Deano
well soccer is the best sport in the world....

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 04:37 AM
chris_64256 is currently offline Click here to Send chris_64256 a Private Message Find more posts by chris_64256 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gabrielangel

Has anyone else noticed that Professional boxers today drop their left hand more than ever before.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 05:42 AM
gabrielangel is currently offline Click here to Send gabrielangel a Private Message Find more posts by gabrielangel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

Originally posted by teampac08
Nah, there's room for debate on that. Pound for pound list changes often. And while Mayweather is perhaps the most talented boxer right now, he hasnt proved his greatness recently. He hasnt fought as great a schedule as let's say Pacquiao or Wright. When people put someone like Pacquiao over Mayweather, it's because Pacquiao's fought harder opposition and has been successful at it.

moving the convo over here.

I dont see how you could say mayweather has fought easier competition recently. Mayweather has taken on gotti, judah and baldomir within the last 2 years. And oh yea hes never lost. Not saying being undefeated makes you the best, but winning just under 90% of your fights (Pacquiao) does hurt your chances at being #1 (to me)

Really for me above everything else it just comes down to how freaking smart and talented he is. He could win without ever knocking anyone out, and the only way he is gonna lose a fight is because of the punchers chance. No one is gonna beat him in a decision because he has the best technical skills far above and beyond the level of anyone else.

Oh and hes still very tough. Judah nailed him with a low blow and followed it directly with a blow to the back of the head and mayweather still didnt go down. Also after this he stayed smart, stayed defensive and finished the fight with an easy win. A lot of fighters are too dumb and lack control and go get into brawls in these situations which always leaves that opening that you could go down and shortens your career taking un needed blows.

I didnt buy into all the mayweather hype at first, especially because he isnt always the most exciting fighter to watch. But Ive now seen the majority of his fights and its just mezmerizing watching him work.

Last edited by forumcrew on Mar 30th, 2007 at 02:08 AM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 02:04 AM
teampac08
Love and War

Originally posted by forumcrew
moving the convo over here.

I dont see how you could say mayweather has fought easier competition recently. Mayweather has taken on gotti, judah and baldomir within the last 2 years. And oh yea hes never lost. Not saying being undefeated makes you the best, but winning just under 90% of your fights (Pacquiao) does hurt your chances at being #1 (to me)

Really for me above everything else it just comes down to how freaking smart and talented he is. He could win without ever knocking anyone out, and the only way he is gonna lose a fight is because of the punchers chance. No one is gonna beat him in a decision because he has the best technical skills far above and beyond the level of anyone else.

Oh and hes still very tough. Judah nailed him with a low blow and followed it directly with a blow to the back of the head and mayweather still didnt go down. Also after this he stayed smart, stayed defensive and finished the fight with an easy win. A lot of fighters are too dumb and lack control and go get into brawls in these situations which always leaves that opening that you could go down and shortens your career taking un needed blows.

I didnt buy into all the mayweather hype at first, especially because he isnt always the most exciting fighter to watch. But Ive now seen the majority of his fights and its just mezmerizing watching him work.

You cant compare Gatti, Judah, and Baldomir to Barrera, Morales,and Marquez. Gatti is exciting to watch but he's not very talented and has always lost the bigger fights of his career. Judah has talent, but always lacked focus. Baldomir beat an overrated Gatti and Judah. Barrera, Morales, and Marquez are all hall of fame worthy fighters. Pacquiao has destroyed Barrera by tko, Morales was knocked out twice, and even the judge who scored a decision in favor of a draw knew that Marquez shouldve lost by a point to Pac. Yes talent is important in the pound for pound list, but so is competition. As of these past few years Mayweather's competition is no where near the level of Pacquiao's. Pac lacks skill, but posseses an unreal amount of speed and power for his size. Not to mention his relentless attack and pace more than makes up for his lack of boxing skills.

Last edited by teampac08 on Mar 30th, 2007 at 02:30 AM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 02:27 AM
teampac08 is currently offline Click here to Send teampac08 a Private Message Find more posts by teampac08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

I wish Mayweather would not retire. I would like to see cotto and hatton fight for the right to fight mayweather after he fights oscar de la hoya. Hell id like to see cotto and hatton fight anyway.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 05:17 AM
teampac08
Love and War

I wish Mayweather would not retire. I would like to see cotto and hatton fight for the right to fight mayweather after he fights oscar de la hoya. Hell id like to see cotto and hatton fight anyway.

This is what I was thinking too. Instead of fighting overrated boxers like Gatti, Judah, and Baldomir he should have went against better boxers like Cotto, Margarito, Hatton, and even Williams. That wouldve solidified his ranking in the pound for pound list even more. Cotto vs Hatton would be a great fight, I'd give it to Cotto though because he's naturally the bigger fighter. Hatton has a chance if they fought at a lower catch weight. Cant wait for Hatton vs Castillo though.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 05:55 AM
teampac08 is currently offline Click here to Send teampac08 a Private Message Find more posts by teampac08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teampac08
Love and War

By the way, who's going for who in the Hopkins vs Wright fight. I have this gut feeling that Wright's going to win.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 06:03 AM
forumcrew

I would go with wright also. Has there been any talk of wright and taylor having a rematch after the draw?

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 06:12 PM
teampac08
Love and War

I would go with wright also. Has there been any talk of wright and taylor having a rematch after the draw?

Been talks but an agreement on both sides has never fully materialized.
Wright shouldve won that match, but I expect Taylor to get it next time. He was hurting Wright with his punches but his biggest mistake in that fight was getting stuck in the ropes too often. That gave Wright the opportunity to hurt him.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 07:37 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i'm looking forward to the big fight this weekend

Joe Calzaghe v Peter Manfredo Jnr

personally i think Calzaghe will destroy him...if he battered Jeff Lacy senseless for 12 rounds then he'll wipe the floor with Manfredo.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 4th, 2007 10:28 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote